2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

My Brewers ain't ever won sh!t... So, yeah, I kinda know what you mean, understand where you're coming from

I think it was 2006, St Louis beat the Tigers 4-1. I managed to turn my buddy Ains into a baseball fan watching that Series. Now he's probably the biggest Cardinals fan outside of Missouri

My Dad was from St. Louis and was a Cards fan, so if the Cards had made it I would have rooted for them. My Dad also saw Babe Ruth play. :^)

My Dad was from St. Louis and was a Cards fan, so if the Cards had made it I would have rooted for them. My Dad also saw Babe Ruth play. :^)

Now THAT is something special...that is something to crow about! How lucky you are to have had a dad that can tell you first-hand about seeing The Babe, redrum.

Your dad rocks! :yourock:

Your 2012 Gold Glove winners (not sure about the absence of the Pitcher position...is that announced separately for some reason? - ETA looks like I just got there a bit early :) ):

American League

C: Matt Wieters, BAL (2nd award)

1B: Mark Teixeira, NYY (5)

2B: Robinson Cano, NYY (2)

3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX (4)

SS: J.J. Hardy, BAL (1)

LF: Alex Gordon, KC (2)

CF: Adam Jones, BAL (2)

RF: Josh Reddick, OAK (1)

P: Tie: Jeremy Hellickson, TB (1); Jake Peavy, CWS (1)

National League

C: Yadier Molina, STL (5)

1B: Adam LaRoche, WAS (1)

2B: Darwin Barney, CHC (1)

3B: Chase Headley, SD (1)

SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI (4)

LF: Carlos Gonzalez, COL (2)

CF: Andrew McCutchen, PIT (1)

RF: Jason Heyward, ATL (1)

P: Mark Buehrle, MIA (4)

Your 2012 Gold Glove winners (not sure about the absence of the Pitcher position...is that announced separately for some reason? - ETA looks like I just got there a bit early :) ):

American League

C: Matt Wieters, BAL (2nd award)

1B: Mark Teixeira, NYY (5)

2B: Robinson Cano, NYY (2)

3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX (4)

SS: J.J. Hardy, BAL (1)

LF: Alex Gordon, KC (2)

CF: Adam Jones, BAL (2)

RF: Josh Reddick, OAK (1)

P: Tie: Jeremy Hellickson, TB (1); Jake Peavy, CWS (1)

National League

C: Yadier Molina, STL (5)

1B: Adam LaRoche, WAS (1)

2B: Darwin Barney, CHC (1)

3B: Chase Headley, SD (1)

SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI (4)

LF: Carlos Gonzalez, COL (2)

CF: Andrew McCutchen, PIT (1)

RF: Jason Heyward, ATL (1)

P: Mark Buehrle, MIA (4)

Three Orioles!!!!!!!! Love that

No gold glove for Mike Trout, that's interesting. I wonder what Strider thinks about that?

:mad:

But Trout is young and he'll have plenty of opportunities to win a GG in the future. If he doesn't win Rookie of the Year, then I'll really be pissed.

This will probably be my last baseball post of the year, barring some blockbuster move during the offseason...like A-Rod being sent to Baltimore. The Angels have some decisions to make regarding Dan Haren, Ervin Santana and Torii Hunter. Zach Greinke will probably stay an Angel...but at what cost?

Anyway, it is kind of weird that I probably posted more on this baseball thread this season than any other time, because I hardly watched any of the playoff and World Series games. Apparently I wasn't alone, as this year's WS was the lowest rated and least watched in television history.

But I've come to enjoy our little discussions here with Rick, ebk, redrum, Black Dawg, Walter, jabe, and the others. And there's none of the hooligan mookiness you get at most of the Sports message boards these days.

Next year ought to be interesting. Let the countdown to Spring begin.

I'm no baseball expert...but L.A. Times baseball writer Bill Shaikin is; his column are always informative and incisive. His column today was no exception as it zeroed in on how the Giants front office excelled in putting their roster together...especially in comparison to the way the Dodgers went about throwing their money around.

What is particularly noteworthy and every team should take note, is how Bill recognizes that it's often a team's middle relief that spells the difference between victory and defeat. Also of note is how the Pittsburgh Pirates drafted ahead of the SF Giants in the years that the Giants drafted Posey, Bumgarner, Lincecum and Cain in the first round. Wait until you see who the Pirates drafted before those guys. Here's the story:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73097788/

Now I turn my attention to football and basketball.

Man, three birds (Orioles) out of 8 field positions for gold gloves!!!! love it!!!! A sign that we are not going to go away anytime soon. Boston can sit in the basement for a couple of years. I think they are going to be there next year for sure. Even with Ortiz. I love our pitching staff. Miguel Gonzalez could be our ace. The talk is about this kid Bundy. But Gonzalez is a proven arm already. Tillman, Hammel, Chen and Saunders are not too shabby either. I have not been this excited in a long long time. Now like Strider has said, we turn to basketball and for me, hopefully Hockey soon. I am so disgusted with that.

Now THAT is something special...that is something to crow about! How lucky you are to have had a dad that can tell you first-hand about seeing The Babe, redrum.

Your dad rocks! :yourock:

It's pretty amazing to think about. My Dad passed away in 1991 at age 83. He loved to play guitar too. We put some Cardinals items in his coffin.

I wish my parents were both alive now so I could talk to them about their lives. You never seem to do that when they're living.

I was watching the Giants celebration in SF and what a crowd (1 million plus). Kinda good to see the old hometown again. :^)

I'm very proud of the Tigers' season. We beat the Yankees again. That was sweet ! I think the Giants were on a roll, and the long break killed us.....and I don't say that to take anything away from their efforts. Two out of three ain't a fluke. I got to watch a triple crown season from the Venezuelan Babe Ruth....as a fan, you can't ask for much more than that.

Leyland will be back. You wouldn't believe the local heat this guy took during the season. I never bought into it for one second. He's a great manager, and especially knows how to run a clubhouse. We dumped Delmon Young and Velverde quickly. With Victor Martinez' return, and the emergence of Avisial Garcia, there's no room. Peralta will be back at short, and I don't know how the Tigers can justify that. I hate to be cruel, but anyone who knows a lick about baseball can tell he's a defensive liability.

People are already saying we'll be back. I'm not buying it. I heard that in '68 and '84.....yet it was years....a generation. I'm 2-2 in my lifetime. I'll take it.

I'm very proud of the Tigers' season. We beat the Yankees again. That was sweet ! I think the Giants were on a roll, and the long break killed us.....and I don't say that to take anything away from their efforts. Two out of three ain't a fluke. I got to watch a triple crown season from the Venezuelan Babe Ruth....as a fan, you can't ask for much more than that.

Leyland will be back. You wouldn't believe the local heat this guy took during the season. I never bought into it for one second. He's a great manager, and especially knows how to run a clubhouse. We dumped Delmon Young and Velverde quickly. With Victor Martinez' return, and the emergence of Avisial Garcia, there's no room. Peralta will be back at short, and I don't know how the Tigers can justify that. I hate to be cruel, but anyone who knows a lick about baseball can tell he's a defensive liability.

People are already saying we'll be back. I'm not buying it. I heard that in '68 and '84.....yet it was years....a generation. I'm 2-2 in my lifetime. I'll take it.

I am sure you will live to see the Tigers in the series again Bonger. Just dont think its going to be next year. But Im not saying it cant be either. You guys have as good a shot as anyone. But so do my Birds

Bong-Man, I like your attitude.

Strider, I read that the Harren trade fell though with the Cubs and Harren is now a free agent. Some rumours on Boston airwaves today that Sox are interested in him. (Edited to add the RS rumours).

If he doesn't, we'll find out quickly. I don't he would come back if he didn't think he could contribute. Not about the money with him, he just wants to sure up the end relief - IMO. At 42 and missing most of '12, it's anyone's guess. Just glad his last moment isn't getting carried off on a stretcher before a ballgame.

If he doesn't, we'll find out quickly. I don't he would come back if he didn't think he could contribute. Not about the money with him, he just wants to sure up the end relief - IMO. At 42 and missing most of '12, it's anyone's guess. Just glad his last moment isn't getting carried off on a stretcher before a ballgame.

I hope his first five pitches wind up in the cheap seats. Cant stand his ass

I hope his first five pitches wind up in the cheap seats. Cant stand his ass

So you just hate success, I'm gathering. Rivera has never done anything to disgrace the game. Just has been the greatest closer in the history of the game!

So you just hate success, I'm gathering. Rivera has never done anything to disgrace the game. Just has been the greatest closer in the history of the game!

Agreed. I'm no Yankee fan but there is no doubt that Mariano Rivera has been nothing less than the greatest closer in the game, a sterling competitor and honourable sportsman. A credit to both the Yankees and the sport of baseball, every other team in MLB would give up their nuts to have had him on their roster.

To wish him ill at this stage is just petty Yankee-hatred.

First ballot Hall of Famer all the way.

Man, why is it taking baseball soooo long to announce the Cy Young and MVPs? Get on with it, already! Sheesh.

Agreed. I'm no Yankee fan but there is no doubt that Mariano Rivera has been nothing less than the greatest closer in the game, a sterling competitor and honourable sportsman. A credit to both the Yankees and the sport of baseball, every other team in MLB would give up their nuts to have had him on their roster.

To wish him ill at this stage is just petty Yankee-hatred.

First ballot Hall of Famer all the way.

Man, why is it taking baseball soooo long to announce the Cy Young and MVPs? Get on with it, already! Sheesh.

He will not be what he once was. I cant see it. He will be good but not great. I say the O's can win the East next year.

I respected him and liked him well enough before one very special day at Fenway. I was fortunate enough to have tickets to Opening Day in 2005 when the Red Sox were finally able to raise the championship banner after the 86 year drought.

As you may recall, Mariano had some issues in the final games of the 2004 ALCS. When the NY team was introduced, the Sox fans gave Mariano a long and loud (sarcastic) ovation. He laughed and tipped his cap. He completely won me over that day. Bunch of other Pinstripes did that day as well.

Archived