NBA season Shorter than usual but its here

LedZeppfan77

Even though he's a DIE HARD BOSTON CELTIC FAN, Bill Simmons is my favourite NBA writer. Here's his take on the Dwight Howard to Lakers trade...love the hilarious part about Philly and "keeping things in perspective".

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8254854

I gave it a glimpse and got to the important parts. You cant expect people to read such long arcticles Strider. I mean, only so much energy. I agree with his take the winners are Lakers and Philly. The 76ers were on the rise already and this is exactly what they needed to ge to the next level. Expect the East to boil down to Miami, Philly, and maybe Chicago and perhaps someone I am overlooking. The Lakers will be hell to stop in the West. Fucking Steve Nash with Howard and Kobe!!!! I am happy for Nash that he may get his shot at a title. I do like the Clippers and I say they are a top four team in the West. But this Lakers team will be very tough to beat next year. The window is closing on Nash and Kobe and I think they are in the mindset to win it all right now of course. I believe the team they share the same court with will be their stiffest competition in the West.

Pops,did you read his book? :D

Did Red Auerbach like cigars? Did ML Carr like waving his towell? Of course I read Bill's basketball book...how could he be my favourite NBA writer and I not read his book?

It's a book I enjoy reading and rereading and arguing about with my brothers and other NBA fans.

I gave it a glimpse and got to the important parts. You cant expect people to read such long arcticles Strider. I mean, only so much energy.

I have never understood this stance by you against reading long articles...I don't even consider Bill's article that long. But I guess that's something we'll just have to agree to disagree on.

Not squashed, let time and facts prove who worked this deal to their favor...speculation is just that.

My opinion of Howard as a leader and a game closer is not high, good thing he has the "Black Momba" there to make the big shots down the stretch!

Not squashed, let time and facts prove who worked this deal to their favor...speculation is just that.

My opinion of Howard as a leader and a game closer is not high, good thing he has the "Black Momba" there to make the big shots down the stretch!

I think the Black Mamba and Steve Nash have a year or two tops left of being above average hall of famers. The clock is ticking on them for sure but I expect next year they have a huge shot. Howard is a force. Plain and simple. An animal.

^ I agree they'll be the team to beat this year, barring injuries. Just don't expect Howard to be the one to hit game winning shots or make free throws in clutch time. I believe I would root for the lakers in a finals v. the heat.

Who knows whether a lot of stars on the same team can work. It's not that simple: see the Knicks. There needs to be a certain chemistry established, and Howard is anything but a leader. In fact, he's known for joking around so much that it annoys teammates and opponents. Still, Kobe is cold blooded. If anybody can wipe the smile of the clown's face, it's Kobe. It'll likely work, and I'll root for LA should they meet the Heat in the final, but I won't like the fact that Howard will have gotten a ring after all his douchebaggery.

I'm not ready to go crazy just yet.

There's still a lot of "ifs" that the Lakers have to worry about if they want to bring another championship home.

IF Dwight Howard's back is truly fixed and he can be healthy for the playoffs.

IF Kobe's knees can hold up all season.

IF old man Steve Nash can last a season trying to keep up with the Russell Westbrooks of the League.

IF Pau Gasol can finally put out consistent effort now that the trade drama is over.

IF Mike Brown/Eddie Jordan can put in an offense that these players can flourish in. I hear the Princeton offense is being considered...I'm not sure that is optimal.

There are plenty of other ?...Metta World Peace, our bench, chemistry, etc.

I still would rank Miami and OKC above the Lakers. I have a friend who insists that the Clippers are still better than the Lakers.

We'll see...it should be an interesting season and David Stern has gotta love the attention the NBA is getting now, even in the midst of the Olympics. This will help drive up ratings and website hits.

BUT...even as a Laker fan, there was something a little distasteful about the whole affair that leaves a bitter taste, especially if you are a fan of the NBA and want a competitive league where every team has a shot. Small market and large market alike.

In an earlier post I called Dwight Howard the Brett Favre of the NBA. I was wrong...Dwightmare is actually worse than Favre.

Favre actually won a title, and it wasn't until the end of his career that his "will he or won't he?" dramas ensued. And even then, it was usually in the off-season.

Dwight Howard is an athlete in his prime, never won a damn thing, yet through his passive-aggressive wishy-washyness hamstrung the Orlando Magic for the better part of the last two seasons. There were at least two better offers that the Magic could have had...Houston's and Brooklyn's.

How and why the Magic made the deal they did will be something that will be investigated and hashed over for years to come. Not since Philly traded Moses Malone has a team got snookered so badly. And therein lies the true winner in all this mess...Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak.

Somehow in the span of a few months, bargaining from a position of weakness, Mitch turned the Lamar Odom mid-level exception into Steve Nash, a future hall of famer. Then he turned headcase Andrew Bynum into Dwight Howard WITHOUT having to give up Pau Gasol or take on too many deadweight contracts. Bang! The Lakers go immediately from old has-beens to instant contenders.

Mitch Kupchak played every other GM like he was Michael Corleone...calm, cool, cold-blooded. With balls of steel. All the other GM's stones shriveled up while Kupchak dropped his on the table and dared the others to look away.

Well played Mitch. I will never complain about you again or bitch that you're no Jerry West. First the Pau deal, then the Nash and now this...I am forever thankful you're on the Lakers side! You're the kind of GM every fan wishes their team had.

If I was a Knicks fan, I would be sitting there wondering why it is that the Knicks can never pull off these types of deals? Yeah, Dolan got Carmelo from Denver but he had to gut the Knicks to do it.

The Knicks play in New York in arguably the most famous arena in the world...why can't they do what the Lakers do?

The answer: Mitch Kupchak!

You gotta admit...the man's got minerals.

I will cheer for the Clippers. I believe they are better than OKC when totally healthy. But probably not quite as good as this Lakers starting 5. I believe for the short term your IF questions are all going to be achieved.

I think the 76ers can be the team to meet Miami in the Eastern fiinals.

A part of me wants to see Steve Nash get a riing

Archived