Sea of Love

Janvier

What's your general opinion of this song? Was it that bad? According to wikipedia:

"To Plant's horror,[citation needed] "Sea of Love" became Plant's biggest-selling single. According to Plant, the original single was "Rockin' at Midnight," with "Sea of Love" as the "B" side. The single was eventually "flipped" because radio stations were playing "Sea of Love" far more than Rockin' at Midnight. Plant feared his career would be ruined by this, and that people would think of him now as a "crooner", instead of the rock and roll singer he'd always been.[citation needed] As a result, when he would be asked about The Honeydrippers in years to come, Plant would refer to The Honeydrippers as having been "put to sleep."[citation needed] "Rockin at Midnight" is a remake of the 1949 recording by Roy Brown, the song's author, who wrote it as an answer record to his 1947 composition and recording, "Good Rockin' Tonight".

http://en.wikipedia....ers:_Volume_One

Love the song. Something is not quite right though. My Sea of Love/Rockin' At Midnight 45 has Sea Of Love as the main song on it. The 45 with Rockin' At Midnight as the main song has Young Boy Blues on the B-Side.

Every picture sleeve lists "Sea Of Love" as the A-side. Maybe that's not what Plant had in mind, but I've never seen a version of that single that listed "Sea Of Love" as the B-side.

It's true that there were two different 45s with the same catalog number ("Sea Of Love" b/w "Rockin' At Midnight" and "Sea Of Love" b/w "I Get A Thrill"; Es Paranza 99701), but I think the 2nd single is just the Canadian pressing.

It's not a bad song, but it's not RP's usual style. That's probably why he was so shocked and was afraid it would get him typecast as a crooner. This was early in his solo career and he wanted Honeydrippers to be a side project, not a career-defining move.

Come on people...you should know by now not to accept everything on Wikipedia as the gospel truth. It's like believing everything you read in Rolling Stone.

Seriously, in just that short snippet zemun posted there were three "citation needed" requests alone!

I think Plant recognized he was being thrown in to the commercial world of pop bubblegum with this type of song; direction. He was smart to not take the bait and move in another direction. His mullet haircut days were bad enough to stomach.......

It's harmless enough, not my kind of sound at all with that horrible, overblown eighties production. The less said about the video, the better. As mentioned above, nice solo by Jimmy, I wouldn't say it's one of the best he ever laid down, but it's the standout moment on the track. I prefer the Cat Power version.

The best part of the song, as usual, is the simply stunning solo Jimmy throws in the middle. One of the best solos Jimmy ever laid down IMHO. Short sweet and unforgettable.

What a great solo it was. My favorite part of the song, although I enjoy the entire tune aside from Jimmy's input. I thought the whole Honeydrippers EP was very cool.

That was a great solo by Jimmy. Obviously done on the Telecaster as that was what he was playing mostly during the 80's.

Can't believe a lot for fact what is posted on Wikipedia as anyone can post on this site and be included in any subject, Not 100% positive if it works this way, but I've heard it works this way to some degree. Perhaps, someone here can clarify this more.

Can't believe a lot for fact what is posted on Wikipedia as anyone can post on this site and be included in any subject, Not 100% positive if it works this way, but I've heard it works this way to some degree. Perhaps, someone here can clarify this more.

Correct. Anyone can contribute to wikipedia and that's the beauty of it. In fact, there was a study in the early 2000s I believe, comparing wikipedia to Encyclopaedia Britannica and it concluded that both were very similar in the content they offered, thus making both reliable to the student.

Coincidentally I just read an Associated Press dispatch: "Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. said Tuesday that it will stop publishing print editions of its flagship encyclopedia for the first time since the sets were originally published more than 200 years ago."

Archived