Lady Gaga

Juliet

• 1 month later...

Lady Gaga rejects $1 million offer to perform at RNC

Lady Gaga once wore a dress made of meat, but apparently even she has her limits. The pop superstar reportedly turned down an offer of $1 million to play at the Republican National Convention. Turns out an independent conservative group - American Action Network - courted Gaga to perform in Tampa, Florida, last summer at an event "honoring women who run for public office." The rejection is probably not much of a surprise, seeing as how Gaga isn't exactly known for her conservative views. But had she taken the offer, she wouldn't be the first celebrity to get a paycheck from a strange ideological bedfellow

Jennifer Lopez reportedly once earned $2 million to sing for a Russian billionaire. Elton John sang at Rush Limbaugh's 2010 wedding, telling "USA Today" they even became friends ("He sends me the loveliest e-mails," the singer said). 50 Cent? You can find him "In Da Club" and and at da bat mitzvah for the daughter of one-time defense contractor David Brooks.

Then there are the indecent proposals - like when Robert Redford offered a million dollars for a night with Demi Moore. Okay, that was a film, but there have been moments with that kind of controversy.

Actress Hillary Swank split with her management team after she appeared at a party for a Chechen leader accused of all kinds of human rights violations. Swank later gave the money to charity. Beyoncé serenaded "All the Single Ladies," and at least one son of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi in 2008. The singer later said she gave all her proceeds - reportedly $1 million - to Haiti earthquake relief. Nelly Furtado and Mariah Carey did similar Gadhafi bashes. In 1996, Michael Jackson did a private party for the Sultan of Brunei. The reported price tag was $16 million.

Posted by John Berman

Filed under: Pop Lead

• 3 months later...

JULY 12, 2013 10:47 AM

Lady Gaga announces ARTPOP release date

By Kyle Anderson

Lady Gaga has been keeping a low profile since February while shes been recovering a torn labrum in her hip, an injury that required surgery and forced her to cancel a number of tour dates. But shes back, and shes got some new stuff in store.

In a wordy Facebook post, Gaga announced that her new album ARTPOP will be out on November 11, with a single coming on August 19. Because its 2013, there will also be an interactive app that will dosomething. Its unclear, though it will be available on September 1, the same day ARTPOP is made available for pre-sale.

Built by TechHAUS, the technological branch of HAUS OF GAGA, the app itself is a musical and visual engineering system that combines music, art, fashion and technology with a new interactive worldwide communitythe auras, Gaga wrote on Facebook. Altering the human experience with social media, we bring ARTculture into POP in a reverse Warholian expedition.

True fact: The Reverse Warholian is actually illegal in Texas and Kentucky.

Gagas last album Born This Way performed well commercially but was met with quite a bit of critical ambivalence. So what do you hope to hear from Gaga on ARTPOP? And are you still invested in her as an artist? Its easy to dismiss her because of things like this, but dont forget that shes also responsible for this.

Edited by Walter

Keeping a low profile? :hysterical: Here she is in her bra out on the streets of NYC this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2361014/Lady-Gaga-steps-just-bra-balmy-New-York--airs-boots-car-window.html

post-14347-0-28871700-1373660887_thumb.j

post-14347-0-26151900-1373660923_thumb.j

JULY 12, 2013 10:47 AM
Lady Gaga announces ARTPOP release date
By Kyle Anderson

Lady Gaga has been keeping a low profile since February while shes been recovering a torn labrum in her hip, an injury that required surgery and forced her to cancel a number of tour dates.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this news:

GAGA TO PERFORM AT THE VMAS!

It's official! Lady Gaga returns to the stage at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards on August 25th for the world premiere performance of the first single from ARTPOP!

Music: Eight Things We Know About Lady Gaga's 'ARTPOP'

Lady Gaga, ''ARTPOP'

BY STEVE KNOPPER

JULY 30, 2013 | 4:55PM EDT

Full Size Image

Courtesy Interscope

Information on Lady Gaga**'s upcoming album ARTPOP is so locked down that only a few tantalizing facts about the LP have dribbled out so far. We know, for instance that there will be an app involved in its release, and that the first single is a song called "Applause." Speaking to Rolling Stone, DJ White Shadow – who co-produced and co-wrote "Applause" – seemed as though he might be suggesting that it's an upbeat, danceable tune. Or maybe not? "I don't know, man!" White Shadow quickly added. "You tap your feet to a ballad. I might tap my feet to 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn.'" Here's what we know for sure about Gaga's latest magnum opus:

1. ARTPOP will be released on November 11th. Before that, we'll get to hear "Applause" on August 19th and see a video shot by photographers Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin.

2. "Applause" is . . . fun! "I'll tell you that it is very fun," Gaga said earlier this year. "And that it's full of happiness, because what I'm saying in the song essentially is that I live for the applause." Adds DJ White Shadow: "It's just a fun song. There's no political commentary . . . I watch people's toes and they tap."

The New Immortals: Lady Gaga**

3. ARTPOP is not just an album. It's an app, too. Gaga helpfully calls the project "a musical and visual engineering system that combines music, art, fashion and technology." (Preorders begin September 1st.)

4. Gaga began working on ARTPOP almost immediately after 2011's Born This Way came out. "It couldn't have been more than a week," DJ White Shadow says, "and she hit me up and said, 'OK, the next album's called ARTPOP, let's go' . . . I was laying on my couch watching 'Judge Judy' or something and trying to chill."

5. Gaga isn't necessarily aiming for a typical radio-friendly sound. "She does not have to please anyone, and she is who she is," Zedd (the German DJ-producer who worked on several ARTPOP tracks) recently told RS. "Whatever is dope is dope. We do whatever we want, and we don't have to make a song that's three minutes and 30 seconds just to fit the radio."

6. Gaga will perform "Applause" at MTV's Video Music Awards on August 25th. "I'm sending a doppelganger," Gaga told Women's Wear Daily. "I'm going this year as a fried egg instead of hard-boiled."

7. ARTPOP is an electronic dance music album . . . or it isn't an electronic dance music album. Definitely one of the two. "We didn't try to make an EDM album – but, at the same time, we didn't try not to make an EDM album," Zedd added.

8. Gaga's rehabilitation from a broken hip helped inspire the album. "I was given the time to really be creative because it's a gazing process, it really is," she said recently. "I have to gaze into the work for long periods of time for it to be good." Adds DJ White Shadow: "She wasn't going to just lay in bed and have a morphine drip and pass out for three months. She was about making the record. She doesn't sit down. She doesn't chill."

• 3 weeks later...

JULIET'S REVIEW OF APPLAUSE.....first single from ARTPOP by LADY GAGA

I saw the video for APPLAUSE....it is a great tune but the video has too many images flying by...

Lady Gaga arrived ar GOOD MORNING AMERICA in a 50's convertible..she had a very natural look..no heavy make-up...nice hair style...wore a white mini dress...all very chic...it was a great interview..she went up on the roof for the showing of the video..she put on a type of mask apparatus...... that wrecked the whole new image for me...

Juliet

• 3 weeks later...

Lady Gaga was on GMA this am performing APPLAUSE with a The Wizard of Oz theme/set.......

She was interviewed after the song..she talked about being much happier now then when she wrote the BORN THIS WAY cd...I can certainly see and hear that in her voice..eyes ..energy and smile..Bravo...Gaga

I look forward to ARTPOP due out 11 11 13....even if the price of gas is still high ..i'll buy the cd ..and drive and/or eat less....junk food!!!!!.

Juliet :bravo:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ARTPOP was amazing!!!! Way better than Born This Way too. I'm wayyyy psyched for SNL this weekend too. Glad to have you back Madam GaGa!

Looking forward to SNL this week also. ARTPOP is growing on me, her voice sounds fantastic - it gets stronger and better with age. She did an amazing version of "Dope" on Howard Stern this past Monday. This disc lends itself to a very theatrical show. Since she had to cancel here, due to injury, I have not heard BTW's songs live, so it'll be interesting to see what her set list is for the tour.

Thanks, ebk, for the link.

:peace:

ARTPOP was amazing!!!! Way better than Born This Way too. I'm wayyyy psyched for SNL this weekend too. Glad to have you back Madam GaGa!

Haven't had a chance to hear anything from the new album other than the lead single. Haven't watched SNL in ages either...I hear there's a new cast of unfunny white people that Lorne Michaels has chosen...I'll have to catch the Gaga bits on YouTube as I'll be at an Edgar Wright thing that night.

Hi Sue:

I see there is a duet with R. Kelly...before I buy the cd can you tell me what that tune is like..I don't really like R. Kelly's voice...is it a ballad or a dance tune?

Hi Sue:

I see there is a duet with R. Kelly...before I buy the cd can you tell me what that tune is like..I don't really like R. Kelly's voice...is it a ballad or a dance tune?

he's not terrible on the song. The track has a sort of '80's vibe to it.