Alabama Shakes

Jahfin

I'm pretty sure their entire current tour is sold out. Pretty impressive for a band most of us had never even heard of a year ago at this time.

For those that may have missed it, NPR did a piece on them this afternoon during All Things Considered. It was neat to hear them talk about some of the artists they would cover in clubs, like going from Sabbath to Otis Redding, for instance.

I'm pretty sure their entire current tour is sold out. Pretty impressive for a band most of us had never even heard of a year ago at this time.

For those that may have missed it, NPR did a piece on them this afternoon during All Things Considered. It was neat to hear them talk about some of the artists they would cover in clubs, like going from Sabbath to Otis Redding, for instance.

I heard that - twice - this afternoon. I knew it would be posted here tonight :)

Enjoyed the piece a lot. I also listened to the album on the NPR music First Listen. I liked it. I'm considering purchasing...

I always figured Athens, Alabama had to be good for something, even if I didn't know what it was. Now I know.

Very cool of the Shakes to take their fellow Alabamians, Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires out on the road with them on their current tour. For those that aren't familiar with Lee, he is also in a band called The Dexateens. Matt Patton from that band is presently filling the bass spot on the current Drive-By Truckers tour. Looks like Alabama could be primed to be the next musical hotspot (again).

• 2 months later...

A few days ago, I was finally able to purchase their cd "Boys and Girls'. It has been sold out at every store I'd visited, but it finally, finally was in stock. (I did get the Itunes download, but I like to get the full CD if it's an album I really like. (I'm really looking forward to seeing them live in concert whenever I can actually get tickets).

• 1 month later...

I'm finally going to give these guys a shake as they are playing here in Los Angeles August 14, one day after Grandaddy plays the same venue, as it happens.

You probably even have a ticket. <_<

Actually, happy for you if you do. One of these days...maybe... *sigh*

You probably even have a ticket. <_<

Actually, happy for you if you do. One of these days...maybe... *sigh*

They're opening for Neil Young in Tuscaloosa, October 25.

Could be one of those days for you, Ms Shadows...

Strider, did you make it to the concert last night?

If you did, how 'bout one of those reviews only you're capable of writing.

As I just posted in the "What's the next concert" thread, I had to shift my Alabama Shakes concert from Tuesday night to tonight. I'll do my best to live up to your expectations regarding a write-up, haha.

post-1470-0-73526300-1345074908_thumb.jp

Sorry guys...I've been out every night this week and the weekend is more of the same. Between work and laundry piling up, I haven't had any time to write up a review post. I'll try to post one this weekend...I've got to go through my photos and figure out which are the good ones and which to delete.

But until then, a brief Cliff Notes version:

Liked the Alabama Shakes a lot and am going to get their album this weekend. The opening band Antibalas was maybe even more amazing...and again, I'll be picking up their new album this weekend.

Two great bands for $25. Not bad!

In short, believe the hype about Alabama Shakes...they are good and worthy of the praise. And a band that must be seen live! See them now before they graduate to bigger, less intimate venues.

Sorry guys...I've been out every night this week and the weekend is more of the same. Between work and laundry piling up, I haven't had any time to write up a review post. I'll try to post one this weekend...I've got to go through my photos and figure out which are the good ones and which to delete.

But until then, a brief Cliff Notes version:

Liked the Alabama Shakes a lot and am going to get their album this weekend. The opening band Antibalas was maybe even more amazing...and again, I'll be picking up their new album this weekend.

Two great bands for $25. Not bad!

In short, believe the hype about Alabama Shakes...they are good and worthy of the praise. And a band that must be seen live! See them now before they graduate to bigger, less intimate venues.

Thanks for your report and as I said in another thread, I couldn't agree more that they're best seen live.

Thanks Strider!

I honestly had never heard of them until reading Jahfin's posting awhile back. Look forward to your full blown review.

Know in advance you'll make at least one woman in Alabama very happy.

Archived