John Paul Jones Solo

DAS

It's probably come up before but give your opinion on his solo stuff. I bought two of his three solo albums (still looking for Scream For Help) just because he's JPJ and I want to complete my Led Zeppelin collection. I wasn't expecting too much. But after listening to Zooma I'm blown away. I take back all the jokes I've ever made about bass players. It's superb. I haven't got to The Thunderfthief yet (I'll probably post my opinion as a reply when I listen to it) but this album was enough to say listen to him if you haven't before. This album is one of the best non-Zeppelin albums by the 3 surviving members.

The Thunderthief is great!! I prefer Zooma because it's so unique and in your face...., But, The thundertheif has a little more variety..

Also, Check out THE SPORTING LIFE... it takes some getting used to but ... Diamanda Galas will make your hair stand on its end... This was the springboard for Zooma.. also same drummer as on Zooma, Pete Thomas.who is really good.

I take it you've heard Them Crooked Vultures..... if not, grab that as well...

I saw JPJ twice.... Zooma tour and Thundertheif tour w/ King Crimson...

As of now I have every Zeppelin member album from pre, during, and post Zeppelin except for Scream For Help and Sporting Life. I've tried listening to sporting life on youtube and really dug the music but that woman is nutty. I kinda want it to complete my collection but I'm not sure I could get used to her. :\ We'll see. I'll probably wind up getting it and trying.

I have Scream For Help on vinyl. It's good, but now sounds dated in spots. Unlike DW2, JPJ didn't include any of the incidental music from the film, (which he also composed and arranged). The album only has the source music, the songs ... radio on in the car etc...

The movie is terrible, but kind of entertaining. I taped it off of HBO years ago. l still have it.

I did just listen to Thunderthief and it was good except the singing was a little poor. I've never seen Scream for Help or any Death Wish movie. I kinda want to see the DW movies cause the soundtrack is awesome.

I'm not sure that I'd refer to the Scream For Help soundtrack as a John Paul Jones solo album. Yes, he's on it (as are Jon Anderson, Jimmy Page and others) but it's not a solo record in the same sense that Zooma and Thunderthief are as it's music created specifically for a film. It's been years since I last listened to it but if you're a completist I'd say it's definitely worth seeking out. I still need to score a copy of Thunderthief myself.

It's been a long time since I heard Jonesy's material from Scream For Help (I have an LP of it and haven't had a turntable for a long while - do the math, lol) - however I do remember it being good stuff. Zooma was good but I enjoyed The Thunderthief a little more. His live show was just a powerhouse! I saw him on the Zooma tour and was quite surprised at the force of the music hitting me. I could instantly get a sense of how heavy Led Zeppelin must have sounded in concert during their heyday from Jones' performance. And I'll never forget the very portly fellow directly in front of JPJ in the very front row playing air keyboards with a Page/Plant "No Quarter" t-shirt on. Ouch. Jones seemed annoyed at the guy's constant banter at him between songs. But I digress...JPJ's solo work is some nice, very complex material that gives the listener a unique glimpse into the power and sheer technical genius of all things Jones.

I really like Zooma, but Thunderthief is just great to me...and listen to JPJ singing. I ask you, what can this man not do? He is just brilliant IMHO!!!

Ice Fishing at Night - John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones - Down To The River To Pray- (beautiful!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the first side of Scream for Help is solid, but the second side is dated 80's pop ballads. Pretty much for completionists only. Zooma is fantastic all around, and Thunderthief is hit and miss, more hit than miss fortunately.

Aye, the general consensus seems to be that Zooma is Jonesy's best solo work. Scream For Help, though quite dated, has its moments. The Thunderthief is quite good. But Zooma really has a cohesion, urgency and balls to it that makes it stand out. When it was released, in the shadow of Page & Plant's works and the relative disappointment of Walking Into Clarksdale, Zooma really seemed like a huge "up yours" to his former bandmates. "You want riffs? I'll show you some riffs!"

This Sporting Life is worth it for

alone. Madam Galas is definitely not everyone's cup of tea but one cannot debate her talent and artistic integrity. Not to mention her devilish looks...

His live show was just a powerhouse! I saw him on the Zooma tour and was quite surprised at the force of the music hitting me.

Yes! Saw JPJ in 1999 during his Zooma warm-up dates in Ireland and he and his band really blew everyone away with the sheer heaviness of his playing. The bass slide was a lovely surprise. His depreciative humour was also lovely to witness, and how he politely declined all offers to sign any Zep memorabilia at the end of the show - I was glad I didn't bother to bring anything to get signed. Two of The Corrs were there - Jim and Andrea. I got their autographs but I'm sure I binned it soon afterwards. Andy Manson was there too and gave me an A4 flyer for his beautiful guitars. At the time I could probably only afford to buy one of his flyers. Actually, I still can. :drumz:

i think zooma is a great album and regretably overlooked even in zeppelin circles. i prefer it to P&P's clarksdale

the zooma tour was a powerhouse

i must admit i haven't played scream for help for a long time but as i now have a turntable set up again i'll dig it out and give it a spin

Archived