Led Zeppelin Official Bootlegs - could this work

If the quality of the recording is there I'm definitely on board. Whether it be professionally or soundboard recording. I would trust Page to only release quality.

I'm actually coming to the conclusion that I would rather see zeppelin release a career spanding select number of high sound quality concerts rather than saturate us and their legacy with many, many releases.

One comment I would like to repeat is I would hope they include the entire concert warts and all, between song banter and all, I think that's what makes it unique. It seems the Stones are doing this but I'm not sure.

Also, Although they're calling it Bootlegs , from what I can tell both of the two releases so far from the Stones were professionally recorded.

Check out what the Rolling Stones have started doing. Releasing official bootlegs of old shows for $7. Only two available so far, but both brilliant!

www.stonesarchive.com

I think this would be a great idea for Zeppelin. Remaster them and sell them as a download only album.

What do you think? I know we have a buncha bootlegs already, but it would be great to own these shows in album format and offical so we have some new Zep releases (as oppose to a EP package)

Hey i love the idea.

Bunch of negative nellies here...I think it's all but certain we will see something along the lines of what other artists are doing/have been doing for years - the question is, will it be too late to the game? The core Zeppelin audience isn't getting any younger.

Bunch of negative nellies here...I think it's all but certain we will see something along the lines of what other artists are doing/have been doing for years - the question is, will it be too late to the game? The core Zeppelin audience isn't getting any younger.

True. Jimmy can't just be waiting for the right time. The right time has already passed and interest is probably at a low, and bound to go lower. If any of these concerts are in good quality like those samples from Physical Grafitti...good god...but if they were, why wouldn't they have been released by now?

We may hear some of these, but it might take another 20-30 years...

True. Jimmy can't just be waiting for the right time. The right time has already passed and interest is probably at a low, and bound to go lower. If any of these concerts are in good quality like those samples from Physical Grafitti...good god...but if they were, why wouldn't they have been released by now?

We may hear some of these, but it might take another 20-30 years...

I'm not sure how much they have in the bank at this point - they didn't multitrack too many shows, and we have to remember that a whackload of live soundboards, as well as demo and studio tapes, were stolen from Jimmy in the late-1980's.

Then there's also the fact that they don't seem to think very highly of whatever it is they do have - they consistently refer to having "nothing left" to release...meanwhile, Jimmy pulls out those awesome Physical Graffiti demos...

Regarding interest in Zeppelin: I fluctuate on that. On the one hand, the amount of people who actually lived through the Zeppelin-era is starting to thin out...but that being taken into account, the way in which we all seem to get so excited over even the prospect of some new Zeppelin - or simply better sounding Zeppelin - whether it be a new boot release or a new recording surfacing, and how fast such things are either bought or disseminated on the internet...I'd say there's a hell of a lot of interest in Zep still. They should act soon, though, before the cynicism I see takes complete control...

Then there's also the fact that they don't seem to think very highly of whatever it is they do have - they consistently refer to having "nothing left" to release...meanwhile, Jimmy pulls out those awesome Physical Graffiti demos...

Have I missed something?

And there's the problem. There is a vast disparity between what he/they think is release-worthy, and what the hardcore fans would be ecstatic to hear.

The PG snippets exemplify this; if he put out all the demos/work in progress/outtakes etc from just that album, in whatever form or state they're in, I suspect this would be of infinitely more interest to most of the hardcore than any new, bastardised & emasculated live album or dvd, which he'd probably agonise over & edit/overdub to the point of 'perfection' for months on end...whereas the stuff we really want to hear is stuff that could be released as is, tomorrow.

IMO, JP needs to get his head around the fact that LZ's fanbase is not confined to the mass-market punters who want something nice & glossy & sanitised that they can pick up from Walmart or Tesco on their weekly shop.

Agreed. I would much rather have something "real" than some spliced, overdubed, poorly mastered, 3/4 of a concert in the wrong order. Jimmy thinks that he needs to put out perfection. He also probalby wont put out any studio demos or multitracks because he thinks that they sound "too simple." These PG samples go against both of my points but still, most people don't completely change their feelings on something like this all of a sudden.

He is supposed to have personal recordings of quite a bit of the Zeppelin shows. What was stolen wasn't his entire collection. If/once they do release official bootlegs all they need to do is give them a quick listen to, some balancing or specific eq and out to the public they go.

I dont think Page needs to worry about the legacy of zeppelin, that should be set in stone. The fact that a band from the 70's that disbanded 30 years ago is still relevant in popular culture is quite remarkable. Even with realistically zero chance of a reunion and little releases since. He should take initivate and release some of this stuff on his own terms.

Agreed. I would much rather have something "real" than some spliced, overdubed, poorly mastered, 3/4 of a concert in the wrong order. Jimmy thinks that he needs to put out perfection. He also probalby wont put out any studio demos or multitracks because he thinks that they sound "too simple." These PG samples go against both of my points but still, most people don't completely change their feelings on something like this all of a sudden.

He is supposed to have personal recordings of quite a bit of the Zeppelin shows. What was stolen wasn't his entire collection. If/once they do release official bootlegs all they need to do is give them a quick listen to, some balancing or specific eq and out to the public they go.

I dont think Page needs to worry about the legacy of zeppelin, that should be set in stone. The fact that a band from the 70's that disbanded 30 years ago is still relevant in popular culture is quite remarkable. Even with realistically zero chance of a reunion and little releases since. He should take initivate and release some of this stuff on his own terms.

I wouldn't make too many assumptions about what he has - look what we have access to. The sort of stuff that other bands are making a living on now, we have had in our possession for years, at least to a much greater extent than any of the other fan communities I've seen.

Legally, it's probably tricky for him to simply "take [the] initiative" - that's the whole problem with The Song Remains the Same, right, that the legal issues were too much of a bother to do a proper overhaul?

We do have quite a bit of soundboard tapes and studio outtakes and such. But I still think what we have is only a small percentage of what there might be. And anything we do have, he probably has origional masters still so it'll be an upgrade. If he has the tapes in his posession, as creator/recorder/owner or what have you, then what are the legal issues? The other members saying ok? Problems with Atlantic or Waner Bros? I wont know what he has untill I ether get invited to his house, or he starts releasing stuff. :D

There was some type of legal issues reguarding whomever owned the copywright to the footage or something like that. He couldn't touch the footage but he completely changed the audio. Also there was some specualtion that some encors were left off of HTWWW becasue of rights issues, if I remeber correctly.

+ 1 to the fan edition of TSRTS, I think pretty much the best thing we will ever have.

That's what we've been led to believe. But there's no contract on this earth that can't be re-negotiated, albeit at price.

I found it astonishing that he was prepared to spend a considerable amount of time remastering & re-editing the video & audio, but not prepared to spend a similar amount of money & effort sorting out the legals, to enable him to present the movie in a more complete & sequential format. What price artistic integrity?

Thank goodness someone else has done it for us.

I've been led to believe it was quite substantial - probably to the point where it wouldn't have happened at all if that process had been undertaken.

We do have quite a bit of soundboard tapes and studio outtakes and such. But I still think what we have is only a small percentage of what there might be. And anything we do have, he probably has origional masters still so it'll be an upgrade. If he has the tapes in his posession, as creator/recorder/owner or what have you, then what are the legal issues? The other members saying ok? Problems with Atlantic or Waner Bros? I wont know what he has untill I ether get invited to his house, or he starts releasing stuff. :D

There was some type of legal issues reguarding whomever owned the copywright to the footage or something like that. He couldn't touch the footage but he completely changed the audio. Also there was some specualtion that some encors were left off of HTWWW becasue of rights issues, if I remeber correctly.

+ 1 to the fan edition of TSRTS, I think pretty much the best thing we will ever have.

But that's the thing: What do they have in their possession? I think they have relatively few soundboards left - some don't seem to have even been given to them (or were left behind) when they were recorded, (e.g., 10/10/1969, 21/03/1970). Some of the original copies, (e.g., 24/04/1969), are said to have been destroyed. Hell, how many soundboards claim (legitimately, it seems) to be low gen? How could they be, in most cases, unless they had been part of the original theft?

The majority of the legal problems do lie with the other members, or so I've been led to believe (again). With HTWWW, people have also speculated that the encores may have been left off due to quality...but who knows. Thankfully, that audience tape exists!

It's all speculation, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as negative...I certainly hope I'm wrong, and that they have a veritable wealth of stuff to release. I'm thinking we'd be better off hoping for studio outtakes, though.

When it comes to TSRTS: I've never actually minded the re-release...the quality sounds amazing in comparison to the '76 version, and I find the edits - for the most part - to be much better.

Only a few of us (probalby) have any idea of what is realisticly out there. You aren't coming off as negative, just a perspective different than mine. I doubt the release of studio anything because of Jimmy's past stance on it. Only time will tell...

TSRTS: the blu ray is absolutely mind blowing. My only complaint is the syncing (since I've been loving you). I can get past the "costume" changes and "fake" live video.

Only a few of us (probalby) have any idea of what is realisticly out there. You aren't coming off as negative, just a perspective different than mine. I doubt the release of studio anything because of Jimmy's past stance on it. Only time will tell...

TSRTS: the blu ray is absolutely mind blowing. My only complaint is the syncing (since I've been loving you). I can get past the "costume" changes and "fake" live video.

We'll see.

Haven't seen the Blu, but I have the DVD, and I loved it. The syncs never bugged me too much, but I know what you mean - I bet a more complete release would still have both, though. :P

Archived