Pandora.com

DAS

I listen to Pandora every day, at the office or at home through my blue ray player. The stations i have set up are, Thievery Corporation, Glenn Miller, Chill / Down Tempo, Walter Wanderly, Benny Goodman, Moby, Gustav Hoist and Vince Guaraldi Trio Holiday.

It's the first thing i do in the morning when i get to the office is log on to Pandora. I use the free account, i dont mind the commericals, its only like one every 20 min.

I love that you can season the stations the way you want by thumbs up'ing or thumbs down'ing too. A few others I listen to alot are Otis Rush; Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; MGMT, Zac Brown (and seasonally, Country Christmas). The Zeppelin one ironically has too much Bob Seger etc. and not enough Zeppelin.

I've found that by telling Pandora what you don't like only seems to work best. Their software doesn't go by band name it goes by a musical type. I started a jazz guitar station using Pat Metheny and several other contemporary players and by various "dislikes" I now get a steady stream of jazz guitarists both contemporary and older. I did similar with an acoustic blues station, by disliking anything electric I've got a nice delta blues radio station now as well.

I'll probably get negative feedback for this since I always do but I HATE the Beatles. I think their the worst band ever. But no matter how much I vote them down Pandora keeps trying to make me listen.

I have built an awesome radio station specializing in hard rock and blues from the 60's and 70's. I have successfully kicked out anything post 1980, and completely eliminated the Who and the Doors. Great for when I am drawing, driving to school, trying to get to sleep, working around the house, whatever.

Apparently they use the music genome project to pick songs with similar chord structures and musical features. I agree that telling it what you don't like is the best way to build the station. That and adding song or artist seeds. For my station I have Led Zeppelin and Robin Trower as the artist seeds I think.

Archived