What Floats on a Sea of Screams and is a Highly Underrated Show?

bamf4k

Just a thread to discuss Led-Zeppelin's performance at The Kingdome in Seattle, Wsahington on July 17, 1977. I hear people knocking this show all the time, and I've listened to it quite a bit, and aside from Robert's shaky voice and a less than amazing solo in "Over the Hills and Far Away", I really don't see or hear what is so bad about this show.

IMHO, it's a good - not great - show by '77 standards. Bonzo seems bored, if not tired.

Think Bonzo might have been coming down off something, notice that he's wearing a jacket during Kashmir.

I used to bash the show itself quite a bit. After listening to it quite a few times I've found it to be a tad more enjoyable but I still think its pretty lackluster compared to a lot of shows from '77, and I've listened to everything that is available. Jimmy looks, and a lot of the time sounds completely smacked out of his tree. There are some high points to the show however, No Quarter is pretty good and the Stairway solo is one of the best Page ever played imo. Love the little impromptu jazz interlude during Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp when Jimmy breaks a string also. The audience recording that is out there for this show is much better than the very stale sounding video soundtrack that is usually touted as a soundboard recording. It gives the listener a very good sense of just how big Zeppelin had become by 1977.

It's also quite fitting and almost surreal that, in the last drum solo Bonham ever played he incorprated parts he had played from the inception of Moby Dick (and even Pat's Delight) in 1968.

At the end of the day there are a plethora of '77 shows that leave Seattle twitching in a pool of its own blood, so I don't know why you would give this one repeated listens, unless you're a '77 maniac like myself that is. :lol:

It's also quite fitting and almost surreal that, in the last drum solo Bonham ever played he incorprated parts he had played from the inception of Moby Dick (and even Pat's Delight) in 1968.

At the end of the day there are a plethora of '77 shows that leave Seattle twitching in a pool of its own blood, so I don't know why you would give this one repeated listens, unless you're a '77 maniac like myself that is. :lol:

What parts are those? I haven't really listened to much of the early drum solos so I wouldn't really know. Also, as a matter of fact I am also a "'77 maniac", very proudly so too. It's gotta be my favorite tour hands down, and I've been staving it off for awhile now until April starts, because then I'm going to listen to each show on their respective 35th anniversarys. And while I do enjoy Seattle, I think it would have been better if they hadn't tried to keep doing what they were doing in LA, i.e. a 30 minute No Quarter, an 11 minute long White Summer, a 28 minute "Over the Top", and a 14 minute Noise Solo (though I did like the extended theremin bit), I think that since they had just come off of a "break", they should've eased back into it a little slower and play these parts like they did at the beginning of the second leg.

What parts are those?

When he hits the kick drum twice and then does some fills, then goes back to the same kick drum routine and so on. Watch this from about 6:50 on and you'll hear what I mean, then watch the Albert Hall Moby Dick if you can be bothered and you'll hear similarities.

Archived