40 Years Ago Today Led zeppelin Graced The Stage At The Sydney Showgroundl

Reggie29

I'm sure someone will have said this before, but The Rovers Return is almost certainly a reference to the pub in Coronation Street...hence Strider's smiley...?

That may be but it is the name of the recording I have of the Sydney show where they first played The Rover as part of the WLL jam.

Quite possibly a double reference.

As for it being a show in Manchester, I don't think so.

Sorry my answer may have been a bit vague. I do understand that Genuine Masters released a DVD disc of the Sydney gig called "The Rovers Return" in 2004 but Empress Valley also released a recording of the Manchester Hard Rock show in 2001 with the same title and as Coronation Street is set in Manchester - well Salford actually, then one can assume EV were being geographically correct in naming the CD after a pub in a well know TV soap.

I'm sure someone will have said this before, but The Rovers Return is almost certainly a reference to the pub in Coronation Street...hence Strider's smiley...?

Very perceptive of you Major Major...I figured it would be an English(wo)man that would catch the double-reference. Yes, along with Genuine Masters "The Rovers Return", I was giving a nod to the Coronation Street pub.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I feel old, 40 years and luckily still here to remember that day well ... ummm ... sorta well ... anyway I clearly remember the first few that jumped the fence being vigorously pursued and one being actually grabbed but quickly let go as the mass stormed over. Another thing that stuck was it being overcast and drizzling rain and I'm not sure if it was just the ACID and the chillums in the back of the Kombi driving in but magically as the sun came out it shone on the stage area first before clearing further? A few snippets like the Cop that actually smiled when Robert Plant said that "even the Police" bit but enough of that ... what a concert it was! :yesnod:

Archived