LZ songs just you don't like...

DragonTelecaster

"In The Light" by far........"Hats Off" is a million times better than this....i am really suprised that no one mentioned above in the light .....a weird and scary song for me....i always skip it

The intro actually of "In The light" reminds me arabic music <_< ..............

WTF!?! This has to be one of the stranger and puzzling judgments on a song yet posted here.

The surprise, LiveWire, isn't that other people haven't expressed their dislike for "In the Light"...it's that you have. As Ricky Ricardo would say: You got some explaining to do!

Especially that last comment of yours.

WTF!?! This has to be one of the stranger and puzzling judgments on a song yet posted here.

The surprise, LiveWire, isn't that other people haven't expressed their dislike for "In the Light"...it's that you have. As Ricky Ricardo would say: You got some explaining to do!

Especially that last comment of yours.

Well i am really sorry if you were offensed by my selection but,,,i think PG has a lot better stuff to show apart from In the Light....It's actually a good song but sounds a bit creppy for me especially till 3:00, i mean that i prefer Hats Off because it's a heavy bluesy song with a lot of meaning an passion....On the other side In the Light is something more psychedelic and different from the whole album....who knows...maybe i will get used to it ^_^

P.S when i hear people saying they don't like Dyer Maker or Boogie with Stew i get real mad...

Don't be mad not liking D'yer Maker in comparison to other LZ songs isnt the same as not liking it at all. I like em all and interestingly never had strong feelings about Carouselambra til I realized what it was about. Then I heard it in a whole new light

this is one of the most thought provoking and meaningful posts I have read on anything, thank you Strider.

If the measuring stick is which songs did I reach for the >> button on the cassette player to skip to the next song it was initially

Dancing Days

Candy Store Rock

D'yer M'yer

> button to get to the guitar solos on:

Living Loving Maid

Hot Dog I had no appreciation for until I tried to play it as a cover and dear lord mother of aunt besty it was a t-total beeeyatch to get it done proper and get the tone dialed in so it didn't sound like scratch moving all over the groove

I'm Gonna Crawl needed a good kick in the amp. I don't think the band pushed hard enough on ITTOD. The album is comprised of tracks not vetted by live performances beyond rehearsals. On the first few listens, I was not ready for ITTOD to end. Felt like someone went to press early.

I probably played CODA LP a total of five times and have not touched it since, Strider says it best on this. As a side, I think I listen to boots more often than studio, I know I reach for the CDs on HTTWW and reach for Mothership only occasionally.

that I felt didn't fit the mood of an album("Candy Store Rock" for one...I admire the intent but the execution is a bit flabby; lyrically weak and the end just goes on and on), there is only one song in the entire Led Zeppelin studio canon that has me fast forward or skip ahead: Moby Dick from Led Zeppelin II.

I'm sorry, I have nothing against John Bonham...but while I'll endure a drum solo at a concert, I think drum solos on studio albums are a drag. Moby Dick is a perfect case in point: Bonham performed many excellent and inventive Moby Dicks in concert yet the one committed to vinyl is one of the most lackluster ones he ever played.

"Ozone Baby" is another song that gets on my nerves, but since it's on an album, "Coda", that wouldn't have been released under normal circumstances, I give it a pass.

Moby Dick? Now I am mad...no not really...interesting choice...I only noticed recently there is a vocal song on BBC sessions that MD borrows from......or maybe its just my ears- In The Light great song from my favorite album...it kind of is like being shrouded in darkmess and finding hope ...excatly what I guess the lyrics are saying...As for Coda Poor Tom is one of my favorites along with the added bonus trax...I listen to it more than In Through...

so I went back and listened to CODA on vinyl since that's the only way I have it...

mental notes upon unsealing it from the collection:

1. the artwork is a little better than I gave it credit for, the smell of the record is still brand new-ish

2. the fold/seam crunched like it was the first time as I opened it up.

Listened to it- felt like I was listening to some near finished demo work. Drums were bustin' tho. Really snappy in places. That was worth hearing.

Probably won't ever unseal the LP again.

...As for Coda Poor Tom is one of my favorites along with the added bonus trax...

Umm, for me there's probably really only one song I actively dislike, and that's D'yer Maker. There's a bunch that I think are kind of ordinary, and they are:

Your Time Is Gonna Come (chorus is not exactly inventive)

I Can't Quit You Baby (not a classic blues)

Thank You (very much of its time)

Moby Dick (don't need drum solos on studio albums, despite the great riff that starts and ends the piece)

The Crunge (fun, but throw-away)

Dancing Days (I find the riff a bit monotonous)

The Ocean (really annoying, as I LOVE most of the song, but find the doo-wop stuff tacked on the end a bit lazy and deflating)

Down By The Seaside (pretty twee, although I love the middle section)

Boogie With Stu (throwaway)

Tea For One (a bit tedious, but has it's moments)

Poor Tom (not much of a song, more of a groove)

South Bound Saurez (throwaway, and doesn't really sound much like a Zep song to me)

Fool In The Rain (not bad and quite inventive, but it goes on way too long)

Hot Dog (throwaway, with a sloppy solo)

Darlene (fun, but not exactly essential)

Then there's the stuff where not only are the songs a bit ordinary, but I can't stand the production! They are:

In The Evening (the synth sound is horribly dated; Page's riff sounds tired and monotonous; it goes on too long, and the vocals are produced and mixed in such a way that you can barely understand a word)

Carouselambra (once again, the synth sounds are so much "of their time", and Robert's vocals are so submerged it's ridiculous. Also goes on too long)

All My Love (very "pop", but again it's the synth sounds that don't float my boat)

I'm Gonna Crawl (great solo, but apart from the Mantovani bit at the beginning - those bloody sythns again! - it just sounds tired)

Walter's Walk (awful production, and not much of a song. It doesn't matter if the drums were recorded in Headly Grange and sound huge - you've still got to have a song. The vocals are hard to make out, too. Glad they turned part of this into Hots On For Nowhere)

Bonzo's Montreaz (as in Moby Dick, we don't need drum solos on studio albums. And this one doesn't even have a great riff at the beginning and end. Skip!)

Ozone Baby (not much of a song, and the vocals are annoying)

Wearing and Tearing (their most overrated outtake? The riff, with it's major, rather than minor, notes is hardly breathtaking. To me this is all noise and bluster - a million miles from their best)

After all that, I think everything else in their catalogue is fantastic. Sure, we've all OD'd on the radio staples like Whole Lotta Love, Rock'n'Roll etc, but that doesn't mean that these aren't landmark songs, performances and recordings.

Andrew

So well around 25% you don't like. That's a lot.

Hot Dog is number one on the I can't listen to it list. Tied for number 2&3 are Livin' Lovin' Maid and Stairway to Heaven simply because my local radio station has played them out so much I can't bear to listen to them for the zillionth time each, gawd.

And just how often have Zeppelin gotten together since they broke up in 1980? Not Zep but Page & Plant have played tunes from In Through the Out Door haven't they? I know they've at least done "In the Evening".

In the evening stills blows me away every time i listen to it. Everything about it is awesome, the lyrics, vocal handling, drums, guitar everything. I can still remember being blown away the first time that cassette popped in my cheap stereo that christmas. I get that feeling just about every time i hear it... still.

I just can't believe anyone is listing You Shook Me.

Don't be mad not liking D'yer Maker in comparison to other LZ songs isnt the same as not liking it at all. I like em all and interestingly never had strong feelings about Carouselambra til I realized what it was about. Then I heard it in a whole new light

What is it about?

partially anyway about Robert's tragedy of losing his son with a reference to JPJ and Jimmy not going to the funeral in there...now someone tell me what the song-not the title -D'Yer Maker is about...no just kidding its repeated a few dozen times in the song Really it was FM radio that killed that for me...I love Black Dog but have a tough time listening to it for same reason...."Classic" rock stations that have a repertoire of about 5 LZ songs have really done an injustice to music in general

partially anyway about Robert's tragedy of losing his son with a reference to JPJ and Jimmy not going to the funeral in there...now someone tell me what the song-not the title -D'Yer Maker is about...no just kidding its repeated a few dozen times in the song Really it was FM radio that killed that for me...I love Black Dog but have a tough time listening to it for same reason...."Classic" rock stations that have a repertoire of about 5 LZ songs have really done an injustice to music in general

'Classic rock radio' is a scourge. I've found that the people I meet who have the healthiest, most wide-ranging, eclectic and intetesting musical tastes and record collections rarely listen to 'classic rock radio'.

I'm Gonna Crawl is the only Led Zeppelin track I do not enjoy. The most boring and uninspired guitar solo by Jimmy Page. It hurts just typing that line about one of my hero's.

That to me is simply an absurdity. I think it's one of his best solos, and most certainly one of the reasons why I think he is just an unusually inspired musician, if hardly the most "technical" guitarist out there (which in any case is a very abstract criterion as technique is so relative to musical style and content).

That to me is simply an absurdity. I think it's one of his best solos, and most certainly one of the reasons why I think he is just an unusually inspired musician, if hardly the most "technical" guitarist out there (which in any case is a very abstract criterion as technique is so relative to musical style and content).

Agreed. But don't worry Otto...I think that guy was just trolling for a response; better to ignore him.

Archived