Bonzo's Montreux and Moby Dick vs. Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux

gperkins151

I was compiling my Led Zeppelin stuff on my computer and was wondering if anyone has taken the time to analyze Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux vs the individual songs (Moby Dick and Bonzo's Montreaux) to see if any additional music is contained in Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux. I can't seem to find anything extra, in fact, both songs seem to be edited for Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux. Is this true? If so, has anyone read the reason for this track? I like the two originals much more than the medley. How about you?

On closer inspection, it looks like the opening from Moby Dick (1:28) is used for the medley, then the last 2:51 of Bonzo's Montreaux ends the medley.

When I compare this to the original, the last 2:51 are the same.

So with the medley, you lose the first section of Bonzo's Montreaux (1:28) and instead get the first 1:28 of Moby Dick.

Still the question remains: why? Was this a ploy to get people to buy the box set?

Still the question remains: why? Was this a ploy to get people to buy the box set?

Pretty much. Plus, Jimmy liked the idea of using advanced technology to synch the two songs (even though they only play simultaneously at the very end of the medley).

But these days, anyone with Audacity could concoct a much better remix.

I was compiling my Led Zeppelin stuff on my computer and was wondering if anyone has taken the time to analyze Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux vs the individual songs (Moby Dick and Bonzo's Montreaux) to see if any additional music is contained in Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux. I can't seem to find anything extra, in fact, both songs seem to be edited for Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux. Is this true? If so, has anyone read the reason for this track? I like the two originals much more than the medley. How about you?
No there's no additional music. Jimmy put that together during the first remasters (I think). I remember him saying that the two songs both had the same tempo and it was just a natural. If I remember correctly, he seemed to say that it was one of those things that 'just happened'. The idea of mixing the two came to him in the studio and he went with it.

I don't think it was a 'ploy'. I think Jimmy just found another opportunity to honor his dear friend.

No there's no additional music. Jimmy put that together during the first remasters (I think). I remember him saying that the two songs both had the same tempo and it was just a natural. If I remember correctly, he seemed to say that it was one of those things that 'just happened'. The idea of mixing the two came to him in the studio and he went with it.

I don't think it was a 'ploy'. I think Jimmy just found another opportunity to honor his dear friend.

Thanks.

Archived