Facebook's False Frame of Reference

Jahfin

I would say Facebook has done far more good than bad. It has brought people together. I found a childhood friend on there that is a Doctor and would never have found him otherwise. My wife is able to keep an eye on her niece using Facebook and what she is up to. I know you can link almost every site including this one to it now. I am not a Facebook junkie like many. But I visit it every other day or so. I have no problem with it. Its here to stay. And I guess Twitter is too. I do not use Twitter much. Not as familiear with it. Facebook was good for posting pics of my daughters wedding for an example. But it can be a bit overwhelming. And one thing I do not like is if yoiu get a friends request if you decline they are going to take it personal. If you accept you must have your screen littered with alot of garbage you do not want to see. I had to take offf some people. Even tellling one or two do not take it personally but I just cant deal with all the daily stuff you have all over it.

I would say Facebook has done far more good than bad. It has brought people together. I found a childhood friend on there that is a Doctor and would never have found him otherwise. My wife is able to keep an eye on her niece using Facebook and what she is up to. I know you can link almost every site including this one to it now. I am not a Facebook junkie like many. But I visit it every other day or so. I have no problem with it. Its here to stay. And I guess Twitter is too. I do not use Twitter much. Not as familiear with it. Facebook was good for posting pics of my daughters wedding for an example. But it can be a bit overwhelming. And one thing I do not like is if yoiu get a friends request if you decline they are going to take it personal. If you accept you must have your screen littered with alot of garbage you do not want to see. I had to take offf some people. Even tellling one or two do not take it personally but I just cant deal with all the daily stuff you have all over it.

I'm wondering if you actually read the article because nothing that you've said has anything to do with it.

IMO the writer of that article is the one with the problem. Narcissistic and feelings of envy and disappointment that her friends have a better life than her and general lack of self esteem?

All this from Facebook?

Give me a break.

309856_233613530020859_182177331831146_561577_2005556840_n.jpg

The photo above is the gist I got out of the article. I'm not sure where I read it now but there was an article I read not long ago that talked about how you don't see people posting photos of themselves crying, mad, losing their jobs, etc. on FB. Real emotions all of us experience that aren't "shared" on FB, nor should they be. What people post generally represents the best side of themselves. There's nothing at the matter with that but not only is it a commentary on FB but of society of large. Particularly one where everyone now gets their "15 minutes of fame" via social networking sites such as FB and Twitter.

The problem I have with Facebook is many are using it as a substitute for the real world. Also, it brings the past into the present. I have had many "ghosts from the past" resurrect on Facebook much to my chagrin. There is a reason you don't continue ties with your 3rd grade crush...It ain't 3rd grade anymore,that's why. The past should stay in the past as a memory and not cast it's dark shadow on the present. Just my opinion. Put me down for A: Don't like Facebook; and B: Don't like cell phones, but that's another conversation.

I was totally against Facebook for all the same reasons people still HATE it or don't join, for a long time. I still get that, but it's generally up to the user of the account (profile) to decide how most things play out. If you don't put up pics and say things that you don't want seen or broadcast, then don't post em'. It's a very simple process. The one good thing that I have gotten out of it was finding people that I really had a great time with in High School. I managed to get my old yearbook copies back that I lost in Katrina, just from contacting someone I knew from school. It's good to shoot the shit, talk about old times and stuff with people from that time period. After all thats all we have are memories...I also located some guys that I spent years playing music with, way back when-which has allowed me to gather some old music footage, that probably wouldn't have gotten a hold of any other way. So for me, there are benefits to it. I don't add 1,000 "friends" that I don't know , or don't care for -just to look popular or for attention. It's not a popularity contest for me, but another way to communicate with people-just like this site. I'm careful with how I use the tool and don't allow myself to get caught up in the "normal orbit" of the site. I don't use it as a measuring stick against other peoples lifestyles, etc. I know plenty people are addicted to this site and use it as their primary source of communication....I like to actually have verbal conversations with people if I have a number. Texting, blogging, (I don't get in to) - speaking of the new technical age we live in - and the social network as a whole is easy to get lost in, but it's up to the individual to seperate the internet world from reality. On Facebook, there are those who turn a conversation into gossip and if it gets to a point where I'm being "tagged" in all sorts of things, I either delete the tag or the person-it's that simple for me. I don't let the bullshit end of it get in the way...That's my choice.

i think facebook is great for connecting people that don't or can't otherwise.

i have chatted with some old friends from school that i would never have been able to without it, and it's lovely to see photos of their kids, grandkids etc, and i especially love seeing old pics from childhood.

if used in this way, i think it's great.

people who tend to post every little thing they do can be a bit tedious, but hey, just like on here, it can be ignored quite easily.

i think facebook is great for connecting people that don't or can't otherwise.

i have chatted with some old friends from school that i would never have been able to without it, and it's lovely to see photos of their kids, grandkids etc, and i especially love seeing old pics from childhood.

if used in this way, i think it's great.

people who tend to post every little thing they do can be a bit tedious, but hey, just like on here, it can be ignored quite easily.

I agree totally with all you said. My wife actually uses it sometimes to keep track of her niece who she worries about. She posts what coffee shop she is going to and things she should not post like, drunk, going to bed. Then we are wondering whether alone or not?

well ya just unsubscribe from people who post too much crap......simple

i'm not a big facebook fan but it has helped me keep in contact with my kids and relatives who i would have a hard time contacting otherwise........admittedly most of the people i have as "friends" are people i don't even know.........many fellow zepheads in fact.........all in all i would say facebook is more of a pain in the ass that has caused a lot of problems in relationships

well ya just unsubscribe from people who post too much crap......simple

i'm not a big facebook fan but it has helped me keep in contact with my kids and relatives who i would have a hard time contacting otherwise........admittedly most of the people i have as "friends" are people i don't even know.........many fellow zepheads in fact.........all in all i would say facebook is more of a pain in the ass that has caused a lot of problems in relationships

I got a friend request from some dude that is a friend of a friend of mine. I do not know the guy at all. I ignored it. Was going to ask him if he is gay. WTF are you friend requesting me for simply because we share the same last name that is common as Smith and Jones.

I know two people whose lives have been turned upside-down and nearly destroyed because an old boyfriend from high school found them through facebook.

I know a few people who have had similar problems but, I find it hard to blame Facebook for that. For my money, there had to be on going issues already there. Just the same, I also know a few guy's and gal's who have attempted to use Facebook friendships to interfere in a couples long term relationship. Can't say it's happened to me but then again, I make my relationship status clear as a bell to anyone who want's to friend me.

I have found people I have not seen in years. I found a guy who I used to play football and sports with in high school. I was quite shocked when I learned he is now gay. Nothing against gays, just shocked because I never would have suspected him in a million years. I think Facebook is here to stay and has done far more good than bad.

I find Facebook is a lot like a dating site. Throw up some well-cropped pics, tell everyone your body size is "average"...when you've been 40 lbs overweight for 15 years. Throw up some Jesus crap, a few pictures of pets, and that's your life....or it's supposed to be.

I find Facebook is a lot like a dating site. Throw up some well-cropped pics, tell everyone your body size is "average"...when you've been 40 lbs overweight for 15 years. Throw up some Jesus crap, a few pictures of pets, and that's your life....or it's supposed to be.

I cannot disagree more Bonger. Its NOT like a dating site. No way. Most people have their familly members on there. Are you kidding me? That is not an accurate statement my man.

I got a friend request from some dude that is a friend of a friend of mine. I do not know the guy at all. I ignored it.

I've gotten some requests like that too - maybe they are just trying to drive their "Friends" numbers up. Some people have like 500+ friends. How can you even keep in touch with that many people, or remember their names 'n details?

Jahfin, your post with the amusing cat photo made more sense than the article, IMO. She lost me when she was distressed that her friends had other life interests that had nothing to do with her. Say wha? That can't be normal for an adult. Methinks she was a narcissist long before Facebook came along.

FB has enabled me to re-connect with some people that I lost touch with long ago, one of whom I still thought of at times and had/have unfinished business with. It's pretty cool, and kind of a mixed blessing as well. C'est la vie.

I still hate cell phones though. :)

I think Bong-Man was trying to make the same point I was. I don't think he was saying FB is identical to a dating site, he was comparing it to a dating site in the sense that you can present whatever image of yourself that you like. At least that's what I got out of his post. For anyone that thinks that FB can't be misused or abused, I suggest watching the documentary Catfish.There's been some serious doubt as to whether that entire movie was staged or not. Even if it was, the point it's making is still true and very possible. Oh and by the way, the trailer makes it out to be some sort of horror movie (especially with the Alred Hitchcock mention) but it's not. That's a pretty inaccurate representation of the movie. It's definitely not a horror movie but I think it will surprise you.

well i've met some nice people online

not so much facebook but on the old message boards before there was a facebook........including one who led to a relationship.....and many others i hooked up with some live zep shows

which i enjoyed doing immensley

facebook can be a bit scary though.....but pics of me are just me....i'm noy all that shy

well i've met some nice people online

not so much facebook but on the old message boards before there was a facebook........including one who led to a relationship.....and many others i hooked up with some live zep shows

which i enjoyed doing immensley

facebook can be a bit scary though.....but pics of me are just me....i'm noy all that shy

Very good way to find people. Sometimes you are better off not finding some from the past. But its the best method I have seen. Its here to stay it would seem. The world is now connected in ways those that lived over a hundred years ago could only dream of. No more the days of the pony express and waiting a month for a letter to come. We now have the world at our fingertips. Literally.

My wife has an enormous sized family who are scattered all over the country. They started their own family Facebook page so all the cousins and offspring can stay in touch and update eachother about their lives. For something like that I think FB is terrific really. It makes it very easy for them to keep in touch.

As for myself personally speaking I have little use for Facebook and none at all for that friggin' Twitter. The comic and talk show host Bill Mahr said it best "every American wants to be on stage today but nobody wants to be in the audience anymore". To me that defines Twitter.

No thanks.

Facebook does make it easy to keep in touch with friends that live either in other cities, states or in other countries. I have reconnected with old friends and an ex-boyfriend. But what I hate about it are the people who use it like Twitter and post every minut detail of their daily lives. I don't care where you are every hour of the day?! Please stop checking in to every place you go.I don't care that you are at the post office or where you are having lunch!

Sorry, I just had the let that out.

^^^^^

Could not agree more...

I am a fb user mainly play games, and keep in touch with family...

It amazes me what some people post on their walls such as.. ' We are off on Holiday', is that an invite to get Burgled or what... :wacko:

A fb friend moved just before christmas and posted her new Address on her wall, then went on to say that she would be away all over the Holidays till the new year. When I suggested that she might like to remove her Address, her response was that she didn't have anything worth stealing...

Archived