How is/was your relationship with your parents?

TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

I've always been and always will be grateful for what my parents have done and continue to do for me, my brother and sister. I can't really complain about my dad giving us everything he had economically, there was always food, clothes, etc. Thanks to him being a hard work man. I love my dad. I really do, but as I got older I've come to realize that we're not compatible. There's barely any communication, I do talk to him and everything but I never saw him as somebody I could go and talk to if I was in need of advice or anything because when I did when I was younger he seemed to not know how to talk to his sons. I know that parents arent teach how to be a parent and they do mess up but his pride is harder than a rock and that has always been one of the biggest issues with him.

My mom has always been very sweet with us, she's always been there for us when we need her, always helping or assisting on anything we need. I can't really say anything bad about my relationship with my mother.

I love all my family, my brother my sister and my parents and the only person I sometimes bumped heads with is my dad (please note that we don't hate each other), like I said, it's just that I've come to believe that our personalities are not compatible.

Anyone care to share how is or was your relationship with your parents and family members?

My dad passed away in 2004.

What I can tell to people whose parents are still alive is: spend more time with them, do things that are memorable. Forget about the minor differences separating you from them.

My father always praised my work, boosted my self esteem, told other people I was a great human being. He was sort of my own personal ambassador, he believed in me more than I believe in myself.

If he lived today, however, I just don't know what would he think of me today, 8 years after his death.

Sometimes I truly wish he came from the afterlife and gave me some much needed guidance.

My father always praised my work, boosted my self esteem, told other people I was a great human being. He was sort of my own personal ambassador, he believed in me more than I believe in myself.

that's a great way to be a Dad.........and certainly what i strive to do for my own children........the world isn't getting any easier

Being an only child, I am really really close to my parents (especially my mom).

My mom and I both share the same zodiac sign and our personalities are very very similar. My mom can sense when I have something on my mind and always urges me to talk about it. Our birthdays are barely 24 hours apart. I can confidently go to my mom for advice at any time. The same thing goes for my dad. Many people have told me that I look like my dad and have the personality of my mom! B) I think that I can talk to my parents about anything under the sun. They always listen to me and try to give me the best advice possible. Plus, they always encourage me, keep reminding me to look at the sunny side of things and remind me of my positive traits whenever I have feelings of anxiety or extreme hopelessness. Like any kid growing up, I have had my diifferences with my parents (especially with my dad sometimes, when I thought that his expectations for me were a bit too high in terms of matters pertaining to grades or which subject I should major in at Uni). My folks and I have always managed to resolve our differences by listening to each other's point of view and coming to a suitable compromise. Even while laying down certain rules for me to follow as a kid, they have reasoned out with me as to what's right and what's wrong. All in all, my parents mean the world to me. I really love spending time with them, be it watching a game of soccer with my dad or visiting the art gallery with my mom.

My mother died in 1975 and my dad in 1991.

My dad was real quiet (til we REALLY messed up) and my mother took care of business around the house.

I really didn't get along too good with my mother til about the last 3 years of her life. Strange how you change as we became real close then.

My dad was later shuffled around by my low life sister who only wanted him around for his social security. She died from cancer about 15 years ago.

"Father!" "Yes, son?" "I want to kill yew".

You know the rest...

That bad Major? Sorry to hear it. I met my biological father two years ago at the age of 52, I guess once my step father had passed away from Leukemia in 2007 it gave my mother the green light in her mind to have me meet my real father. I would have preferred it happened when my late step father was alive. I could have told him how disappointed I really am in the prick.

My dad was real quiet (til we REALLY messed up) and my mother took care of business around the house.

I really didn't get along too good with my mother til about the last 3 years of her life. Strange how you change as we became real close then.

My dad was later shuffled around by my low life sister who only wanted him around for his social security. She died from cancer about 15 years ago.

I am not close at all with my sister either. I know the feeling. I have not one thing in common with her. I could write pages criticising her.

my mum died in 75 too, and my dad in 2004.

as i was only 13 when my mum died, i didn't really get to know her that well. one memory i will cherish is that we both played the same sport, hockey, and she and i would walk to the park where our matches were held every saturday in winter. i was put on the field as soon as i could hold the stick, about 5 years old, and loved it.

they weren't particularly skilled in parenting, pretty poor actually. but there was no abuse or neglect. i enjoyed my childhood.

after mum died, dad went full on alcoholic ( he was a pretty good drinker before she died, too ). and i was never close to him

Not so good with my mom. I have always been jealous of those who have a close relationship with their mom. Cherish it!!

My Dad and I are cut from the same cloth..stoic Yankees. It works for us!

I am not close at all with my sister either. I know the feeling. I have not one thing in common with her. I could write pages criticising her.

My sister was great when she was married and was raising her kids. But after her divorce she went downhill and basically became a barfly.

my mum died in 75 too, and my dad in 2004.

as i was only 13 when my mum died, i didn't really get to know her that well. one memory i will cherish is that we both played the same sport, hockey, and she and i would walk to the park where our matches were held every saturday in winter. i was put on the field as soon as i could hold the stick, about 5 years old, and loved it.

they weren't particularly skilled in parenting, pretty poor actually. but there was no abuse or neglect. i enjoyed my childhood.

after mum died, dad went full on alcoholic ( he was a pretty good drinker before she died, too ). and i was never close to him

My mother used to always take me fishing as a kid in San Francisco. She would even take me after I got out of school and we would ride the bus to Fisherman's Wharf or the Ferry Building. Those are some of my best childhood memories. She also took me bowling at Park Bowl on Haight St. and I remember they had small bowling balls for kids. But when I turned 13 the devil began to possess me (isn't that true with most teenagers?) and for the next 10 years I was a total misfit/loser involved with drugs and terrible withdrawal. One day in the early 70's it was like a light turned on and I became a human being again and me and my mom became close buddies and bowling was her passion and I was a scorekeeper. My dad eventually got into bowling too after he retired and it also brought him and my mom closer. Strange how life works. My dad would walk to work, come home, eat, have some wine and play his guitar. I took up guitar way later after he passed and now I wish he were here to hear me play on my classical. I think he would be proud and would probably say to me: What the hell took you so long?' :lol:

He had a nice Martin guitar that disappeared after he died and we think my low life niece sold it for drugs. Bitch!

I get along fine with both my parents, although I'm closer to my dad than I am my mom. My parents were never married & I spent most of my childhood & teen years with my father. I can talk with him about anything,whereas with my mom I'm a lttle more withdrawn & I find it hard to open up to her about my private life (I still love her though)...

I remember that in the year my father died we went to see "The Day After Tomorrow" in a small Virginia town where we happened to be traveling. Despite his best intentions to relax and see the film, he fell asleep. Those were some of the first signs of a cancer that kept growing during the Spring and took his life in the Summer.

I was thinking I should see that film again, although I'd relive that occasion when we also browsed an antique shop that was nearby. Cinema and antiques were some of his hobbies, although he did not have enough spare time, much like myself -I'm becoming him with each passing day.

My mother used to whip our asses, but none of us ever ended up as criminals or in prison. Oh, I did a stint as a truant when I was 13 and a couple of my brothers had DUI's, but no major crime bosses emerged from our family (7 girls, 6 boys)

• 2 months later...

I got on really well with both my parents even when I grew my hair down to my waist, sadly they both passed away in 2009, within a few months of each other, they had been married for almost 64 years and were togethet for70 years, they lived next door to each other and the only time they were seperated was during WW2

I got on really well with both my parents even when I grew my hair down to my waist, sadly they both passed away in 2009, within a few months of each other, they had been married for almost 64 years and were togethet for70 years, they lived next door to each other and the only time they were seperated was during WW2

That's a nice story, it reminds me of my grandparents. They were together for more than 50 years and passed within months of each other as well. As far as my parents go....that's another story. My mother has been married 3 three times, divorced twice and now a widower. My father re-married and adopted her children as his and never paid child support to us. He was in and out of jail for stealing money from businesses he worked for, to use it to gamble with. He passed in '08 and left me some money, which I used to pre-pay my son's college tuition with. There were some good times, but mostly disappoinment. He did keep in touch better once my son was born. At least our relationship finished on a positive note, just wished we had more consistent contact during my formative years. My mother has never really been a mother....very selfish. Now that I'm a parent, I just don't see how people can be that way to their own kids.

Peace.

I'm sure you will be a great Dad, my two daughters avoid me like the plague, my fault I used to have a drinking problem (thankfully I am over it now). I never mistreated them and I never let my drinking interfere with the daily running of the house. I.E. I never spent the housekepping money or anything like that, but my 18 year old hates me with a passion. Still I suppose it's to be expected, anyway she is very clever so I haven't affected her in that way, and I have never hit any female in my life. I was quite a happy drinker, go to work, come home drink in the house listen to music go to bed etc.etc.

Archived