Chuck Klosterman On Two of the World's Most Hated Bands: Creed and Nickelback

Jahfin

A Night With the World's Most Hated Bands

We take in a concert doubleheader with Creed and Nickelback

By Chuck Klosterman

The moment you tell people you're seeing Creed and Nickelback in concert — on the same night, at roughly the same time, in two different venues — it suddenly becomes a stunt. Just describing the premise seems schlocky; it's like Def Leppard playing on three different continents in 24 hours, or maybe something David Blaine would attempt if he worked for the Fuse network. The immediate assumption is that this is some type of sonic endurance test, and that no person could possibly enjoy the experience of seeing the most hated (yet popular) rock band of 2001 followed by the most popular (yet hated) rock band of 2012. But this is what I wanted to do: I wanted to see Creed at New York's intimate Beacon Theatre (performing their 1997 album My Own Prison in its entirety), followed by Nickelback in front of 18,000 people at Madison Square Garden.

Last Thursday, this dream was accomplished.

I did not do this because I particularly like or dislike either band. I did it because other people like and dislike them so much.

To read the remainder of the article click here.

I'm not really a fan of Taylor's either but at least she writes her own songs and can actually play an instrument.

Not a fan of her's either - plus the other two bands referred to in this thread - but she is at least a good role model for young girls, carries herself with class and she does write her own material. Respect for that!

Really though, if Nickelback can draw 18,000 at MSG they can't be hated that much, can they?

That's what I've always wondered. For as many people that I know of (both online and off) that supposedly can't stand them I figure some of those folks are not being completely honest.

Really though, if Nickelback can draw 18,000 at MSG they can't be hated that much, can they?

Let's see that's 18,000 in a metropolitan area of over 10 million, not sure that proves anything other than there are at least 18,000 people with bad taste in music in the greater NYC area. Didn't the same area sellout shows for Bon Jovi for the last 25 years also??? To each his own...

I also agree with the rascal flats comment earlier, btw.

Well that assumes that the 10 million in metro NYC are all rock music fans...............

Selling out MSG like that is impressive regardless of who the band is.

I can't explain Bon Jovi either, never could and never willl.

I can't explain Bon Jovi either, never could and never willl.

Around the time of the massive success of Slippery When Wet I heard them described as "Mom Metal" because of their widespread appeal. It was as though they were the acceptable edge of hair metal. I've also heard them described as "Happy Metal" or "Heavy Metal-Lite", all of which I think of as pretty accurate descriptions since they were definitely not very threatening which made them all the more attractive to suburban housewives and teenagers across the U.S. of A. I'm sure around the clock airplay on commercial radio and MTV didn't hurt either.

• 1 month later...

Archived