Found another Jack Bruce quote on Zep

RIP-IT-UP

Also, JPJ was already "in", from very close to the get-go, so why would they ask another bass player to join?

Not that I buy Jack Bruce's story, but theoretically at least, they could have had him as the lead singer rather than as a bassist. Keep in mind that Jack Bruce did about 95% of the lead vocals for Cream.

Keep in mind also that he sounded like a yodelling goat.

While I'm extremely glad that they ended up picking Plant, I still think Jack Bruce is a good singer/bassist. While you can find a lot of room to criticize the members of cream because of their personalities (Bruce, Baker), or their politics (Clapton), I really can't question their musicianship. They were sort of a precursor to Led Zeppelin in a way, and they would have been legendary if they had been able to stay together.

While I'm extremely glad that they ended up picking Plant, I still think Jack Bruce is a good singer/bassist. While you can find a lot of room to criticize the members of cream because of their personalities (Bruce, Baker), or their politics (Clapton), I really can't question their musicianship. They were sort of a precursor to Led Zeppelin in a way, and they would have been legendary if they had been able to stay together.

Cream aren't "legendary"? If not, they've certainly been cast in that light.

Cream aren't "legendary"? If not, they've certainly been cast in that light.

There's a lot more focus on Clapton as an individual than Cream as a group, because they were just so short lived, even if they were great while they lasted. Bands that lasted longer, like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, etc. get a lot more acclaim because their body of work was so much greater. One of the members of Boston is a family friend and I know a few other guys in the band as well. At one point, they were the biggest band in the US, even bigger than Zep because Presence wasn't really selling all that well. They still get played a lot on classic rock stations and get royalties, but they're not legends like Zep or even Aerosmith because they didn't stay together.

I don't know the first thing about Eric Clapton's "politics", have I been under a rock? He doesn't exactly strike me as Springsteen when it comes to being political in the public forum...

There's a lot more focus on Clapton as an individual than Cream as a group, because they were just so short lived, even if they were great while they lasted. Bands that lasted longer, like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, etc. get a lot more acclaim because their body of work was so much greater. One of the members of Boston is a family friend and I know a few other guys in the band as well. At one point, they were the biggest band in the US, even bigger than Zep because Presence wasn't really selling all that well. They still get played a lot on classic rock stations and get royalties, but they're not legends like Zep or even Aerosmith because they didn't stay together.

No matter how you slice it (and comparing their stature to that of Boston isn't doing them any favors), Cream are most definitely considered "legendary" despite of Clapton's notoriety with them and other bands. It's not like his presence in the band made people forget who Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker are.

Cream were legendary. Full stop. End of story.

The BBC did a documentary about them. Grown men were weeping in the streets upon the announcement of their disbandment. It took years for Rolling Stone magazine and other rock music press to get over the fact that Cream were no more. That's one reason Led Zeppelin took so much guff in the early days...people kept comparing them and trying to make them the next Cream.

I don't recall anybody doing a tv show about Boston in 1976. And yeah, "Boston" did sell more than "Presence". So did Wild Cherry. But being BIG is about more than album sales and Boston was not "BIGGER" than Led Zeppelin. Not in America. Not anywhere.

The first Boston album was incredible and it sold shitloads.

I believe it was the highest selling Debut release by any band until Appetite For Destruction came along in 1987-88.

I prefer their first album over any Cream album any day of the week. I'd throw Don't Look Back and 3rd Stage in there as well.

Brad Delp had one of the greatest voices ever.

I live fairly close to where he lived in New Hampshire and by all accounts, he was a wonderful person.

Boston and Peter Frampton ruled in the USA in 1976.

edit ... and KISS AND AEROSMITH.

But I wouldn't call them legendary either and I wouldn't say they were ever bigger than Led Zeppelin.... Led Zeppelin were pretty much keeping a low profile in 1976... I know that doesn't sound right with 2 albums and a movie released... but they weren't touring.

Honestly, I don't think anyone considered Presence a very commercial album either. The only hit single from Presence was Baracuda....

Led Zeppelin didn't tour in 1974 either and ELP was considered the biggest band of the year... Zeppelin roared back in 1975.

Cream were legendary and influenced a lot of bands that came along later.. including Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Van Halen.

I don't think anyone considered Presence a very commercial album either. The only hit single from Presence was Baracuda....

I "get" your Barracuda remark, (heard that one plenty times before- it's pretty funny) and I'm sure Heart themselves wouldn't deny their commercially successful take on Achilles Last Stand.

Back on topic-Cream made their mark, even if some of us (including myself) have no great Love for them.

I "get" your Barracuda remark, (heard that one plenty times before- it's pretty funny) and I'm sure Heart themselves wouldn't deny their commercially successful take on Achilles Last Stand.

Back on topic-Cream made their mark, even if some of us (including myself) have no great Love for them.

Really?

I thought I made it up. :bubble:

Cream were legendary and influenced a lot of bands that came along later.. including Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Van Halen.

...and Skynyrd. Their version of "Crossroads" from One More From the Road was definitely inspired by Cream. They also often cited British bands such as Cream, Free and Bad Company as influences in interviews back in the 70s. Several years back, during an interview on Rockline, Gary Rossington mentioned that one of the chief differences between Skynyrd and the Allmans was that the Allmans were directly influenced by American blues artists whereas Skynyrd's influence was filtered through many of the British blues rock bands. This is also why they often referred to themselves as the American version of the Rolling Stones.

As soon as KISS Alive! came out that was it they dominated till they released "I Was Made For Lovin' You"

Kiss were immensely popular in the 70s but I wouldn't say they "dominated".

There would be no 'Dazed & Confused' without Cream. They started that whole thing where every band had to do a 'whole side of an album' jam

The moment Eric Clapton first plugged a Les Paul into this new thing called a Marshall amp was a major turning point in rock & roll, IMO

Now jamming was all the rage. This hastened the Beatles demise, they just couldn't keep up with Eric and Jimi and Beck and Page and hard rock

Cream played a crucial role back then, musically speaking, and you have to give 'em that, despite their personal failings / attitudes

There would be no 'Dazed & Confused' without Cream. They started that whole thing where every band had to do a 'whole side of an album' jam

The moment Eric Clapton first plugged a Les Paul into this new thing called a Marshall amp was a major turning point in rock & roll, IMO

Now jamming was all the rage. This hastened the Beatles demise, they just couldn't keep up with Eric and Jimi and Beck and Page and hard rock

Cream played a crucial role back then, musically speaking, and you have to give 'em that, despite their personal failings / attitudes

:goodpost: This ^^^^^

When I say "legendary" I'm thinking about staying power to a certain extent. EVERYBODY knows Led Zeppelin. Everybody knows Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. And I'd say that Eric Clapton is a lot more legendary than Cream as a band and especially its other individual members. Not everybody knows Cream, and fewer know Jack Bruce or Ginger Baker. Everybody knows Clapton, though. But I realize this is highly subjective. And while Cream and all its members are legends in my mind, I was thinking more about the general public.

When I say "legendary" I'm thinking about staying power to a certain extent. EVERYBODY knows Led Zeppelin. Everybody knows Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. And I'd say that Eric Clapton is a lot more legendary than Cream as a band and especially its other individual members. Not everybody knows Cream, and fewer know Jack Bruce or Ginger Baker. Everybody knows Clapton, though. But I realize this is highly subjective. And while Cream and all its members are legends in my mind, I was thinking more about the general public.

You greatly underestimate the general public. Anyone that's ever listened to Classic Rock radio for any length of time has not only had the songs of Led Zeppelin pounded into their subconscious but those of Cream as well.

I'd say reforming 37 years after you first split up and selling out the Royal Albert Hall four times in one hour is a good example of staying power.

I'd say reforming 37 years after you first split up and selling out the Royal Albert Hall four times in one hour is a good example of staying power.

Selling out shows at Madison Square Garden during this reunion is a good example too.

I've said it before here and I'll keep saying it and agreeing with others who say similar, Cream created "rock music". Without their influence there wouldn't have been a Zeppelin.......or a ton of other '70's hard rock legends either. Of course other bands helped pave the way before Cream, but they were the ones who created the genre.

Ok, flame away.

Archived