The Three Stooges

DAS

I had to share this. I was going to post it in the Make Me Laugh thread but it's so good it deserves it's own thread. This is the best movie they (or anyone else) has ever made!

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about the new movie coming out on April 13th, which I have no intentions of going to see. :thumbdown:

At any rate, you're right DAS, Malice In The Palace is one of the stooges best. I think my favorite bit starts at 2:30 when Shemp does the old hand waving gesture & makes Moe conk his head on the floor. LOL!

As a fellow Stooges fan I also have no desire whatsoever to see the new movie. I'd probably be thrown out of the theater anyways for complaining at the screen. lol

• 1 year later...

I prefer the Marx Brothers. Give me A day at the Races over the 3 stooges films anyday.

Now this is classic.

http://youtu.be/RviRADnyFPs

Me too, but they're 2 very different things..

Most 3 Stooges shorts are good, very funny and quick.. Their feature films were terrible.

I love bits and pcs of most Marx Brothers features..

But, sitting through a whole feature film by them takes some commitment.

With The Stooges, you're in and out in 20 minutes.

Me too, but they're 2 very different things..

Most 3 Stooges shorts are good, very funny and quick.. Their feature films were terrible.

I love bits and pcs of most Marx Brothers features..

But, sitting through a whole feature film by them takes some commitment.

With The Stooges, you're in and out in 20 minutes.

I guess i have the commitment for the marx brothers. You are right about the shorter stooges films. Theres only so much stupidity and slapstick you can take in a feature length film.

The Three Stooges feature films from 1959-60s are a mixed bag. A few I would call terrible, a few I would say are pretty good, but they don't compare to the short films that made them legends. It's fun to think what could have been if Columbia would've allowed the stooges to make starring features when they were in their prime with Curly or Shemp.

Under those circumstances, I think they would have made a few classics....

I guess i have the commitment for the marx brothers. You are right about the shorter stooges films. Theres only so much stupidity and slapstick you can take in a feature length film.

The Marx Brothers movies to me usually follow this format ...

A classic bit.. then a Chico piano solo for 5-10 minutes..

Then 5 minutes later another great bit, then Groucho sings for a few minutes...

Then 5 minutes later another great bit .... then a Harpo harp solo for 5-10 minutes..

I do love them, think they were brilliant and that their comedy has aged well ... much better than Abbott and Costello have..

But it's hard for me to get through a feature film of theirs in one sitting.

The Stooges are "lowbrow" and slapstick.. and that's why they were great..

They were the warm up act for the feature film... like watching a Warner Brothers cartoon before the main feature..

One thing that's pretty sobering is when you're watching a 3 Stooges episode with Joe Besser as the 3rd Stooge (which were for the most part awful) Curly and Shemp Howard are both deceased.

Archived