Page, Plant and Jones as HOF Candidates

Artists become eligible for induction in to the R&R Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. With that said both Robert Plant and Jimmt Page have been eligible since 2007as solo artist. JPJ is eligible in 2024. I'm thinking Percy deserves to be there. Page not so much, not due to talent but rather the body of work is not there.

What do you think?

Page is already in twice, Once as a member of The Yardbirds and obviously LZ.... which is plenty. I think if Page got ina 3rd time it woulld be for the huge number of studio sessions... he should get in a 3rd time for all of his studio work from the 60's. He played with everyone.

I think only 1 person has been inducted 3 times and that's Eric Clapton... solo, Cream & The Yardbirds.

Page is already in twice, Once as a member of The Yardbirds and obviously LZ.... which is plenty. I think if Page got ina 3rd time it woulld be for the huge number of studio sessions... he should get in a 3rd time for all of his studio work from the 60's. He played with everyone.

I think only 1 person has been inducted 3 times and that's Eric Clapton... solo, Cream & The Yardbirds.

You're right, they have inducted musicians under the "sidemen" category, and Jimmy no doubt belongs as one of the top session musicians in one of pop music's most fertile eras.

There are plenty of people who haven't been inducted once who deserve to be there so forget about musicians/artists who had a solo career after what made them famous to begin with being inducted again, save for Clapton as he did have a bigger solo career than what he had with the Yardbirds & Cream. Was it really necessary to rush John Lennon into the Hall as a solo artist? Wasn't being a Beatle enough in life, nevermind already being inducted to the Hall Of Fame as a Beatle? Couldn't have T. Rex gone in instead, or The Faces, The Stooges, Love, Captain Beefheart, Gram Parsons, etc. during that specific induction? Robert Plant was inducted as a member of Led Zeppelin, arguably the biggest band next to The Beatles, I think that's fair enough for now, give someone else a chance.

I could see Page being inducted again but I don't think Plant qualifies as being all that influential as a solo artist, whereas Led Zeppelin most certainly was. People tend to forget the criteria for induction isn't based on popularity (due to record sales or sell out concerts), it's largely based on influence. That said, it's quite possible that Plant could be considered influential for some of his late career moves by not doing what's expected of him at all.

There are plenty of people who haven't been inducted once who deserve to be there so forget about musicians/artists who had a solo career after what made them famous to begin with being inducted again, save for Clapton as he did have a bigger solo career than what he had with the Yardbirds & Cream. Was it really necessary to rush John Lennon into the Hall as a solo artist? Wasn't being a Beatle enough in life, nevermind already being inducted to the Hall Of Fame as a Beatle? Couldn't have T. Rex gone in instead, or The Faces, The Stooges, Love, Captain Beefheart, Gram Parsons, etc. during that specific induction? Robert Plant was inducted as a member of Led Zeppelin, arguably the biggest band next to The Beatles, I think that's fair enough for now, give someone else a chance.

Agree with much of what you say but where Page is concerned, it's not like the "sidemen" category is keeping The Faces, Gram Parsons, etc. out of the Hall...

Personally speaking, I don't care one way or the other about the HOF but I do agree that other bands or artists should be in and they're not. Page, Percy and Jones are already in under various past glories, give others who are worthy their induction first.

Agree with much of what you say but where Page is concerned, it's not like the "sidemen" category is keeping The Faces, Gram Parsons, etc. out of the Hall...

I'm not entirely sure if I follow you here but I can't say that I've really ever thought of the Faces as sidemen. Plus, they're being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame this year. As for Gram, I'm not sure if he's ever even been nominated. Certainly his work with the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers is noteworthy but I wouldn't consider his work with the latter group to be that of a "sideman". Thing is, if he's ever nominated (or inducted) I have a feeling it would be as a solo artist instead of the Flying Burrito Brothers as a whole. Even though I love his solo work, I think it was his tenure with the Flying Burrito Brothers that was more significant from an influential perspective. Sadly, a lot of people probably didn't even know who he was until after he died.

None of those artists I mentioned were "sidemen", they were part of bands that were put across as a unit, the lone exception maybe being Gram Parsons because he wasn't inducted as a member of The Byrds & The Flying Burrito Brothers don't have a chance in hell of getting in but Parsons influence throughout those 2 bands & his brief solo career might eventually get him a stand alone nomination. When I think of sidemen I think of someone like James Burton or Scotty Moore who were both a part of Elvis's bands but obviously didn't go into the hall with him. As far as the Faces, they've been eligible for the same amount of time as Zeppelin & only now they're getting in, nevermind the Small Faces who formed in 1965. Again, as great as John Lennon is/was did he have to be inducted as a solo artist immediately when he already had his recognition in the HOF for his greatest body of work? No, he was put mainly for the draw of his name at the expense of others & obviously it's not his fault for that but still... recognize other artists first then do the whole solo trip later.

Ummm, Page-no; Jones-no; Plant-maybe.

But like dazedcat said, who cares anymore? Thanks to Jann Wenner and his Rolling Stone acolytes, the Rock and Roll HOF has become as dreary as the magazine itself.

I suppose if there's any good that comes from it it's that some of the more obscure or forgotten musicians of the past get a little attention once in a while...usually under the "influences" or "sidemen" category.

The Grammys, the Hall of Fame, mainstream corporate radio, American Idol...these all seem designed for and cater to the non-music fan. The ones who rarely buy a record or go to a club to see a band. The ones who will just listen to whatever's on Top 40 radio and when you ask them what music or band they like, they reply "they don't really have one".

Every hardcore music fan already has their own personal Hall of Fame and nothing Jann Wenner and his cronies do makes a bit of difference in the long run.

Put it this way...what's more important: Led Zeppelin's music or the fact they're in the HOF?

Actually, in 2011 the "sideman" category was replaced by something called the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Award for Musical Excellence which came into play when Leon Russell was inducted. Even though I don't always agree with their choices, I really don't see the Hall as a place for non-music fans. For instance, I don't think of the Velvet Underground and similar bands as artists that "non-music" fans would be into so if their induction (which I feel was deserved) brings them to someone's attention that they otherwise may have never heard then their induction would have been worth it. One thing I really don't understand is denying artists such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Sabbath their due for years on end because someone at the Hall has a stick up their ass about them. If they were influential and "had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll" (to quote the Hall's own criteria for induction), then by all means, induct them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like the Replacements are worthy of induction but will they ever be recognized by the Hall? Probably not.

When you realize that Rush one of the most influencial progressive hard rock bands still isn't in the R&RHOF after about 12 or 13 years of being eligible, that thing lost credibility a long time ago.

When you realize that Rush one of the most influencial progressive hard rock bands still isn't in the R&RHOF after about 12 or 13 years of being eligible, that thing lost credibility a long time ago.

Rolling Stone did something like a 17 page spread on them several years ago which caught me completely off guard. Perhaps Wennner is finally coming around.

Talk about someone haveing a stick up their arse, someone sure does about Deep Purple, they should have been in long ago,3 members of the band have said if it ever happens their reply would be 'no thanks' to them the Hall has became watered down and they dont want to be part of that. if their day ever comes I hope they indeed reject it.

Talk about someone haveing a stick up their arse, someone sure does about Deep Purple, they should have been in long ago,3 members of the band have said if it ever happens their reply would be 'no thanks' to them the Hall has became watered down and they dont want to be part of that. if their day ever comes I hope they indeed reject it.

Funny how when the Sex Pistols refused to appear for their induction, that decision was met with applause and much merry making from Wenner and others who choose the inductees. Something tells me that if the members of Deep Purple are actually ever chosen and refuse to show up, their refusal won't be met with the same response. By the way, that whole Sex Pistols thing was just as calculated as their entire career.

Funny how when the Sex Pistols refused to appear for their induction, that decision was met with applause and much merry making from Wenner and others who choose the inductees. Something tells me that if the members of Deep Purple are actually ever chosen and refuse to show up, their refusal won't be met with the same response. By the way, that whole Sex Pistols thing was just as calculated as their entire career.

jahfin please explain why you think that ?

jahfin please explain why you think that ?

If you're referring to the Sex Pistols, just look at their career and the comment Johnny Rotten made at their last show, "ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" which was in reference to Malcolm McLauren and how he orchestrated their entire career. You would think the infamous note the Sex Pistols sent to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame was meant to elicit a less than favorable response. Instead, it was greeted with cheering and approval from Jan Wenner and others who are responsible for inducting artists. In other words, if it was meant to piss off the Hall of Fame people, Rotten failed miserably.

All of that said, even though I'm not necessarily a fan of punk rock, I admire the Sex Pistols (and similar bands) for what they did, which was to shake up the world of rock n' roll which was very needed at the time. You would think their note to the Hall would have had a similar effect but it didn't, it had none at all. That made it seem more like a publicity stunt gone wrong than the "fuck you" to the Hall that it was supposedly intended to be.

By the way, if Deep Purple ever are nominated and inducted, it will be interesting to see if they actually follow up on their refusal to take part in the induction ceremonies. I remember Ozzy expressing very similar thoughts about Black Sabbath but when it became a reality, they showed up and took part in their induction.

Archived