Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

Geezer

I disagree. at that date, Bill Grahams recordings were 90% likely to be proshot. Unless at such a big gig, he didn't care and hired an outside film crew. I THINK that they were recorded. Who knows if they kept recording when they saw the performance they were giving and when the issues broke out.

Edited by wilsoncb420

Case 2: Landover 77. I recently came across a recording of Heart in 78 at the Cap Centre. MY POINT, again, bc no-one got it before, I guess ???, is LOOK at where the cameras were located based on the camera angles. It is likely in house cameras. They were all in different locations back then, at different spots, lets say, at the kingdome, than the cap centre.

-does this mean to YOU that video recordings of landover 77 are still possible? If so, provide photos that rule out screens, in boxes or from above, or that show where the cameras were located at this show. (BTW the cap centre and pontiac videos are all awesome to me bc i know it is how ZEPs videos COULD *at least* look)

Heart, Capital Centre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95IYB4-LSgg

Aerosmith in Houston a month after Led Zeppelin, two consecutive nights filmed. No on-stage cameras, from similar angles as above. Now, I don't know if Aerosmith had this gig filmed for themselves....that needs to be researched. If not, this might be the strongest "evidence" that it's remotely possible.

Edit: the freeze frame/slow motion in between songs is reminiscent of the Seattle video that was used for the projection screens. Having said that, maybe Aerosmith did have the screens in use.

Edited by publicenemy3

T

Yes, you're right. With a little digging we may be able to come up with something. It's all moot, though, until there's a snippet of video or a screenshot.

Then if it does come out, LedZepFilm will perform his magic and synch it correctly. The guy does some good work and is pretty intense Zeppelin fan.

Could be interesting.

I don't understand one thing -- why was the screen even turned on (there were SMPTE color bars displayed on the screen) if there were no cameras at the venue?

b018e0dbd581499d02fb7b2977069f65.jpg

Edited by Geezer

Aerosmith in Houston a month after Led Zeppelin, two consecutive nights filmed. No on-stage cameras, from similar angles as above. Now, I don't know if Aerosmith had this gig filmed for themselves....that needs to be researched. If not, this might be the strongest "evidence" that it's remotely possible.

Edit: the freeze frame/slow motion in between songs is reminiscent of the Seattle video that was used for the projection screens. Having said that, maybe Aerosmith did have the screens in use.

speaking of, last year, I posted a video from houston of P Funk or some funk band from Houston in 78 or 79 and it had the same freeze frame between songs. There ya go. Fuel for the locomotive.Which is a good thing.

A quote from The Concert File about the May 4, 1973 show:

"A closed circuit TV system projected the concert onto giant screens for the benefit of distant spectators."

I would love to believe that the show exists as pro shot as much as the next guy, but just because it was filmed doesn't mean it was recorded.

But in 1977 it's completly moronic for the existence of only one concert from that tour, the biggest tour that Zeppelin. I would even go as far as saiyng that there are probably multitracks from the LA run from this tour and very possibly from 1975 to. We all know how Jimmy loved and felt about the way Zepp played when they were in Cali, so there is probably pro shots for those shows to. Not seeing cameraman doesn't mean the show wasn't, but there being a screen and and in house system projecting the footage so the fans can see clearly doesn't mean it was recorded either.

http://www.deangoodman.com/jimmy-page/

"We had Madison Square Garden numbers that didn’t make the film, and then the rest of the sources were video sources that were just relative to what was going on on the screens, on the gigs."

The concerts Jimmy is talking about can be: Atlanta 1973, Earls Court 23-24-25, Seattle, AND Pontiac. I seriously wonder whether he has the Pontiac footage.

http://www.deangoodman.com/jimmy-page/

"We had Madison Square Garden numbers that didn’t make the film, and then the rest of the sources were video sources that were just relative to what was going on on the screens, on the gigs."

The concerts Jimmy is talking about can be: Atlanta 1973, Earls Court 23-24-25, Seattle, AND Pontiac. I seriously wonder whether he has the Pontiac footage.

Knebworth wasn't intended to end up as a video DVD, probably as a live album, so yeah Jimmy was talking about those and many more others that were projected to the crowd that we don't know of. Zurich is possibly the same thing - multitracked show (we all know that Jimmy wanted to release a chronological live album with snogs from each year) and possibly a video too, as Knebs as said. I am fairly certain that there are at least two multitracked shows from each tour Zeppelin did from 1970 to 1980.

While I'm not in my usual whiskey stupor (apologies), heres a question. Pittsburgh '73. Why were two 16mm's rolling, how much is supposed to exist, and any ideas or guesses where it went? Heres a screenshot from a clip from a menu on DVD- http://www.ledzeppelin.com/photos/led-zeppelin/1972-1973/pittsburgh-1973-0. It is obviously 16mm. Now, see the guy on the right of the stage, stage left, kneeling and holding a camera? Exactly where the other video clip was filmed from?

What are the chances, if it was just brief segments, that two 16mm cameras were rolling at the same time? (No screens there AFAIK in 73)

Those cameraman probably filmed this

Most of that footage was shot from the right side of the stage. There was another cameraman positioned near the left side, shooting from below.

N0l3AVd.jpg

Edited by Geezer

Now that is very neat,I am so obsessed with these guys,I wish I could turn back time

Those cameraman probably filmed this:

They were probably friends of the band who just wanted to catch the moment, I doubt that it had anything to do with recording for a Live Album.

Most of that footage was shot from the right side of the stage. There was another cameraman positioned near the left side, shooting from below.

N0l3AVd.jpg

Again, it was just test footage. There is no doubt in my mind that they shot more than those two clips, but definitely not the entire concert.