2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

Almost went tonight because Brooks Robinson is my favorite player of all times and they unveiled his statue tonight. But since we're going tomorrow, figured one game per weekend would do.

Hope to be going to more games next weekend!!

He is my fav too EBK. I think I may have mentioned that. Then Dave McNally and Cal. Lets hope we get it done. I think it would be almost impossible for us to blow at least a wild card spot. But we want at least a shot at a one game vs Yankees for the division. I would think the Red Sox would want to make their lives miserable?

Cant say the statue of Brooks does him justice. He looked better than that. But he did look like a guy that you might wonder, how can that guy play this game? But nobody could field a hard hit ball down the third base line better, ever. Ask Johnny Bench. I have never seen the likes of the fielding him and Belanger used to put on. If you hit the ball on the ground to the left side, you were out automatically. Brooks was the best of all time. You can take Mike Schmidt, who was great, but he was not as good as Brooks. That will always be a debate. Some always give Schmidt the edge because he was a better power hitter no question about it. But Brooks had the glove to make up for it. Brooks Robinson was the best there ever was at third. And dont even bring up A Rod. He is not really a true 3rd baseman anyway.

^^^

Mike Schmidt was the better hitter but no queation Brooks Robinson was the finest fielding Third Baseman. The only other third baseman I have seen in my lifetime that came close to Brooks Robinson's fielding/defensive skills was Graig Nettles. But Nettles' career peak was shorter than Robinson's.

Meanwhile, the Angels are doomed. Even if Angels sweep Texas, if Seattle does what I hope and beats Oakland, then Texas clinches anyway and they'll have no reason to try hard against Oakland in their final series. It won't matter if the Angels sweep Seattle as the numbers aren't in their favour.

Yes indeed! As RP said in Vancouver during the famous radio concert from March, 1970!

Huh? Did you get your threads crossed Super Dave? I missed the part of that Vancouver show where Robert talked about Mariano Rivera in 1970 before he was even born, or expressed interest in the Orioles.

I want your copy of that 1970 Vancouver show as mine is obviously heavily edited. :D

I wonder if the Texas fans are starting to sweat Oakland. That division lead is down to only 2 games, Texas lost game 1 to the Angels & Oakland is winning right now. The heat is on.

Seattle is outhitting them 7-1 and down 2-1/ Two men on and I hope Seattle scores a bunch of runs. How the fuck can the Orioles not have clinched a playoff spot yet? Tampa cant catch us. 4 back with 3 games left. Angels cant catch us. WTF?

^^^

Huh? Did you get your threads crossed Super Dave? I missed the part of that Vancouver show where Robert talked about Mariano Rivera in 1970 before he was even born, or expressed interest in the Orioles.

I want your copy of that 1970 Vancouver show as mine is obviously heavily edited. :D

I was just agreeing with Stargroves Tangerine's comment that Mariano and Pettite are class acts on the NYY along with Jeter. Just said yes indeed to agree with her and Plant had said Yes indeed during that concert back in 1970. Just said it as a reference, didn't cross my threads. I guess you didn't know what I was talking about. Just wanted to clear it up for you.

I think my copy of the show is heavily edited as well.

Rangers better not blow this game, like they did in the first game today.

I gotta tell you... and I'm sorry about this Sean :) ... after the game this afternoon, they put the Rangers/Angels game on the screen. The entire team was on the field watching and we were all standing watching...waiting to celebrate... could have been so much more fun

Sigh.....

Still, a wonderful afternoon!!!

Angels have cut the lead to one with 6 outs left now. O's hoping Rangers bullpen can hold.

Texas had better start to worry about themselves. If they blow this they only lead Oakland by one and have 3 games out there to end. Oakland is on fire. I do not think Texas has good enough pitching to stop Oakland.

Shields will pitch Tues vs Gonzalez who has been great for us. I expect Texas to be in for war in Oakland. Oakland is going to be tough to beat. I hope we can get some help from the Red Sox but I am not very confident of that. We may have to sweep Tampa. A tall order. And if we do, who do we send to the mound if we must play a one game playoff for all the marbles to advance? What if Hammel is ready? My vote is for Tillman. But I am not the man running the ship and he has done one of the best jobs any manager has ever done. I dont know how Buck would handle it? Last three days are going to be nuts. Texas can sure hit, but do they have the pitching? I do not like their staff. But I dont like the Yankees now either. I think Baltimore and Detroit may have the best pitching. That is assuming the Angels do not make it. The Angels have Weaver and Greinke.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to pinch myself. Is this real? 15 years but to me it feels like 29. 29 since we truly had a chance. 1983, Cal Ripken's rookie season and we won the World Series with Joe Altobelli. Rochester, NY native who I have shook hands with at Tommy LaSorda's dinner here back in the 90's. The Orioles are back and i believe they have a real chance.

Archived