Father Shoots His Daughter’s Laptop For Posting a Mean Comment About Him on Facebook

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

A North Carolina man was none too pleased with one of his daughter Hannah's Facebook posts. So instead of just telling her, he decided to tell the world exactly how he felt in a YouTube video. (Warning: This video contains strong language and content.) After already grounding Hannah for three months for what he refers to as a similar incident in the past, Tommy Jordan decided to take his disciplinary action to a whole new, more public level. Jordan uploaded a video of himself sitting in a lawn chair reading aloud his 15-year-old daughter's post and then shooting nine hollow-point rounds into her computer with his .45-caliber gun. Jordan, who is an IT consultant, says he discovered his daughter's post as he was upgrading her laptop with new software. In what Hannah apparently thought was a private post titled, "To My Parents," using profanity-laced language, she complains of all of the chores she has to do and says she ought to get paid for it. She further complains about having to balance her school work and all her chores. In the eight-minute video titled "Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen," Jordan explains how hard his life was growing up, and he seems particularly frustrated by his daughter's disrespect and tells her that he is disappointed. At the end of the video, Jordan tells his daughter that she can have a new laptop when she buys a new laptop after she repays him for the new software he had just downloaded. He later posted the video to his own Facebook profile as well as his daughter's, and it is blowing up on the Internet. The video has received more than 650 comments, 1,300 "likes," and 800,000 views on YouTube. Most people are applauding Jordan's approach to extreme parenting. One person wrote, "Can I shake your hand and buy you a beer?" and another person on Facebook commented, "loved your parenting technique."

His daughter may be a spoiled brat, but posting something like this to a 15 year old girl's Facebook page? Just plain stupid. She obviously needs to be set straight and given an attitude adjustment, but that's not the way to do it...

This is a 15 year old girl we're talking about. Kids that age are often irrational brats who need to be disciplined, but I fail to see how this accomplishes anything whatsoever other than quenching this man's thirst for revenge. He's essentially stooping to her level when he should be the adult in this situation, and I'm sorry, but I see nothing admirable in his behavior.

My exact comment as posted on his video:

Well-played, sir.

Actions have consequences, end of story.

And those consequences don't necessarily follow natural law, i.e., equal and opposite reaction.

Sometimes those consequences ARE extreme and even unfair, and grossly outweigh the original action, hurtling back at us at light speed as we scramble to assess the damage we've done ourselves.

Such is life - unpredictable.

All the more reason to avoid actions that could precipitate negative consequences.

You've taught her an invaluable lesson.

And it was a little more to it than just "posting a mean comment about him on Facebook".

She was being disrespectful to her parents as well as the woman she referenced as the "cleaning lady", who was simply trading services.

I've had to discipline my kids for posting inappropriate comments on Facebook, as well.

If you read the follow-ups, you'll find the daughter isn't traumatized, and is doing fine.

The family is quite familiar with guns, as there are other videos of him letting his daughter shoot various weapons.

He's handled this pretty well, IMO.

He's refused interviews, monetized the video, and even redirected much of the attention to raise money for charity.

Nothing to see here.

For the geographically challenged, here's a map of the United States with North Carolina highlighted in red. It's located on the East Coast between Virginia and South Carolina. I have no idea what the "redneck belt" is but North Carolina is definitely located in the South. Unfortunately, rednecks and redneck behavior can be found everywhere, not just in the Southern U.S.

North_Carolina.png

After noticing how this particular YouTube clip had flooded the internet over the past several days I finally decided to watch it for myself last night. While shooting his daughter's laptop may seem more than a little extreme he actually carried out what he said he was going to do and if you read the follow-up discussion (posted below) as Type O suggests, it seems to have had a very positive effect on the man's daughter.

Follow-up From the Dad Who Shot His Daughter's Computer

Extreme measures often work. I'm not a gun guy and I don't live in the south but as a parent of two who had issues with both of mine as they grew up..............the father here made his point.

Ignore the fact that he used a firearm to make his point, would smashing the laptop against a brick wall not be the same thing? Either way, faced with that sort of teenage insolence the father did what he felt necessary.

Good for him, end the teenage fashion show angst before it turns into a life long hobby. I bet the daughter regrets what she posted. I have zero issue with this.

Unfortunately, rednecks and redneck behavior can be found everywhere, not just in the Southern U.S.

You sure got that right, Jahfin! I lived in Virginia -which I guess some would call redneck country - for a long time and the people down there are cooler than a lot of the folks up in the Northeast (where I was born and have returned to live). As far as this story goes, I laughed when I read it. A little extreme perhaps, but Facebook is a joke anyway and therefore I found it sort of amusing.

Last year it was the "Tiger Mom"...I guess this will be the year of "Facebook Father".

Nothing like airing your family's dirty laundry in public.

Look, I'm all for tough love and all that...and kids today do seem more entitled and spoiled by all their gadgets. But I can't imagine putting this up for the whole world to see. Two wrongs don't make a right. Imagine the ridicule this girl will now be subjected to at school. The teasing and taunting.

The father is supposed to be the rational adult, yet he comes off as childish and churlish.

According to the follow-up, everything seems hunky-dory, and if so, that's good. But I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some deep-seated resentment towards the dad, and daughter goes out and gets a tattoo and knocked up first chance she gets.

Somewhere, a tv executive is sitting there thinking how to turn this into a "reality-show".

Last year it was the "Tiger Mom"...I guess this will be the year of "Facebook Father".

Nothing like airing your family's dirty laundry in public.

Look, I'm all for tough love and all that...and kids today do seem more entitled and spoiled by all their gadgets. But I can't imagine putting this up for the whole world to see. Two wrongs don't make a right. Imagine the ridicule this girl will now be subjected to at school. The teasing and taunting.

The father is supposed to be the rational adult, yet he comes off as childish and churlish.

According to the follow-up, everything seems hunky-dory, and if so, that's good. But I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some deep-seated resentment towards the dad, and daughter goes out and gets a tattoo and knocked up first chance she gets.

Somewhere, a tv executive is sitting there thinking how to turn this into a "reality-show".

I agree with everything you say Strider. Look, I am not a parent and perhaps I don't have the right to judge, but back when I was a kid, my parents used to reason out with me and "discipline" me the old fashioned and civilised way. Maybe this kid has an attitude problem, but I'm sorry violence is not the answer. I know that the father shot her computer and did not use the gun on her, but that still does not make it ok in my book. Irrespective of the extent of the "attitude problem", this kind of "parenting" could scar that kid for life. Believe me, I know. I ain't talking through my hat. My mom was physically abused and threatened as a child. It started with my bitch of a grandmother first breaking my mom's toys and tearing up her comic books as a child if she dared do something like refuse to eat her food for instance, and then it gradually escalated to my mom receiving beatings almost every single day of her life! No kid deserves to go through all that. Maybe I am overreacting here, but honestly this man and his "extreme parenting techniques" reminds me of my grandmother and the kind of "techniques" she used to use to invoke terror into my mom and her sister and that my friend is scary!! This is just my two cents.

I can't believe how much traffic that video is getting. Every couple of seconds there are at least 10 new comments being posted. Could someone please explain to me why it's such a big deal?.

Probably because there's a whole lot of parents out there that have gone through the exact same thing with their children and they're not quite sure how to go about handling the situation. That, and the sensationalism of it. For those that have read the follow-up statements from the father, he now regrets leaving the clip up on YouTube for as long as he did. Whatever the case may be, if this helps open up a dialogue between parents and their children that didn't exist before then maybe it's worth all of the sensationalism and press that it's received.

Archived