Celebrity VIPs and empty seats outrage

1. Celebrity VIPs

Whilst I feel infinitely blessed and privileged to have attended the O2 show (in the standing section), I thought the number of celebrity VIPs attending, with what were presumably free tickets an utter disgrace.

I am all for these people being able to attend like everyone else, but if my presumption that none of them paid to go is correct, then whoever was in charge of such a decision needs to have his/her head examined.

As the event was a charity in aid of the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund (AEEF), celebrity VIPs, at the very least, should have been asked to pay £125 for their tickets too.

My view, however, is that if mere mortals like me in the rest of the crowd could afford £125 (or more), then these typically comfortably off (to dramatically understate the case) people, should have been asked to donate at least £500 (I think £1000 would not have been unreasonable), to the AEEF to vouchsafe their seats.

2. Empty Seats

The number of empty seats in the O2 Arena, was the second outrage of the event.

There was a whole section of empty seats on both sides of the lower tier, nearest to the stage. Okay, so there were what could be construed as "restricted view" locations, but given the choice between not going and having a "restricted view" seat, I am sure most ardent fans would have take those seats rather than not go.

Particularly at the central, back section of the lower tier, directly facing the stage, there were myriad empty seats all night. It is unbelievable that they were not offered to desperate fans outside for face value, or even to people stuck up on the level 4 upper tier. So, they may have belonged to people who had won the ballot and bought their tickets, who for whatever reason could not go, but like would it have been so difficult for them to phone the O2 customer services and relinquish their seats on the day?

Interesting that the level 4 upper tier was packed to the rafters, doesn't take a genius to work out the general public were all shoved up there first, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Indi.

1. Celebrity VIPs

Whilst I feel infinitely blessed and privileged to have attended the O2 show (in the standing section), I thought the number of celebrity VIPs attending, with what were presumably free tickets an utter disgrace.

I am all for these people being able to attend like everyone else, but if my presumption that none of them paid to go is correct, then whoever was in charge of such a decision needs to have his/her head examined.

As the event was a charity in aid of the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund (AEEF), celebrity VIPs, at the very least, should have been asked to pay £125 for their tickets too.

My view, however, is that if mere mortals like me in the rest of the crowd could afford £125 (or more), then these typically comfortably off (to dramatically understate the case) people, should have been asked to donate at least £500 (I think £1000 would not have been unreasonable), to the AEEF to vouchsafe their seats.

2. Empty Seats

There was a whole section of empty seats on both sides of the lower tier, nearest to the stage. Okay, so there were what could be construed as "restricted view" locations, but given the choice between not going and having a "restricted view" seat, I am sure most ardent fans would have take those seats rather than not go.

Particularly at the central, back section of the lower tier, directly facing the stage, there were myriad empty seats all night. It is unbelievable that they were not offered to desperate fans outside for face value, or even to people stuck up on the level 4 upper tier. So, they may have belonged to people who had won the ballot and bought their tickets, who for whatever reason could not go, but like would it have been so difficult for them to phone the O2 customer services and relinquish their seats on the day?

Interesting that the level 4 upper tier was packed to the rafters, doesn't take a genius to work out the general public were all shoved up there first, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Indi.

I've already voiced my opinions on the celeb thing.

so I won't say anymore about it except I do think (alot of them) do have to fork over a donation.

On the empty seats- thats the first I've heard- & Your breaking my heart!!! :boohoo:

I would have taken anytthing!!!!

1. Celebrity VIPs

2. Empty Seats

Point #1:

Capacity was roughly 20,000. As I understand it, each member of the band was allocated 100 tickets apiece=19,600. Roughly 100 may have gone to charities and

contests=19,500. Perhaps 1,500 to associates, celebrities and corporate executives.

That leaves 18,000 for the ballot/general public.

Face value of a ticket is face value, regardless of the purchaser. However, who's to

know if Sir Paul, for example, didn't make a private contribution to the AEEF. We can

debate all day if Paris Hilton, for example, "deserved" to be there. Fact is she was. It's

always been this way and it always will. The Roman Coliseum and Shakespeare's Globe

were no different in their day.

Point #2:

The band and/or organizers, working closely with venue managers, make the call on which seating areas will be vacant. Restricted view is taken into consideration, as is

the risk of injury from the stage construction and so forth. Perhaps they could have

filled every centimeter of the 02 with human flesh, however there is little point as it

results in a less than ideal experience for those who happen to be allocated such a

seat. Additionally, it raises security concerns -- potential breach of stage security

from all sides.

I think Jimmy did the best he could given the circumstances. Personally, I would have

much rather preferred the Royal Albert Hall but that would further reduce seating and

the stage production would have had to be scaled down for that venue.

Just my two points worth. Enjoyed your post.

paris hilton was there????!?!!!!?!?!?!

Ok, there are some very wrong things and that is one of them.

ph: "could they like, you know, play something new, like you know by pdiddy or somone good? I don't get all this instrument playing stuff, shouldn't that be pre-recorded so they can talk over it?"

OMFG, I can't believe she was there. A spice girl concert, skankiny spears, c aquafina, whatever. NOT ZEPPELIN. :rant:

paris hilton was there????!?!!!!?!?!?!

Ok, there are some very wrong things and that is one of them.

ph: "could they like, you know, play something new, like you know by pdiddy or somone good? I don't get all this instrument playing stuff, shouldn't that be pre-recorded so they can talk over it?"

OMFG, I can't believe she was there. A spice girl concert, skankiny spears, c aquafina, whatever. NOT ZEPPELIN. :rant:

That was very funny!! Agreed!

I am glad that Paris Hilton was there ! I have no problem with that at all.

Marilyn Manson was also in attendance. I have no problem with that either ! !

I'm glad that there were celebs that wanted to see and hear Led Zeppelin, whomever they are ! !

And, bty, PDiddy's version of "Kashmir" in the form of "Come With Me" ROCKS ! ! !

DEAL WITH IT ! ! ! ! :D

I'm glad that there were celebs that wanted to see and hear Led Zeppelin, whomever they are ! !

And, bty, PDiddy's version of "kashmair" in the form of "Come With Me" ROCKS ! ! !

Wow, you are glad, someone like Paris Hilton was able to attend the show. Do you think she gives a flying fuck about Led-Zeppelin, or even knows who they really are?

And "Come with me" was/is an atrocity. You obviously know dick about Led-Zeppelin.

1. Celebrity VIPs

2. Empty Seats

Indi.

I dont know why that would happen. people said the show sold out. secondly, why could this show not belike Knebworth where half a million people could go? it doesnt matter though because Led Zeppelin played great and the show was amazing.

And, bty, PDiddy's version of "kashmair" in the form of "Come With Me" ROCKS ! ! !

People like P Diddy shouldn't even be covering KASHMIR, damn man. He doesn't deserve to even lick the boots of Zeppelin, haha.

either she is a Led Zeppelin fan (doubt it) or she just went for publicity like all the others except for Dave Grohl and other musical artists.

Puff Crappy + Jimmy Page = fucking outrage. Deal with it.

I think that Paul McCartney should have been thrown out. He was caught smoking pot according to today's Daily Mirror but they let him away with it because it's the 30th anniversary of 'Mull of Kintyre' or something. Regulations are regulations. he should have been hauled out by his hairdye, sent down and given a grilling by representatives from Greenwich Borough Council and then asked to explain himself to The Old Bill. In the meantime, this would have left an additional seat for a Z-list celebrity to get a photo-op.

Actually there's even rumours that Macca didn't even HAVE a ticket. Unconfirmed reports that he and rock-chick Rosanna Arquette offered to carry Jimmy and John-Paul's guitars in to the rehearsal and then hid in the toilets until the main event.

Point #2:

Perhaps they could have

filled every centimeter of the 02 with human flesh, however there is little point as it

results in a less than ideal experience for those who happen to be allocated such a

seat. Additionally, it raises security concerns -- potential breach of stage security

from all sides.

God forbid crazy fans get excited at a rock concert...

i would have rather been pratically raped while standing at the show if i could even HEAR them...

"results in a less than ideal experience..." dude if u got to see zeppelin live i wouldnt complain about anything

open seats make me sick :'(

People like P Diddy shouldn't even be covering KASHMIR, damn man. He doesn't deserve to even lick the boots of Zeppelin, haha.

Just a note about the P Diddy thing.................. I didnt like the Cover he did either, For the Movie Godzilla .............. until my 7 year old son saw the movie ............... He of course loved it and at the end of the movie comes the great Riff/ Song during the credits..... hahaha before Diddy opens his mouth............. Well then my kid loves the song (not ever hearing the original yet) ............. He says to me DAD this song rocks! .............. I say to he him , "Its because he borrowed it from a much greater song and band! ............ My son looks at me and so I play him the original ..........He now is a Zeppelin fan at 10 ! SO MY POINT IS.......... P DIDDY helped in a small way to bridge the generation gap of new Zep fans with his weak cover. I'm sure my son was not the only young kid out there this happened to.

PEACE

Just a note about the P Diddy thing.................. I didnt like the Cover he did either, For the Movie Godzilla .............. until my 7 year old son saw the movie ............... He of course loved it and at the end of the movie comes the great Riff/ Song during the credits..... hahaha before Diddy opens his mouth............. Well then my kid loves the song (not ever hearing the original yet) ............. He says to me DAD this song rocks! .............. I say to he him , "Its because he borrowed it from a much greater song and band! ............ My son looks at me and so I play him the original ..........He now is a Zeppelin fan at 10 ! SO MY POINT IS.......... P DIDDY helped in a small way to bridge the generation gap of new Zep fans with his weak cover. I'm sure my son was not the only young kid out there this happened to.

PEACE

LedHead69 check this out: Do you want to know why Jimmy agreed to do this? So HIS

son, who was 10 at the time, could react the same way and tell all his school chums

"see, that's my Dad". Jimmy didn't have custody, they were an ocean apart, and it was a meaningful way to make a real connection. He also relished the challenge of recording the track at CTS Studios in Wembley via satellite link with Puffy in Los Angeles. Sure, it may have boosted sales a bit and introduced new fans to the music, but the primary

motivation was to do something for his son. Love this or loathe it, the intent behind it was very much honorable.

I think it was shameful that there were so many empty seats along the sides.

I went to see Squeeze (fairly well known English band) at Hammersmith a week earlier and the Circle was jammed - I only saw 2 empty seats for sure.

At O2 I counted 100 before I gave up.

I wrote, begged, phoned HG's corporation, telling them that ther would obviously be empty seats and asking them to let people who had entered the ballot have them at the last minute - at least give people the chance. I DID win a chance for a ticket but missed it as it went to my spam without me knowing.

I ended up buying one on ebay, something my conscience really pricked me with as I'd been against the idea from the start. I tried to get HG's company to at least give other people a chance by releasing last minute tickets but they weren't having any of it.

It is obviously too much trouble for them to bother with. If it had been me working at the company I would move heaven and Earth to get the last seat filled by a FAN - not some ligger.

I know that Chris Moyles (BBC Radio 1 DJ and complete tw*t ) whinging about how it was full of 'grey haired blokes with beards playing the air guitar'. Well I saw a lot of grey haired blokes (none with air guitars) but also LOADS of teenagers who were really rocking out and people in their 20's, 30's etc.

He obviously never left the bar and had decided how he would report the gig to his idiot listners the next day.

there was also Liam Gallagher who spent the whole night swearing at Zeppelin. Now I'm not sure how to take that, if he was having a go at them then he's also a tw*t. IF he was swearing out of sheer amazement then I'll forgive him.

The point is, yes there have always been hangers on and freeloaders BUT in this case with so many real fans missing out it is totally unjustifianle to give tickets away to gits who just want to seem cool by slagging Zeppelin off.

Archived