BCS/NOLA/WHAT MADE ME HAPPY TODAY THREAD

jabe

My wife and one of her sisters arrived in NOLA yesterday to attend the BCS Championship game between LSU and BAMA on Monday night.

What made me happy today is that I gave my wife some money to place on three outside bets on roulette at Harrahs. Won two out of three.

Just got off the phone with her, they are having a blast in New Orleans. Crazy as usual.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Thanks, BUCK'EYE' DOC! I believe the future to be much brighter for your alma mater in the near future. We'll be keeping an eye on Ohio State.

Strider, if Oklahoma State got screwed, so did Stanford. I'm guessing a tweaking of the BCS may be in the pipeline.

Say a plus one, like some the talking heads are promoting. In this case, the Tide would have played Oklahoma State and Stanford would've played LSU in regular BCS bowl games. The two winners play for the title.

To paraphrase Peter Grant: "As long as another nickle can be made off the exploitation of college football..."

College football remains the one sport that follows their great regular season with a comedy of errors "Let's Make a Deal"-type postseason. It was true back in the old bowl days and it still remains susceptible to shenanigans in the BCS era.

Wait...I should say Division 1, or FBS College football, because all the other levels of college football, along with all other NCAA college sports, crown a TRUE champion with a playoff system.

Thanks to the craven greed and hypocrisy of the college presidents, boosters and the television networks, we won't be getting a playoff for major college football soon.

My point about Oklahoma St. was that they were the only one-loss team whose loss should've come with an asterisk. Stanford lost AT HOME to Oregon, who lost AT HOME to USC. Alabama lost already to LSU, fair and square.

Oklahoma St. lost in double-overtime, on the road, on the VERY DAY that they learned of the tragic plane crash that killed 2 members of Oklahoma St.'s basketball team.

Of all the one-loss teams, they were the ones most deserving of a spot in the title game against LSU.

We know already how great LSU's defense plays against offensively-deficient teams like Alabama and the SEC. It would have been interesting to see LSU go up against a viable offense like OK St.

^ I think the best match up is the one your gonna see tonight. LSU vs. Oklahoma wouldn't have made for such a game, as what will be. Both Bama and LSU have a very strong defense. I can' say that for any other. I honestly don't feel that Oklahoma is a better team than Bama either. They are ranked #2 for a reason.

Might come as a surprise to you, being I live in New Orleans, but I wouldn't care if Bama beat em' tonight. My problem with LSU is not with the team or players, but with the arrogant fans who are some of the most abnoxious, sore-losing/self absorbed fans you will ever come across. When they win, they rub it in, (AND THEY ACTUALLY EXPECT THEM TO WIN EVERY GAME) and when they lose-there is an excuse. It's never good enough, and that's the big difference between a Saints die-hard and an LSU nut. They hold LSU in the same breath with Jesus Christ. I can tolerate a normal college football fan, but I'd like to see LSU get beat, just to put it to those "over the top" fans who hold nothing in life more sacred. I also notice that most (but not all) don't give a shit about any other Louisiana team in the area besides LSU. They could care less about Tulane, UNO, SLU, etc. etc. And there are those who don't care much for The Saints either. (I don't get that). They are passionate fans for sure, but some of em' are way to overbearing.

There is a fellow who lives a few miles from me. His house and his vehicles are completely decorated with LSU stickers, ornaments, trinkets, designs, Tigers, etc. It looks like Santa's house, but with LSU shit instead of candycanes and toys. Totally abnoxious. It's like that all year around (not just for football season). To me, he is the epitome of a typical "over the top" LSU fan.

I feel they're better offensively.

We've ALREADY seen Alabama-LSU...it's a field goal contest, yawn. Two teams that are stylistically the same makes for an uninteresting matchup.

Oklahoma St. versus LSU would have been much more exciting to watch, and since Alabama lost to LSU, Oklahoma St. deserved to take their shot at LSU.

I feel they're better offensively.

We've ALREADY seen Alabama-LSU...it's a field goal contest, yawn. Two teams that are stylistically the same makes for an uninteresting matchup.

Oklahoma St. versus LSU would have been much more exciting to watch, and since Alabama lost to LSU, Oklahoma St. deserved to take their shot at LSU.

Yes, it was boring to watch and Bama had about 3 chances to end it with a few field goal attempts that fell short. Defense proved to be the factor on both sides which led to the low scoring. I will admit as anyone should that they have some screwed up rules of how they configure who plays who, but if Oklahoma ST. was to play LSU, it would be exciting only for LSU fans I believe.

I am a normal fan and I will always hope for the home state boys to win. But I don't go crazy when they do lose a game. Disappointed yes, but I am loyal:-)

Geaux TIGERS!!!!

I hear ya Deb, I didn't imagine you would be one of the ones (fans) I'm talking about-but you do know the kind, huh?

That's pretty much game over. Roll Tide.

LSU apparently left their game behind in 2011. Patheric display of offense and play calling. No life. No spirit. No smarts. LSU's QB was a joke.

Congrats to Alabama.

Ahhh yes, I smells me some redemption a brewin in da air. Looks like the same ol' game unfortunately- Defense,defense,defense. Only difference is that the field goals are clearing this time. And thank god for that-or it would be scoreless. (Oh, Bama just scored a TD) I can almost hear the excuse (or ton of excuses) now will be that they didn't play Jared Lee, poor coaching, blah,blah, etc.etc. I'll have to put it on 8.70 A.M. after the game to listen to the cryin from dem hard core fans after they get their cold hearts broken. (that's entertainment) It's already happenin' before their eyes. I love when the underdog pulls the rug out.

If your a normal LSU fan don't take this too seriously, I just highly enjoy seeing this happen for no other reason then shutting up the hard core abnoxious idiots who think they had this in the bag from day one. Not a jab to normal folks.

I am glad to see Bama come out hungry like they did all night. Very aggressive and beating LSU in every aspect of the game. No excuse, other than they got beat by a better team (at least tonight)

Maybe now Bama will get the recognition they deserve..........like McDonald's-I'm lovin it!

I've sat around for YEARS and had to listen to the LSU fight song played at every party, function, event, parade or otherwise with the scent of total "eliteness" in the air. This is my time to enjoy the moment - and it feels like freedom.

Already this morning, as would have guessed 8.70 a.m. radio/talk station here in town are talking LSU football. Topic is "What went wrong? was it poor coaching, something that killed the spirit of the team before the game, some hidden controversy, should they have played Jared Lee" The list goes on.

I would venture to say that LSU fanatics willl never let this one go. They can't face and get over the simple fact that they just got outplayed. The intial "shock" will last a while.

Archived