Left of the Dial

Jahfin

Post stuff here like X, XTC, R.E.M., the Replacements, Guadalcanal Diary, the Cure, My Bloody Valentine and other bands that are considered underground yet may not fit in the Punk Rock thread. The thread title is inspired by the Replacements song which also inspired a box set by the same name that was released years later by Rhino Records.

51XRA94XXXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Funny thing, during the Q & A with filmmaker Gorman Berchard following the screening of Color Me Obsessed the other night he mentioned how no one brought up either Big Star or Alex Chilton during any of the interviews he conducted for the movie. He said the song may have only been recorded after Peter Jesperson suggested it to Westerberg. I have no idea what to think of that but I have a feeling that it may just be some myth making on Berchard's part. After all, the full name of the movie is Color Me Obsessed: The Potentially True Story of the Last Best Band, the Replacements.

I remember reading long ago that Westerberg claimed admiration for Chilton. I've forgotten where I read it but I know I did.

Anyway, before Robert Palmer made videos with anorexic models playing generic rock tunes, he was pretty interesting...............from 1980 here............

Two of my favorite concerts of 2010 were the Big Star Sister Lovers/Third shows that Chris Stamey helped to organize at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. There was one other one in the area after that featuring mainly the local artists from those shows and then there was one more big one held in NYC. This spring, Stamey and company (which includes Mitch Easter, Mike Mills, Ken Stringfellow, Jody Stephens and others) are bringing the show to London as well as some other locales in Europe. If any of you have a chance to see them, by all means don't pass it up. The clip below is from the NYC show.

Archived