Biggest Surprise from the O2 show?

For me, the two surprising omissions were "Over the Hills" and "Achilles." I guess the last one was maybe just too long...

As for what was in fact played, going from "TSRTS" to "Misty Mountain Hop" to "Kashmir" seems really interesting.

The surprise for me was how brutal they sounded. Looking great in black, Jimmy in shades, and very loud, this was no 'going through the motions' cabaret band but the world's best being that again. I knew they'd be good but they blew me away completely.

As for the setlist, no real surprises; they couldn't have done everything we take for granted - if they'd played ALS then I guess one of the others such as NFBM would have been left out.

For me, the two surprising omissions were "Over the Hills" and "Achilles." I guess the last one was maybe just too long...

As for what was in fact played, going from "TSRTS" to "Misty Mountain Hop" to "Kashmir" seems really interesting.

I think that ALS was not done because the vocals in that are pretty tough and to save Roberts throat they didn't do it !! (My opinion anyway)

I'd say the whole song is a real workout,

not to mention a marathon

I wasn't there, but the first thing that comes to mind for the biggest surprise would be how awesome 'For Your Life' was. I thought Robert Plant really did a great job and it was really tight, especially considering it was the live debut.

The magnitude of the visuals was also well beyond my expectations.

I have umpteen million live versions of ALS and never really thought it worked that well live. Thought the 1980 version was as good as any (slightly tighter to my ears).

Always thought thier set lists were sometimes a bit unadventerous, not the impro bits or anything, just the choice of songs.

For instance (back in the day!), Custard Pie, Houses of the Holy, Night Flight and a complete Rover would have been good. Wanton Song was a classic the few times it was played. Certainly Tea for One would have been a good alternate slow blues number to SIBLY back in 77. Hots on for Nowhere would have been a great live track too.

Thought the O2 setlist was fabulous, was just surprised In the Evening wasnt wheeled out (kinda glad it wasnt) also was surprised at MMH, I also thought that it never worked particularly well, although the O2 recording sounds great. Finally with all the hype over When the Levee Breaks over the last 20 years (sampled most, greatest rythm track of all time etc etc) was half expecting that, but FYL was just awesome.

Biggest surprise for me when I couldnt get an XL t shirt was just how tight the L was!!!!! ;(

'The surprise for me was how brutal they sounded. Looking great in black, Jimmy in shades, and very loud, this was no 'going through the motions' cabaret band but the world's best being that again. I knew they'd be good but they blew me away completely.'

Totally agree hot Dog :)

All the best

andy

Archived