2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

Are you kidding me? How could this hurt Detroit? They get to set their pitching rotation exactly how they want, get their bullpen rested, as well as any players that had any lingering or nagging aches and pains.

All I know is the '06 Tigers had a similar layoff and looked how that turned out, plus the '07 Colorado Rockies who were the hottest team in baseball going into the playoffs, had an 8 day layoff before the World Series, then got swept. I'm just saying, even though I like the Tigers chances in game 1 with a fresh and rested Verlander on the mound. We'll see come Wednesday.

All I know is the '06 Tigers had a similar layoff and looked how that turned out, plus the '07 Colorado Rockies who were the hottest team in baseball going into the playoffs, had an 8 day layoff before the World Series, then got swept. I'm just saying, even though I like the Tigers chances in game 1 with a fresh and rested Verlander on the mound. We'll see come Wednesday.

Certainly its a huge advantage for Detroit in game 1. Going against a team that just fought threw a 7 game series and who knows how deep in the pen the winner will have to go? Verlander wins game one if I am betting on the damn game

Cardinals are having a meltdown in this 3rd inning. It's 5-0 with bases loaded, nobody out.

Ooops make that 6-0!

Go Giants!

I'd say it's looking good, but from personal experience with the Cards, I won't...

7-0...that's a GIANT hole to climb out of for St. Louis. But it is still relatively early...that's the only positive if you're a Cardinal fan.

It'll be interesting to see how the TV ratings compare for this game and MNF. I'm sure the football game will beat the baseball game, but being a Game 7, it might be closer than usual.

Well, at least the ratings would have been closer if the Giants hadn't taken this 7-0 lead. Now I think the MNF game ratings will be sizably bigger as more people switch from the blowout baseball game to the Bears-Lions.

One thing in baseball's favour...the game is on regular broadcast TV(Fox), while the MNF game is on cable(ESPN)...less households get ESPN than Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC.

7-0...that's a GIANT hole to climb out of for St. Louis. But it is still relatively early...that's the only positive if you're a Cardinal fan.

It'll be interesting to see how the TV ratings compare for this game and MNF. I'm sure the football game will beat the baseball game, but being a Game 7, it might be closer than usual.

Well, at least the ratings would have been closer if the Giants hadn't taken this 7-0 lead. Now I think the MNF game ratings will be sizably bigger as more people switch from the blowout baseball game to the Bears-Lions.

One thing in baseball's favour...the game is on regular broadcast TV(Fox), while the MNF game is on cable(ESPN)...less households get ESPN than Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC.

I think that most of the viewing audience in this day and age have either cable or satellite. Most that do not are probably the type that could care less if they saw it or not anyway? I know you typed this early in the game Strider. Now we know who the teams are, are you going to side with the California team? I would expect some of these games to be absolute slugfests. I mean, a couple could be 12-11 type games? After Verlander goes or if they are able to chase him. for Detroit's sake I hope not. I am for the Tigers in this series all the way. Now that I think of it my guess is you may be too as the Dodgers and Giants cant like each other much? But you are an Angels fan and not Dodgers right? Of course the Dodgers have a storied history perhaps second only to the Yankees? I was wrong the last two years as I believed Texas would prevail. I believed the American league was a bit tougher and disregarded those All Star games. By the way, I do not remember so enlighten me as to who won this years All Star game? I believe it was the National league which would mean it would open in San fran? Not sure. Ill stick my neck out and pick the Tigers in 7.

Rick, I want the Tigers! I only was rooting for the Giants because I'm tired of the Cardinals being in the Series, just like the Yankees. Get some new blood in there.

And while I am an Angel fan more than a Dodger fan, I still have lived in L.A. for the past 27 years and it's hard not to have the Dodgers-Giants rivalry rub off on you. Once you see it, you never forget the Juan Marichal incident.

So yes, GO DETROIT!!! That city has suffered the tortures of the damned and they deserve to get a little happiness. Besides, Detroit had better music...I'll take Motown and the Stooges over all those hippy San Francisco bands anyday. "Raw Power" pulverizes the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Starship and Santana.

My prediction, hmmm. The series opens in a National League park, you got Verlander for Game 1. I'm going to say a well rested Detroit in 7. Whoever wins I hope it goes 7, I want to see a great World Series.

Should be good and offensive. And ill go on record right now that next year i am pulling for an Orioles vs Dodgers series. Verlander will have the Tigers favored but not as big as if they were home. How many boats will there be in McCovey cove? Some have left port already no doubt and weighted anchor.

Rick, I want the Tigers! I only was rooting for the Giants because I'm tired of the Cardinals being in the Series, just like the Yankees. Get some new blood in there.

And while I am an Angel fan more than a Dodger fan, I still have lived in L.A. for the past 27 years and it's hard not to have the Dodgers-Giants rivalry rub off on you. Once you see it, you never forget the Juan Marichal incident.

So yes, GO DETROIT!!! That city has suffered the tortures of the damned and they deserve to get a little happiness. Besides, Detroit had better music...I'll take Motown and the Stooges over all those hippy San Francisco bands anyday. "Raw Power" pulverizes the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Starship and Santana.

Sorry, I believe I posted at the same time you did. So bump this post if you wish. We all want the Tigers so far. Thats a first

OK Bongman. What say ye? Tigers in 7? 6? Will they get it done? No home field. I do not remember if these two met? I doubt it. Ill look it up but I do not believe they played that division? Its going to be interesting, especially when Verlander is not going.

Edited. I looked it up. They have not met. They played St Louis and beat them 2 of 3. For what its worth.

Rain could play a factor. It started raining buckets last night and more rain is forecast sporadically the next few days in California. If rain postpones Game 1 or 2, that will help the Giants pitching staff.

Paul, when I was saying a rest would do the Tigers good, I was talking about the 4 or 5 days rest that they were getting from the end of the Yankee series to Game 1 of the WS. That 8 day break the Rockies got was an anomaly and definitely hurt their competitive edge...they were rusty.

That's why Detroit has to hope the rain doesn't postpone any games and prolong their period of inactivity.

Trivia: These two teams have never met in a WS.

Not even when they were the NYGiants? I do not know if the Giants left NY before the Dodgers? Late 50's for the dodgers. I believe Verlander must win game one on the road. Or it will make things tough on Detroit. We will find out just where the american league stands now. After the last two series going to the Cards and these Giants. Detroit has better pitching than Texas did.

'Appetite for Destruction'...! Aw, man, I loved that album!

Every word of every song, ever beat of every bar, every note of every solo, I knew it all off by heart

I've got the original vinyl with the original cover somewhere. The one with the attacked woman on the floor

Archived