Forgotten Classics

Jahfin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKtfP3ubaM

This song has amazed me since this album came out. After "Cook of the House", "Let em In", and other such lame crap, this awesome rocker gets hidden at the end. There's actually guitars with effects, and Paul beating on the piano and screaming in anger like it's a real rock song. I've often wondered if he and Linda had a fight that day. By far my favorite Wings tune, because it's never heard.

I'm sure I won't have to look far for a 'Starship' hater. Can't say I blame you.....they certainly didn't do their legacy many favors in the 80's. Always liked this tune though, and didn't mind the Papa John Creach era (as some refer to it) at all. Things changed quickly for me after "Spitfire" though.

• 3 weeks later...

From the second of two records Leon Russell did with Marc Benno. Heard this on XM's Deep Tracks channel last night which reminded me of just how long it's been since I last gave Asylum Choir II a spin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure how much, if any, airplay this band got back in the late 70's and early 80's but they came onto my radar thanks to some friends that used to cover this song in their band.

http://youtu.be/8jr12C0cPuw

What a suprise, back in the mid to late 70s My friends and I must have seen Marseille (Marseilles in the early days) 15 maybe 20 times or more in and around the Clubs and pubs of the Liverpool, Birkenhead and surrounding areas. They were always an entertaining act to see and hear. In their very early days they had "French" stage cotumes, Hoopped sweaters and Berets, they had bicycle handlebars on the mikestands with bunches of (plastic) onions hanging from them. Lady of the Night came from their second album which imo is not quite as good as the first album. Then again both albums could have been better as they suffer from poor production. They did get to play support on tours of a few semi/major bands ( I can't remember who).

Lead Guitar player Neil Buchanan became better known as the presenter of a kids TV programme called Art Attack (try youtube).

Marseille themselves did reform a couple of years or so ago, with a different Lead Singer and Drummer. I saw one of their gigs but the old magic was'nt there. They have recorded another album, which I've not heard. Not sure whether or not they have split again. Anyway thanks for the post..They deserve some sort of recognition. Thanks again.

They did get to play support on tours of a few semi/major bands (I can't remember who).

According to Wiki they toured with the likes of Judas Priest, Whitesnake, UFO, Nazareth and Blackfoot. Sounds like their were poised for success but due to circumstances beyond their control they were sidelined by legal battles with their label for a couple of years after the label collapsed. Reminds me a bit of the story of Anvil.

• 1 month later...

The album this comes from never reached "classic" status but it's definitely fallen between the cracks over the years. Will and the Kill was fronted by Will Sexton (brother of Charlie Sexton) and also included David Grissom (Storyville) on guitar. Charlie guested on it as did Jimmy Vaughan of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. This is high powered Texas twang at it's very finest.

I haven't been real fond of Jim Ladd's show on Deep Tracks as a lot of the cuts he plays aren't "deep" at all and often veer into Poison and Cinderella territory but last night he got a couple good ones in including this tune from Procol Harum.

I used to listen to Jim Ladd once in awhile when he was on KLOS. Now he might be considered a last DJ. (I just read your post in the Music Recomendations thread about corporate stations and the lack of DJs) He call his show Free Form Rock and Roll and most of what he plays you will never hear on main stream stations. I just figured out that he had gone to Deep Tracks after KLOS canned him and have taken to listening to the show on my way home from work. He is all over the place in his play but I enjoy it. Gets me out of my listening rut. Usually picks a theme and plays a whole set based on that.

I used to listen to Jim Ladd once in awhile when he was on KLOS. Now he might be considered a last DJ. (I just read your post in the Music Recomendations thread about corporate stations and the lack of DJs) He call his show Free Form Rock and Roll and most of what he plays you will never hear on main stream stations. I just figured out that he had gone to Deep Tracks after KLOS canned him and have taken to listening to the show on my way home from work. He is all over the place in his play but I enjoy it. Gets me out of my listening rut. Usually picks a theme and plays a whole set based on that.

Yeah, there's been a bit of controversy about just how good of a fit he is for Deep Tracks but the reasoning seems to be that being a "freeform" DJ works both ways, which explains his forays into more familiar turf. On the upside I've enjoyed some of his interviews with the likes of Neil Peart, Roger Waters and David Crosby.

"Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group is a staple of Classic Rock Radio but for whatever reason, Johnny Winter seems to have been left behind. For shame.

Frackenstein and Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo are two of my favorite songs! I play them all of the time and so does the radio station I listen to.

Frackenstein and Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo are two of my favorite songs! I play them all of the time and so does the radio station I listen to.

It would be cool to see Johnny get the airplay he deserves on that format but thankfully he's not forgotten by channels such as Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM.

It would be cool to see Johnny get the airplay he deserves on that format but thankfully he's not forgotten by channels such as Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM.

I wish I could listen to deep Tracks all the time but my dad would rather listen to Watercolors or Fox News :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, Ace; I recognize that as a tune the Ventures did...only without the sax...who did the original?

Yes Scarlet, the original was written by Nokie Edwards of the Ventures and performed by the Ventures. I've been into intstrumental and surf music for awhile. This version of "Surf Rider" by the Lively Ones is the version that Tarantino included at the end of Pulp Fiction.

The Lively Ones mostly covered other bands like Dick Dale and the Chantays. Many surf bands covered each other's songs including the Ventures.

Here is the Ventures' version of "Surf Rider". I personally think the Lively Ones' version is more "lively" and I can see why Tarantino picked it for his film.

Which one do you like better?

Yes Scarlet, the original was written by Nokie Edwards of the Ventures and performed by the Ventures. I've been into intstrumental and surf music for awhile. This version of "Surf Rider" by the Lively Ones is the version that Tarantino included at the end of Pulp Fiction.

The Lively Ones mostly covered other bands like Dick Dale and the Chantays. Many surf bands covered each other's songs including the Ventures.

Here is the Ventures' version of "Surf Rider". I personally think the Lively Ones' version is more "lively" and I can see why Tarantino picked it for his film.

Which one do you like better?

It's a tough call...the Lively Ones' version is definitely more lively and I like the sax...the Ventures sound more polished...guess it would depend on my mood :)

Archived