Do you think the consumption of meat is ethical correct?

Some people eat for performance (athletes). Some people eat for ethics (vegans/vegetarians who do so at least partially for ethical reasons). Many people eat mostly for survival (most of the world's poor, I guess, and on a basic level we all have to eat for survival, although those of us in the Western World have options and can be choosy). I guess I eat a little bit for all of those reasons, especially survival, but I also eat for pleasure.

I think morality should get in the way of pleasure as little as possible. I think life would suck if I could never have some buffalo mozzarella and prosciutto ever again. I love veal and foie gras as well. If you can live without these things, more power to you, but my quality of life would go down if I were forced into a vegan diet.

Human beings might not have wide mouths and huge canines like wolves and big cats, but we are predators and not prey. We developed big brains rather than brawn to get food. We're omnivores and eating meat is natural for us. We can survive on vegetarian diets, but people who eat mainly meat based diets, like Germans and Argentinians can also lead long, healthy lives.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed a fruit and vegetable shop for two years, I still don't particularly like vegetables, so I don't eat them very often.Therefore I eat meat,and I enjoy it and it does have taste, better tahn vegetables which just taste of water, in order to get them to have any taste people tend to smother them with ingredients and flavours , curries and chillies and God knows what goes into some of these vegetarian meals, just to take away the taste of the vegetables. I mean lettuce?????, green crispy or soggy (depending on which one)it tastes of nothing, I personally do not put salt or pepper on my foode and I hate it if I go to someones house for a meal and all you can taste is say curry or chillies, having the coating taken off my tongure is not my idea of fun. If someone came to my house and said they were vegetarian thats what they would get a plate of peas, cabbage , sprouts, green beans etc. let's see how they wouldlike that....It's meat for me, and it's my choice.By the way a plant is a living thing....ask all the tree-huggers in the world.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is documented filmed evidence that primates DO eat meat other than insects. I've seen footage of a band of chimps hunting, kuilling and then eating monkeys. I've seen film of chimps and bonobos eating baby impalas and birds. I think we primates are genetically driven to consume meat. We have evolved from scavengers to hunters to hunter/gatherers.....and this hasn't changed. And yes, there are certain amino acids vital to our health that can only be gotten from meat products.

That said, I personally have greatly reduced the amount of meat I eat. Nothing to do with ethics. I've been experimenting with diet and exercise for years and have found that eliminating bread, all fried foods (meat or veggies), processed food and sugar means much less exercise I need to do to stay in shape. I still eat fish, eggs, dairy products (especially cottage cheese for protein), the occasional burger or steak and lots of veggies. I also think that all animals meant for consumption should be treated as humanly as possible before being processed.

Ideally. Some promote using a bow, as it supposedly gives the animal a fair chance. I would imagine that's a lot of intended targets getting away with an arrow stuck somewhere. I'm sure you know some good shots, and maybe even are one - but there has to be some significant percentage that also goes off wounded or needs several attempts to down?

I am terrible at bow hunting so I don't do that, but there are rules for leaving wounded animals. You are supposed to track them and then shoot them, at least that is the ethical thing to do. But I HATE it when we hit deer or turkey and they cause over $1,000 in repair, then I don't care how much they are wounded. (We have probably hit 10 deer and 5 turkey)

I HATE it when we hit deer or turkey and they cause over $1,000 in repair, then I don't care how much they are wounded. (We have probably hit 10 deer and 5 turkey)

Wow, you don't care if you leave an animal hurt, dying and in pain on the side of the road??!!!!

Where I live, animals are a constant problem on our roads and they can cause a lot of accidents and damage to our cars, but even if I hit a bird, I feel incredible guilt at it's pain or death.

No, we don't leave it in pain. We shoot it if we have a gun with us. If not we call the conservation department and they will do something about it. But I don't feel guilty because it wasn't my fault.

You didn't do it directly, but you were in the car that caused the animal to be hit ..... you are therefore responsible for it's pain and or death.

Luckily the animal won't have to suffer too much pain though, as the conservation department will come do something about it ..... in a few hours or so.

Must be comforting to that dying animal in agony :rolleyes:

You didn't do it directly, but you were in the car that caused the animal to be hit ..... you are therefore responsible for it's pain and or death.

Luckily the animal won't have to suffer too much pain though, as the conservation department will come do something about it ..... in a few hours or so.

Wow...I can't even drive in a car without being accused of murder. We have hit 10, but we have swerved to hit squirrels, frogs, birds, deer, turkey, armadillo, raccoons, the list could go on. It is not our fault that the deer have hit us, they are stupid; animals tend to be...

Did you tell your daughter this story?

Did you tell your daughter this story?

Yeah, I am sounding like Veghead, aren't I .... haha.

my dad kills almost every animal that comes on our land except dogs and cats.

Wow...I can't even drive in a car without being accused of murder. We have hit 10, but we have swerved to hit squirrels, frogs, birds, deer, turkey, armadillo, raccoons, the list could go on. It is not our fault that the deer have hit us, they are stupid; animals tend to be...

No one is accusing you of murder, but animals are God's creatures, so it surprises me that someone who is prepared to die a martyr for their religious beliefs, would so callously dismiss one of God's creations, or not even have the joy of their beauty around their home.

I believe you should not kill anything you are not going to eat. Shooting a deer or a turkey for food is ok. Humanely killing livestock is ok if you are not going to waste the meat. Fish is not included in this? Jesus himself ate fish as we well know. I rarely eat red meat any more. I can live without it and intend to live without it. I eat it only if others are having it and I have no choice, but I have stopped buying red meat. Fish I could eat every day. And rice and cereal, almond milk and must have my chocolate in moderation. The only meat I would truly miss is Turkey. My favorite. I would take a Thanksgiving Turkey dinner over pretty much any meal on Earth. Fish is right there too especially alaskan Halibut and Salmon.

I've been hunting since I was 9 years old (pheasant/quail/dove/rabbit/squirrel/deer). I was always taught never to shoot anything unless you would eat it. I also trapped animals growing up - it was the only way a kid in middle school in my town could make money (I had to buy my own clothes and stuff for school) and there were farmers that had nuisance animals that needed to go. In high school and college I worked part-time at a beef processing plant to pay for college. So I have experience with "processed farm animals" as well as harvesting game animals. Finally, my career took me to assisting in wildlife conservation - which I am sure the vegans on her will have a fit over ethically.

The idea that "bow hunting is better because it gives the animal a chance" or is "more fair" is absurd! The goal is to kill the animal as quickly and humanly as possible. An arrow in a deer - even a perfectly placed one - means the animal slowly either bleeds to death or dies of shock. It is much better for a well placed bullet to the head or heart as Victoria7 pointed out!

At the slaughterhouse, the animals were actually treated quite well. Never saw any abuse while they were in the pens waiting for their turn. The pens were cleaned every day and they had water for the hours they had to wait. Yes, they are herded together into pens, only later to be herded into a shoot where they go single file into a cage where a guy uses an air gun that drives a 4 inch spike into their brain. The bull/cow usually dies right away, if not, it dies soon after as the next step it to slit it's throat. Don't mean to be gross...just honest. And believe me, EVERY part of the animal is used...blood is saved for blood sausage, chemical and pharmecutical companies. The brain, entrails, stomach - all usable parts in food or industry. Even the uneaten food in the stomach goes to make fertilizer!

Having traveled all over the world helping with animal conservation, I changed my mind about "sport hunting" - that is, killing animals not just for food, but for a trophy. There are many areas in the world where the amount of land and natural resources is so limited that it will support only "X" numbers of a species (let's say elephants). As the population of eles in this area grows only one of three things can happen: 1) Mother Nature takes over and excess numbers of elephants will die "naturally" of disease or starvation due to overcrowding, 2) The Park Service or animal charity group pays a small fortune to have the excess animals tranquilized and moved to another park or 3) The Park Service allows hunters to pay a premium to come in and kill some of the excess animals. Believe it or not, Option 3 is usually the best. Why? The rich hunters that pay an incredible anount of money ($30,000 minimum for an elephant) pay that money to the park service. The park service uses a portion of that for the community (to keep them from poaching in the park) as well as to help maintain the park. Also the hunter is only allowed certain parts of the trophy - the tusks, the tail, two feet and the hide. The hunter is not allowed to kill the biggest or healthiest animal - it is usually an elephant that is apst it's prime, injured or no longer breeding. The rest of the animal is given to the surrounding villagers to share. It is THE best way to sustain heathly populations of these animals. The trophy hunter gets the prize he wants without using the black market and poachers. The Park gets much needed fuding to help secure the parka nd care for the animals. The villagers get the meat of the elephant, money from the hunting fees for things like schools and medical care and have a reason to help the park keep the animal population rather than just killing them off for a quick buck. And their are still the ehalthiest animals left to continue the circle of life in the park for tourists with cameras - which can generate a little more revenue for the villagers and park.

Poaching (an illlegal form of hunting) is a whole other matter!

Yes, there are some areas that can sustain their parks simply with tourist dollars photographing the animals (Kenya/Tanzania), but those are rare exceptions. For most of the rest of the world, a carefully monitored game management plan is the best way to ensure healthy populations of all species of animals.

Sorry for the sermon......

Deer, turkey, rabbits, and squirrels. And my dad kills almost every animal that comes on our land except dogs and cats.

12 gauge, .17 mm, .30-06 magnum, or a 9mm handgun. We have more guns but we don't hunt with them.

Nice man, I have only ever seen a gun when I went abroad on holiday. If you don't hunt with them why do you shoot animals apart from dogs and cats?I'm glad I live in the UK.

Archived