Robert Plant reveals new band Sensational Space Shifters at Womad festival

reswati

Robert Plant and his new band the Sensational Space Shifters will make their live debut as headliners of this year’s Womad, as the festival celebrates its 30th anniversary. The group comprising the former Led Zeppelin frontman, members of his former backing band Strange Sensation and regular collaborator Justin Adams say they draw inspiration “from the roots music of Mississippi, Appalachia, Gambia, Bristol and the foothills of Wolverhampton”.

The first Womad – an acronymn for World of Music, Arts and Dance – was conceived by Genesis singer Peter Gabriel, and took place at the Royal Bath & West showground in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, in 1982. The first bill featured Echo & the Bunnymen, the Drummers of Burundi, Don Cherry, Simple Minds, Suns of Arqa and the Chieftans.

Over the intervening 30 years, the organisation has hosted festivals across the globe, from Sicily to Seattle, Adelaide to Abu Dhabi. For the sixth time, its flagship UK festival will be at Charlton Park, near Malmesbury in Wiltshire.

The 2012 lineup will also include Indian breakthrough star Raghu Dixit, the Buena Vista Social Club, French collective Lo’Jo, “funk orchestra” Grupo Fantasma and the Alaev Family from Tajikistan, with many more acts to be announced. Last year’s event saw performances from Baaba Maal, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Fatoumata Diawara and more.

Womad takes place at Charlton Park, Malmesbury, Wiltshire, 27–29 July.

http://womad.co.uk/

I'm not a religious man, but GOD BLESS ROBERT PLANT!!!

How I love this man! "Mighty Rearranger" just might be my favourite Robert Plant album...it's definitely in the Top 2...and the Strange Sensation was my favourite band of his solo years.

So to see Mr. Plant back with Justin Adams and these cats is delightful news of the highest order! I truly have something to look forward to in 2012-2013 NOW!!! Cannot wait to hear what he and the band have cooked up...and hope he tours America!

Thank you Robert, thank you, for staying true to yourself and your passions.

And to all the nattering nabobs of negativity: a big FU!

I must admit, the band name sounds like something from a cheap scifi b-movie.

Somehow I hope this band will be like the Strange Sensation combined with world music flair (And less country, too much hee-haw can get on my nerves after a while).

Seems that Adams and Camara will be playing in the Netherlands twice this April, so I might as well check them out (And have a nice excuse to go to Amsterdam as well)

Here's some more info from the Realworld site about Juldeh Camara:

Born in 1966 in Basse, West Africa, Juldeh Camara is a Gambian griot and master musician.

His blind father received the gift of music from forest spirits who took the use of his eyes in return. Playing the Ritti, a one- stringed fiddle, he participated as a griot in traditional Fula society. Camara has been recognised as the leading ritti player in the world. Camara has played with Ifang Bondi, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Batanai Marimba, Knut Reiersrud, kora player Seckou Keita and Tunde Jegede's African Classical Ensemble, where in 2009 he performed at St. Denis Cathedral in Paris which included Oumou Sangare, Toumani Diabate, Kasse Mady Diabate, Sambou Susso and the Brodsky Quartet. More recently he has establised a successful partnership with Justin Adams, releasing their collaborative albums "Soul Science", "Tell No Lies" in May 2009 and "The Trance Sessions" EP in February 2010.

I'm not a religious man, but GOD BLESS ROBERT PLANT!!!

How I love this man! "Mighty Rearranger" just might be my favourite Robert Plant album...it's definitely in the Top 2...and the Strange Sensation was my favourite band of his solo years.

So to see Mr. Plant back with Justin Adams and these cats is delightful news of the highest order! I truly have something to look forward to in 2012-2013 NOW!!! Cannot wait to hear what he and the band have cooked up...and hope he tours America!

Thank you Robert, thank you, for staying true to yourself and your passions.

And to all the nattering nabobs of negativity: a big FU!

Mighty Rearranger IS one of the best, if not THE best Robert Plant album...that's not an opinion...it's a FACT!!!! ;)

Seems that the Gambian member of the band is one Juldeh Camara, he played with Robert and Justin before, and the results sounded quite interesting.

What an awesome tune and such a powerful delivery (as usual).....You know, this should be a big slap in the face to anyone who denounces his solo material as "boring", "dull" or otherwise...

Once again, everytime a song/video emerges such as this- those naysayers must eat their hearts out. Go get em' Rob!

Didn't Plant debut a new band last year called "Crown Vic"? Makes me wonder if this new band is just a one-off for Womad. I also remember him saying in an interview that he had been writing some new material with Buddy Miller. So, I'm curious to see if the Sensational Space Shifters are something he's going to stick with or if he'll go back to working with the folks from the Band of Joy.

This is seriously the best piece of news I've had in quite a few weeks..My heart skipped a few beats there..Hopefully he puts put a great new album and will start a new successful tour (In my country as well please!)..You go for it Robert, you bloody ROCK!!

This is seriously the best piece of news I've had in quite a few weeks..My heart skipped a few beats there..Hopefully he puts put a great new album and will start a new successful tour (In my country as well please!)..You go for it Robert, you bloody ROCK!!

Where can I find that piece of footage in your signature??

Back to the business at hand, yayayayayayayaya!

Well, this is GREAT news! One thing about Robert is you never know, and as expressed earlier by Strider, glad he does what he wants and stays true to himself. I would love to see this.

Jahfin, good point,Crown Vic.....you just never know ;)

I must admit, the band name sounds like something from a cheap scifi b-movie.

Somehow I hope this band will be like the Strange Sensation combined with world music flair (And less country, too much hee-haw can get on my nerves after a while).

Seems that Adams and Camara will be playing in the Netherlands twice this April, so I might as well check them out (And have a nice excuse to go to Amsterdam as well

Here's some more info from the Realworld site about Juldeh Camara:

Born in 1966 in Basse, West Africa, Juldeh Camara is a Gambian griot and master musician.

His blind father received the gift of music from forest spirits who took the use of his eyes in return. Playing the Ritti, a one- stringed fiddle, he participated as a griot in traditional Fula society. Camara has been recognised as the leading ritti player in the world. Camara has played with Ifang Bondi, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Batanai Marimba, Knut Reiersrud, kora player Seckou Keita and Tunde Jegede's African Classical Ensemble, where in 2009 he performed at St. Denis Cathedral in Paris which included Oumou Sangare, Toumani Diabate, Kasse Mady Diabate, Sambou Susso and the Brodsky Quartet. More recently he has establised a successful partnership with Justin Adams, releasing their collaborative albums "Soul Science", "Tell No Lies" in May 2009 and "The Trance Sessions" EP in February 2010.

Thank you for this great news, I have gone immediately on the womad site, I would like so much to go there..I agree with you, strange Sensation style combined with african music, and less country, would be a very good recipe! Also if I have loved so much BOJ because they are great artists and it has been such an emotion to see them live, and also if I have enjoyed that kind of psychedelic country rock, I think that, except for the nameLOL, this new group could be even better than BOJ, or nearer to my personal taste....Anyway it is always wonderful to see how Robert, despite his age, embraces new projects, new groups, tries to mix always different musical influences with the enthusiasm of a boy!!!!

This is the group performing with him in Clarksdale so it might give some light on the Strange Sensation members going to WOMAD...

Performing on stage with Plant will be Grammy winning vocalist Patty Griffin; globally renowned guitarist/composer Justin Adams and West African virtuoso musician Juldeh Camara, who have collaborated with Plant on special projects/tour; John Baggott, keyboard artist, Billy Fuller, guitarist and Dave Smith, drummer.

Archived