What do you think of these guitars?

DAS

I'm looking for a new guitar. I don't play in a band I just play at home as a hobby. I'd like one of the awesome double neck guitars but they are a little pricey. Then I found this link. What do you think? Do you think they're legit or cheap crap? If I don't get one I've been saving money for a Gibson Les Paul and I know those are quality guitars.

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/double+neck+guitar/2.html

They look okay....I would be reluctant to buy a guitar online as they can look nice but it's how they feel and how they play. What I look for is a guitar with a "low action" i.e. how high the strings are above the fretboard. You want the strings to be as low to the fretboard as possible, but not so low the open strings buzz. You can modify this yourself, but it's a pain in the arse to get right (for me at least) Anyway, it’s probably the most important thing to be aware of and look out for, especially if you're a beginner.

I have a Vintage V100 Les Paul copy, great action on it, plays really nice, I don't know if you can get them in the U.S but that's all I can personally recommend..

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

These are all shite, stick to your plan and gut the Les Paul Standard. It's cheaper than a custom and is just as good. Besides, unless you are in a band and wish to get a double neck as a novelty, they are just a pain in the ass. Even on the actual Gibson, the 12 string is constantly going out of tune, that has always been a problem for 12 strings...always going out of tune and always replacing strings.

^^^^

What he said.

A double neck is a bit of a novelty item...I would say, If you can afford a Gibson Les Paul, go for it...but if you want to save yourself some cash, an Epiphone or a Vintage V100 Les Paul is going to be more than good enough for just playing the guitar at home.

Reminds me of when I once bought a Rickenbacker copy guitar many years ago when I first started playing, just because it was so rare to see a left handed Rickenbacker copy...It played like absolute garbage, but it did look good...

Agree with the above - save your money for a guitar that you will play, not one that just looks cool. I have a 1975 white Gibson and I've only played it a dozen times. It's heavy as hell, not balanced well but it sounds and plays great. A cheap Chinese knock-off probably won't even sound or play well.

Archived