Pink Floyd V's Led Zeppelin - Who should support who?

Perfectlywild

I saw Floyd in '94 here in Detroit, they sold out 2 shows at the Pontiac Silverdome, which is a HUGE venue. If they reunited with Roger Waters, I can't imagine the crowds they'd draw. If Zeppelin toured and came here, I'm sure they'd play at Ford Field (where the Lions now play), and they could probably schedule 20 shows and sell them all out.

Theres no question about that, Led Zeppelin would blow them rite off of the stage. Gilmore is a great guitar player, but Page would eat him alive with the speed of his playing and the feeling that he puts into his music. Gilmore just sorta stands around and plays, Page, well he's all over the stage! I would guess that Gilmore would be singing also, no comparison with Plants voice and Gilmores. It would be one hell of a show, but we all know who would top who in that stand off!

Theres no question about that, Led Zeppelin would blow them rite off of the stage. Gilmore is a great guitar player, but Page would eat him alive with the speed of his playing and the feeling that he puts into his music. Gilmore just sorta stands around and plays, Page, well he's all over the stage! I would guess that Gilmore would be singing also, no comparison with Plants voice and Gilmores. It would be one hell of a show, but we all know who would top who in that stand off!

Well, I can't agree there, because I'm a huge fan of both. I'll just say they're different, that's all. Gilmour is an amazing guitar player and has a great singing voice, it's just different than Robert's. A Floyd show and a Zep show are just 2 different entitites altogether, and you couldn't really mix them.

I note David Gilmour of Pink Floyd was at the O2 gig this week. As rumours and hopes abound about both these legendary bands, maybe they could go on tour together...but who would top the bill? Would it matter anyway, what a gig that would be? Haha!

BAD Idea ! ! !

I do not want to mix mt Floyd Funk with the Zeppelin Funk.

Thanks You ! !

The BEST GIG would be PF headlinging, and LZ headlining .... Separate GIGS!! And NO Openers Needed ! ! ! You want an all day drunk fest .... Look elsewhere ! ! ! This is about the MUSIC, and THAT alone ---- WHAT A CONCEPT!! :D

Well, I can't agree there, because I'm a huge fan of both. I'll just say they're different, that's all. Gilmour is an amazing guitar player and has a great singing voice, it's just different than Robert's. A Floyd show and a Zep show are just 2 different entitites altogether, and you couldn't really mix them.

Hear hear! I wouldn't mind, say, a guest appearance of one member in the other band, but as for their whole schtick, they really are completely different bands with completely different atmospheres during their shows (:snort:, not that I've been to one <_< ).

I absolutely love David Gilmour's playing (I'd actually rate Comfortably Numb's guitar solo over STH's), but he and Jimmy have such different styles that it's really difficult to compare them. They're both absolutely great in their own way. I don't see why it has to be a showdown between them at all. It's apples and oranges, if you ask me. Both taste great but are completely different.

Agreed. I appreciate Gilmour and Page for what they each do on the guitar, and the differences they bring to the table. I couldn't ever fathom saying one is better then another- I dont relate to music in that way. Music is an artform, and I dont put labels on it as such.

I guess I need to explain my comment a little better :D I have never seen either of the bands live. I have seen Live at Pompeii and The Song Remains The Same quit a few times. I have seen videos on YouTube of both bands and videos that some of my friends have. Jimmy Page just has a magic that he brings out in music that just makes the hair on my arms stand up, the way he plays, the way that he expresses himself while playing, and the kind of music he plays. Gilmore is a great guitar player, don't get me wrong, but he just don't make me feel the same way as Jimmy Page does when he plays. I guess it is because I like Zeppelin more than Pink Floyd.

I think Zep would work as the opener band. There's no real 'competition' possible here. They're not in each other's bag, maan. But Zep would work better first. Difficult to imagine all the pomp of Floyd being followed by anything but then again it seemed like that at Live 8..

I was thinking 'They've killed off McCartney. He can't follow them.' But liveliness after melancholia works.

So I guess I have't made up my mind ;-)

But book me a front row seat anyway!!

Led Zeppelin would have to close the show.

The reason?

Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand and the other epics.

do you think Pink Floyd wants to wait around with Led Zeppelin's songs going on and on?

they would be dazed and confused for so long it's not true.

(2 hours into the show, if Led Zeppelin opened)

Pink Floyd: are you guys done yet

Led Zeppelin: yeah almost halfway

Pink Floyd: WTF, not even half!

Zeppelin would have to play after Floyd....Zeppelin would wear out the audience and then Floyd would put them to sleep afterwards

If you like theatre and stage:Pink Floyd and all those supporting musicians

If you like rock and roll:Led Zeppelin as 4 man unit

So i would say Pink Floyd can open up to provide the theatre and drama necessary to set the stage for Zeppelin

Imagine seeing a floating pig riding on a Zeppelin!

Led Zeppelin would have to close the show.

The reason?

Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand and the other epics.

do you think Pink Floyd wants to wait around with Led Zeppelin's songs going on and on?

they would be dazed and confused for so long it's not true.

(2 hours into the show, if Led Zeppelin opened)

Pink Floyd: are you guys done yet

Led Zeppelin: yeah almost halfway

Pink Floyd: WTF, not even half!

I'm sure you could say exactly the same with the band names switched.

Echoes is just as long as anything Zeppelin usually played (I know they took the mick at times, but there wasn't many 25 min+ songs), and then there's Shine On etc...

I don't think the anticipation of a Pink Floyd show would be anywhere near as high as for Led Zeppelin. Putting Zeppelin on first would mean Floyd plays to alot of exiting bodies.

I personally wouldn't want to see that bill, I have to be in a certain mindset for the genius of Pink Floyd, and I can guarantee I would not be in that frame on the night of my first LZ show.

Archived