Your Favourite Three 70's & 80's Bands?

Cuban

Does Led Zeppelin count as a 60’s band or a 70’s bands? Same question for The Who and the Floyd?

Mine changes all of the time, but it won’t include Mott the Hoople despite the band’s cheering squad on this thread…

So at the moment it could be one of the following or some other option not listed:

Option 1

70’s – UFO, Led Zeppelin, and Doctors of Madness

80’s – Inxs, Def Leppard, and Whitesnake

Option 2

70’s – Led Zeppelin, The Viletones, Bob Marley

80’s – Public Enemy, Queen (from 1986-1991 my favourite era of Queen music), U2

Also since this about “bands” does Robert Plant count? I thought in the 80’s he was a solo artist who marched to his own drum?

Pretty tough to just pick 3 from each decade(and I'll assume you have your reasons for excluding the 60s, 90s and 00s). This required me to set up some ground rules to winnow the field to a manageable size.

Basically, for a band or solo artist to qualify for my list I had to like them as much at the end of the decade as I did at the beginning(sayonara Stones and Pink Floyd), or whenever it was I first heard them...and it had to be a period of 5 years or more. That eliminated any flash in the pans, or bands that were hot for an album or two, then petered out(I'm looking at you T. Rex). Of course, that meant that bands whose best years straddled the decades, like most first-wave punk bands, Van Halen, Elvis Costello or My Bloody Valentine, didn't make the cut for either the 70s or 80s. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Another criteria was that not only did they have to have put out great albums, but they also had to be great live. And I have to enjoy their music as much today as I did back then.

1970s: Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Marvin Gaye

1980s: Sonic Youth, The Cure, Prince

Just missing the cut:

1970s: Rory Gallagher, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Parliament-Funkadelic, David Bowie, Queen, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rolling Stones, Kraftwerk.

1980s: Jane's Addiction, Iron Maiden, Cocteau Twins, Replacements, Smiths, Hüsker Dü, Dream Syndicate, Metallica.

I cant stand the cure, how do you go from Zeppelin to them, they did a bad Hendrix cover , have hated them ever sense.

70's - Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix (Band Of Gypsys came was recorded in 70'), The Who, UFO, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath

80's - Stevie Ray Vaughn, U2, R.E.M, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Metallica, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Nirvana

Archived