Davey Jones

redrum

I believe there is a quiet mourning for his passing. Davy and the Monkees were a big part of my childhood. This is very sad news to me and most other women who grew up with the Monkees in the late 60's. I have posted some of my other sentiments in the Monkees thread in Other Bands forum. RIP Davy

Who is they? And what do you mean by ape shit? One wouldn't expect all the news stations to go to 24 hour coverage of this, but the local radio stations had tributes. XM 60's on 6 had live DJ's doing wall to wall tributes (it does my heart good to know XM has live DJ's - and Cousin Brucie!) And all of the NPR programming I listened to this afternoon did tributes...

i loved the monkees. i used to run home after school every day to watch their tv show.

i saw davy and his wife recently on ( of all things ) the dr phil show. she was complaining about davy being messy about the house! :wacko:

bet she wishes he was still here being messy now ........ :(

I may be wrong but I think maybe redrum is making a joke in relation to "The Monkees" and "apeshit".

Well, now that I think about it. :^) I didn't mean it that way, just the difference between his and the Whitney coverage.

I liked some of their songs too back in the day and 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' was a good one. Of course The Monkees got bad coverage when the media reported that they couldn't play their instruments???

I saw Mickey Dolenz in the 90's at the fair and he played guitar and sang his heart out and put on a good show.

At least Davy didn't OD like so many others (as far as I know)

Even though I've seen no coverage of either of their deaths on TV I've been able to measure it somewhat by the online and print response. I think the difference lies in how Whitney Houston was constantly fodder for the tabloid press (print and TV) whereas Davy Jones lived his life largely out of the public spotlight. She lived her life in the spotlight and was the subject of much sensationalism so it's no wonder the press (in general) gave so much attention to her passing. Same thing for Amy Winehouse.

I just posted my response to Davy's death on the Monkees thread, so I won't rehash it here.

But I will say that we played the Monkees all day at my friend's bookstore. We were having a book signing last night and a couple regulars showed up that are well-versed in 60s pop culture, having written many books on the era. So I got to chat with them about Davy Jones...as well as the Beach Boys upcoming reunion(well sort of...Dennis and Carl sadly can't make it, except in spirit).

Everyone at the event seemed to be sad at the news...but yeah, as Jahfin noted, it's not like Davy lived his life in the tabloids making a freak and spectacle of himself and his family. So accordingly, the media reaction is going to be more restrained and muted than it was for Whitney or Anna Nicole Smith or Angelina(ooops, sorry, she's still alive).

Good post Strider, I agree. If there's no drama or scandal then there's not a lot of screaming headlines. Jones as far as I can tell never lived the "celebrity" life so it seems it's just business as usual with the "entertainment" press as they wait for the next wreck of humanity to die.

I bet they're all on the Demi Moore watch as we speak..................guaranteed headlines there if it were to happen.

Davy seemed a classy guy, a real raver. All this bullshit about Whitney and MJ makes me sick. Before those two died all anyone could say was how Michael Jackson was a child molester and Whitney Houston was a doped up crack-whore bitch way passed her shelf life. Now that both are dead everyone looks at MJ like he was baby Jesus and Whitney like the Virgin Mary who by no fault of her own was abducted, cornholed, and forced to smoke crack by that evil Bobby Brown turning her into something she had no control over becoming, like Brown was some sort of Svengali.

Anyway, rest in peace Davy, you will be missed. MJ & Whitney, you both too will be missed and were great talents, however both were flawed and we should not forget that.

They had a Monkees marathon yesterday on 'Antenna TV' and then later in the evening they showed 'HEAD' again but I missed the first part of it. Frank Zappa looked like a giant compared to one of the Monkees he was talking too. :lol: It's really an off the wall flick with some great editing. I love that quirky stuff. :^)

Archived