2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

1934 World Series....The Cardinal's Gas-House Gang vs. the Tigers.......Hall-of-Famer Joe Medwick slides hard into 3rd base during game 7. When he goes out to leftfield, Tiger fans take their frustrations out on him by tossing vegetables, bottles, cushions,....whatever they can find. The commisioner of baseball was attending the game and steps in and orders him removed from the field for his own protection, and so play can continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YgODaIxgE (go to 7:20)

Dizzy Dean nearly took himself out of the Series on a play in Game 4. In the fourth inning, he pinch-ran and literally broke up a double play attempt by taking the relay throw in the noggin. The unconscious Dean was rushed to a hospital for observation. He was given a clean bill of health. Legend has it that at least one newspaper the next day featured the headline, "X-ray of Dean's head shows nothing." Dean had recovered from this trauma sufficiently to make his next starting assignment, the very next day. Dizzy was also the last 30 game winner before Denny McClain.

According to The Fireside Book of Baseball by Charles Einstein, in the seventh game Frisch called time and walked over from second base to the mound to tell Dean "If you don't stop clowning around, I'll take you out of the game." Dizzy said, "No you won't." Frisch thought about this a moment. Then he returned to second base.

Mickey Cochrane and Frankie Frisch were both player-managers.

1934 World Series....The Cardinal's Gas-House Gang vs. the Tigers.......Hall-of-Famer Joe Medwick slides hard into 3rd base during game 7. When he goes out to leftfield, Tiger fans take their frustrations out on him by tossing vegetables, bottles, cushions,....whatever they can find. The commisioner of baseball was attending the game and steps in and orders him removed from the field for his own protection, and so play can continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YgODaIxgE (go to 7:20)

Dizzy Dean nearly took himself out of the Series on a play in Game 4. In the fourth inning, he pinch-ran and literally broke up a double play attempt by taking the relay throw in the noggin. The unconscious Dean was rushed to a hospital for observation. He was given a clean bill of health. Legend has it that at least one newspaper the next day featured the headline, "X-ray of Dean's head shows nothing." Dean had recovered from this trauma sufficiently to make his next starting assignment, the very next day. Dizzy was also the last 30 game winner before Denny McClain.

According to The Fireside Book of Baseball by Charles Einstein, in the seventh game Frisch called time and walked over from second base to the mound to tell Dean "If you don't stop clowning around, I'll take you out of the game." Dizzy said, "No you won't." Frisch thought about this a moment. Then he returned to second base.

Mickey Cochrane and Frankie Frisch were both player-managers.

Shows you how much the game has changed. Nice arcticle you wrote on this Bonger. I am counting on your boys to get me some coin tonight. I do not see Denny McClain being matched ever again but who knows? I remember that season. I was 11. It was big talk. So who would you fear more between Cardinals and Giants? I think its about equal, but St Louis may have a little better pitching.

Isnt he something else? He doesnt give a rats ass about the game. He is worried about who he is going to be banging after the game as I have said alll along. What a role model. And an expensive one. He sucked them in almost like Russel did the Raiders. They can pass the crack pipe when this is over and hit on every blonde they lay their eyes on. Ha.

I have never disliked A-Rod the way I do a few others. However, I just think his decision making skills are at a very low level. He seems to do the wrong thing a lot.

He is another million dollar baby that you can never satisfy. Living life in the fast lane and grabbing as many women as he can along the way. He is an example of what a role model should not be. He is with the right team. Unless he defelopes some football skills and wants to play for the Raiders.

A Rod isn't paid to be a 'role model', he's paid to play baseball. Just as a plumber is paid to do his job. It's the parents job to be a 'role model' for the kids. Not A Rod's...or Charles Barkley...or any other athlete/celebrity-types.

I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but all this talk of A Rod reminded me of this post:

Ah, Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing.

And no player in recent memory do fans love to hate more than Alex Rodriguez...A-Rod, A-Roid, A-Choke, and countless other sobriquets and epithets. Sure, there was Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, but those players at least played half their careers before becoming villians. In football, people rooted for Ryan Leaf and Brian Bosworth to fail...and they did, barely lasting long enough in the NFL for fans to work up a good hate. They were gone and forgotten within a few years of their being drafted.

Alex Rodriguez, on the other hand, has been an object of the fans(and other players) scorn and derision almost from the beginning. When he fails, it's like the sky is a little bluer, your step is a little lighter, food tastes better and the stock market is up. He's a national panacea.

So, how ironic would it be if his failure is the spark that leads the Yankees to victory over the Orioles? I can't be the only one cheering for Baltimore that wishes Yankee manager didn't have the guts to sit A-Rod down and pinch-hit for him. If he hadn't, Raul Ibanez doesn't win the game for the Yankees and Baltimore is getting ready to host the Detroit Tigers for Game One of the ALCS.

But Joe "Hit the pine A-Rod" Girardi did have the minerals. Now, instead of a sure out in his spot in the lineup, the Orioles will have to contend with someone that can hit...that won't choke. Making this game 5 a little tougher without A Rod in there flailing away.

But I still have faith the Orioles can do it...slay the Yankee beast in Yankee Stadium!

Two of my picks have come thru(Detroit and San Francisco)...time for the other two. GO BALTIMORE! GO WASHINGTON!

On another note...isn't it refreshing to watch baseball in the day? Isn't it fun to sneak a peek at work or during school? Baseball is a summer game, a game for daylight. Not the chill of night with players in ski masks and icicles dripping from their nose.

I'm not the only one who feels this way...Bill Plaschke wrote this piece in today's L.A. Times:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-72851559/

A Rod isn't paid to be a 'role model', he's paid to play baseball. Just as a plumber is paid to do his job. It's the parents job to be a 'role model' for the kids. Not A Rod's...or Charles Barkley...or any other athlete/celebrity-types.

I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but all this talk of A Rod reminded me of this post:

That may be true off the field, but not on. I can tell you without a doubt that if a Tiger pulled that stunt in front of Leyland in the dugout it would be their ass. Just ask Barry Bonds

I'm not ready to throw dirt on the Yankees just yet. Remember, the Reds were up 2-0 and only had 1 game to win & how did that work out. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Well they are not hitting for one thing. What makes you think they have any edge against the likes of Verlander? Ill put my money on the Tigers and wont break a sweat doing it.

Well they are not hitting for one thing. What makes you think they have any edge against the likes of Verlander? Ill put my money on the Tigers and wont break a sweat doing it.

Well of course a compulsive gambler such as yourself has no trouble putting your money down. :P But seriously, I understand that Verlander has been nails this postseason and that the Yankees couldn't hit a beachball the first 2 games, but how long can you hold that offense down is my question. Like I said, I won't start tapdancing until the Tigers have clinched the last out in the fourth and deciding victory.

Well of course a compulsive gambler such as yourself has no trouble putting your money down. :P But seriously, I understand that Verlander has been nails this postseason and that the Yankees couldn't hit a beachball the first 2 games, but how long can you hold that offense down is my question. Like I said, I won't start tapdancing until the Tigers have clinched the last out in the fourth and deciding victory.

I do not bet crazy. I am a very controlled better. Small time for fun. And I have been pretty hot in baseball and basketball but know football is a losing battle pretty much. I think football is the toughest sport to bet on.

We don't want to board a plane. We don't want to go back there. It's time to beat the Yankees best and put this thing away with an exclamation point.

Isnt it 2-3-2 format? If so you have two chances to put them away. but what difference does it make? They are not capable of coming back from 3-0 with the way they are not hitting and a limited staff. They are toast. its just amazing Detroit almost blew their chance to even make it. Chicago had them for most of the year. I hate to say it but the Natioonal league may be a step ahead these days? They have won the last two. I would not be confident of who will win the series between Detroit and either opponent.

Archived