2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Bud Selig...THE WORST COMMISSIONER IN THE WORLD OF SPORTS! Tied All-Star Games, juiced baseballs and even more JUICED players, Home field advantage to the World Series decided by an exhibition game, interleague play, unbalanced schedules, One-game playoff, home field advantage that really isn't, games that don't end until after midnight, World Series in November, no day games in World Series, no double-headers...the list goes on and on.

Absolutely! Could not agree with you more! Just complete stupidity. Who did, Bud consult for all of this...his pet monkey?

Anybody see Hamilton and Washington after the game comments? Both pissed. I do not think Hamilton will return to Texas

Nope. Didn't see them, Rick. Care to elaborate? Who or what were they pissed about?

Okay, after reading the tea leaves, gazing into my cloudy ball and invoking Great Odin's Beard, here's my brief rundown on the playoffs...

Baltimore vs. New York: Baltimore, of course!

Sorry Walter, you're a pleasant chap and all, but I've seen this movie too many times already. The Yankees have won enough. Time for fresh blood.

Oakland vs. Detroit: Detroit.

I've seen this movie too! Oakland scraps and fights its way into the playoffs and everyone gets excited and marvels how Oakland does this on a shoestring budget and hails Billy Beane and the 'Moneyball' system. Then, Oakland and its shiny young dewy-eyed players go out and wilt in the glare and pressure of the playoffs, promptly getting smacked down by the big, bad millionaire superstars. Often in the first round.

Will this year be any different? Maybe...it helps that they only have to face Detroit and not the Yankees or the Orioles in the first round. But with Verlander, I still like Detroit's chances.

Washington vs. St. Louis: Washington.

Don't really care about any of the NL series, as I dislike all the teams...but Baltimore has to play somebody in the World Series, so it might as well be Washington. It'd be cool to have a Beltway Series. Right, ebk?

San Francisco vs. Cincinnati: San Francisco.

Actually, I'm rooting for an asteroid to fall out of the sky and crush the Giants. No...that's a little too harsh. But only a little.

Just kidding redrum. ;)

No, though I hate the Giants, I just don't see the Reds beating them. San Francisco has too much...in fact, this might be the only sweep of the first round.

Nope. Didn't see them, Rick. Care to elaborate? Who or what were they pissed about?

Okay, after reading the tea leaves, gazing into my cloudy ball and invoking Great Odin's Beard, here's my brief rundown on the playoffs...

Baltimore vs. New York: Baltimore, of course!

Sorry Walter, you're a pleasant chap and all, but I've seen this movie too many times already. The Yankees have won enough. Jeter and Rivera will have another chance to win so let another team win this year.

Oakland vs. Detroit: Detroit.

I've seen this movie too! Oakland scraps and fights its way into the playoffs and everyone gets excited and marvels how Oakland does this on a shoestring budget and hails Billy Beane and the 'Moneyball' system. Then, Oakland and its shiny young dewy-eyed players go out and wilt in the glare and pressure of the playoffs, promptly getting smacked down by the big, bad millionaire superstars. Often in the first round.

Will this year be any different? Maybe...it helps that they only have to face Detroit and not the Yankees or the Orioles in the first round. But with Verlander, I still like Detroit's chances.

Washington vs. St. Louis: Washington.

Don't really care about any of the NL series, as I dislike all the teams...but Baltimore has to play somebody in the World Series, so it might as well be Washington. It'd be cool to have a Beltway Series. Right, ebk?

San Francisco vs. Cincinnati: San Francisco.

Actually, I'm rooting for an asteroid to fall out of the sky and crush the Giants. No...that's a little too harsh. But only a little.

Just kidding redrum. ;)

No, though I hate the Giants, I just don't see the Reds beating them. San Francisco has too much...in fact, this might be the only sweep of the first round.

You beat me to the punch Strider. So Ill give my picks but first, Hamilton basically told off the reporter and then gave him the goo goo eyes look and Washington was pretty pissed. He said "I saw it and now I have to live with it". (In a very nasty tone)

Here goes

National league

Washington over St Louis in 5

San Fransisco over Cincy in 6

American League

Oakland over Detroit in 4

Baltimore over the Yankees in 5

An ALCS series with memories of Jim Palmer vs Vida Blue

Strider, are those your picks or your wants? Yankees won't lose because they've won enough, they'll lose because their pitching is slim and Baltimore is younger and hungrier - IMO.

Whatever the reason... :)

Rick, Jason Hammel is starting.

^^^

And the Yankees are starting Pettite in Game 2...guess the O's will counter with Chen?

Strider, are those your picks or your wants? Yankees won't lose because they've won enough, they'll lose because their pitching is slim and Baltimore is younger and hungrier - IMO.

My picks. Ha, my wants would be for the Angels to be still playing. ;)

But I do want Baltimore to win it all.

Whatever the reason... :)

Rick, Jason Hammel is starting.

I pmed you. Thank so much. This is great news. I was not sure he was ready. They reported he might be ready Saturday, but then I thought to myself, if he is ready Sat why not Friday? Certainly I would have chose him over Saunders. But now Saunders is a new hero in town. we have Chen, well rested. Tilman and Gonzalez. I think I would go with Gonzalez in game two as well as he pitched. I do not believe Pettitte is what he was. I think they are gambling big time with him. We can get him.

We are now loaded at the pitcher position. I love this team. The sky is the limit

Oh, and I am happy you are with us Strider

^^^

Happy to be aboard...besides, it's October, the month of Halloween. What better colours to fly than the Black & Orange of Baltimore?

Ha. Now that is one I never thought of. Good one buddy. I wonder what difference the weather may play? Its warmer in Baltimore and Oakland than in Detroit or Cincy and of course NY. The ball will carrry better in Baltimore I would think?

That was a really good game in Detroit. Verlander was on as I predicted. We'll see how the rest of that rotation does. Hope the National League game coming up is another good one.

They say Cincy has the best bullpen in the National league? I guess we will see. Harold from MLB channel, who I respect a ton, says they must pitch around Posey and not alllow him to beat them. I agree. But I still am picking the Giants to win it. Hope Im wrong because I would rather see the redlegs win.

Excellent performance by Verlander. What most people don't get about this dude is he's getting better. He doesn't throw 130 pitches out of necessity....it's because he's still struggling to pitch within himself. The boy gets geeked up out there ! His motion is so fluid, that I think his talent is in the class of Seaver and Palmer, and I think he's going to pitch at this level until he's 40 (but maybe not for us). After only one game, it's pretty easy to see the differences in these teams. I hate to be negative, but the Tigers can't field for shit, and I still think it's going to show up somewhere down the road in these playoffs. People under-estimate the Tigers playoff experience though. I'll take our four starting pitchers over anybody's, and I think we're going to go as far in these playoffs as they take us.

I'd prefer Oakland to win over Detroit because of a few likeable former Red Sox players now playing for the A's, and it would be a nice change. If Detroit wins that's fine with me too.

And yes, Verlander is a beast and seems like a good dude.

Excellent performance by Verlander. What most people don't get about this dude is he's getting better. He doesn't throw 130 pitches out of necessity....it's because he's still struggling to pitch within himself. The boy gets geeked up out there ! His motion is so fluid, that I think his talent is in the class of Seaver and Palmer, and I think he's going to pitch at this level until he's 40 (but maybe not for us). After only one game, it's pretty easy to see the differences in these teams. I hate to be negative, but the Tigers can't field for shit, and I still think it's going to show up somewhere down the road in these playoffs. People under-estimate the Tigers playoff experience though. I'll take our four starting pitchers over anybody's, and I think we're going to go as far in these playoffs as they take us.

I dont know if you can put him with Palmer and Seaver just yet. On paper they may have the best starting lineup. But the Orioles starting lineup is sort of make shift and just developing and very underated. We have the best bullpen. I like our chances. You guys dont have to face a lineup with 5 future hall of famers every night. If we beat the Yankees we will beat anyone.

A few more years and performances like this year, than perhaps you can put Verlander in that category with those Hall of Famers. But he will need those longevity stats to get there. Certainly, 2,500+ Ks and 250+ wins with a career E.R.A. under 3.00. Very tough to do these days. Especially, the ERA. He will never match total innings pitched as back in the 70's and even a bit later, starters like Seaver and Palmer would have numerous complete games during a season. Easily, more than half of their starts. Now it's a rarity, unless going for a no-no or shutout. Times have certainly changed.

Hope you got two TVs set up, Rick...the Bills and Orioles will be on at the same time.

Some tvs have screen in screen which would be convenient in times like that.

He could do what the hubby does. Flip back and forth on the channels or watch one game on the tv and set up one on the internet to watch.

Good luck on your teams

Archived