Lady Gaga

Juliet

Walter:

Yes...I have seen the ad for FAME...and the "attachments" on her costume....lol.... http://www.facebook.com/ladygaga

I wonder if there will be a life size poster of the ad in stores...there was a life size poster of Jusitn Bieber in some stores when his cologne, Believe, came out...

Thanks for the picture..but I don't want to see anymore...I hope to see her show if she comes to Toronto..so I want to be surprised by the sets, costumes and tunes she will sing......I need to start saving ...I doubt the tickets will be inexpensive...

I see by her tour schedule she's in Scandanavia now... http://www.ladygaga.com/

Juliet :wave:

Good Morning:

First of all...I need to make a correction...Justin Bieber's cologne is called GIRLFRIEND...his cd is called BELIEVE

AND NOW FOR THE BEST NEWS....Lady Gaga's, FAME, is now available in my smalll town..i walked into a store last eve and the big display is up and ready to go..of course I had to sample the cologne and it's very nice....

Juliet

PS I also found Justin's cologne and sampled it...it's ok.....

Edited by Juliet

Good Morning:

First of all...I need to make a correction...Justin Bieber's cologne is called GIRLFRIEND...his cd is called BELIEVE

AND NOW FOR THE BEST NEWS....Lady Gaga's,.FAME, is now available in my smalll town..i walked into a store last eve and the big display is up and ready to go..of course I had to sample the cologne and it's very nice....

Juliet

PS I also found Justin's cologne and sampled it...it's ok.....

Wifey picked up a bottle for herself, LOVE IT! Smells a bit like the Amarige (sp?), but also has a bit of an "Earthy" scent to it. I think the fragrance is exactly what she would smell like walking down the Red Carpet, or out to dinner. Perfect fit! Plus the packaging is pure Gaga! :thumbsup:

She was GREAT on the Howard Stern show, might be because it was just her and a piano

Absolutely she was! I was like many others and thought she was all show and no substance, until I actually listened to her. First time sitting down a piano playing, then singing acapella and then finally the entire "show". She was fantastic in concert - such stage presence!

Walter:

I have to make another correction...FAME is not available yet in my small Ontario town ...it was just a preview that I saw last eve...it will be available @ Sept 8...I hope they are right...

I'm glad your wife has a bottle of FAME..I agree it has an earthy scent..

J

Edited by Juliet

• 3 weeks later...

Lady Gaga is fantastic. She shakes up the current dribble of pre-packaged, consumer generated mediocrity, and infuses some serious funk and shock. Maybe some of the "corporate" crap artist out there will take notice and jack up their game a bit. Sure, maybe she is too over the top for many, but ya gotta break some eggs if ya wanna make an omelet.

I'll ignore some of the nasty comments....

Hey sales are going well for FAME according to one of Gaga's tweets

It looks like ticket sales for her Toronto show in Feb also went well yesterday.. 'm not even going to ry and get the time off work since it's at the height of winter and I live in a snow belt...too hard to get to TO if it snows and it's -10 ©

J :coffee:

http://www.ladygaga.com

Edited by Juliet

I'm sorry Juliet!

Tix for Tampa go on sale this Friday. Wasn't able to get a presage code because they went in a matter of minutes @ littlemonsters.com. Still planning on getting a pair though, we'll see what we can get!

:)

Walter:;You wrote nothing nasty...no need to apologize...congrats on getting tickets..I'lll have to wait till next tour..her Toronto show is in Feb...I hibernate from October till March...

Juliet :bagoverhead:

Madonna's been pointing out in her concerts on this tour that Lady Gaga borrowed a song -- the Express Yourself/Born This Way controversy. It bugged me that Gaga did that. It's nothing like sampling where you have to get permission and give credit. I mean Gaga made tons of coin from a song that essentially had been done before. Cheeky poke about 3 minutes in:

Now, I don't hate Gaga, nor am I dissing those who like her, but I do think she tries too hard (where does one go after a raw meat dress?). She's talented, so I don't get why she's rehashing. You can make a case that all artists 'borrow', but when it's this blatant, send a cheque.

Madonna borrowed, but she made it her own. Plus she's always looked sexy doing it (again, raw meat dress??) and has stayed relevant for over three decedes. Madge put on a great show in T.O. and while I haven't seen Gaga live, I've no doubt she is good live, too. It's just too bad that she's walking down a path so many find all too familiar.

^^^

You have a point Patrycja. I remember feeling slightly annoyed when I first heard "Born This Way" and noticed the "Express Yourself" similarity; it was too easy and too obvious a person to rip off.

I'm no Lady Gaga hater, either. I'm on the record here plenty of times defending and supporting her. In this case(as in the red meat dress), her instincts failed her.

But I will say this, Patrycja, that as great a career and impact as Madonna has had, she is getting a little long in the tooth for a pop princess. Yes, today's teen girls can and should find inspiration and pleasure in Madonna's music but every generation of kids needs their own pop princess.

Madonna ruled the 80s and 90s and held the fort as long as she could in the 2000s while pretenders to the throne like Britney Spears, Christina A., Miley Cyrus and countless others crashed and burned. But with Lady Gaga, today's kids finally have a decent pop idol again. If she's a little derivative of Madonna at times...well, every female pop star that comes after her is bound to be influenced by the almighty M. She changed practically everything for pop queens.

Plus, Lady Gaga is still young and still early in her career, so there's no telling what the future will bring. At a comparable stage in her career, Madonna was in between her "Like A Virgin" and "True Blue" albums. Career peaks like "Like a Prayer" and "Ray of Light" were years away.

So I'm willing to give Lady Gaga a chance. Having seen her in concert twice, I know she has the voice and the talent to go far.

That's the thing, Strider. Gaga does have the talent to do her own thing and succeed. Yet while borrowing and influence are accepted, the second link shows just how much Gaga has leaned on Madonna. You're right about each generation having it's own pop idol. At the Madonna concert, I saw mostly older generations. Nobody that was under, say, 25. I grew up with Madonna's music when we came to Canada, and though pop isn't my first musical choice, I've always been aware of Madonna's presence even in her less popular years. She's always managed to transcend the music scene (now, of course, it's par for the course to branch out beyond your niche - perfumes, clothing lines, wines, etc., etc. Gone are the days when just dolls and posters expanded your brand).

And are you perhaps an ageist, hmm? I'd love to see what Madonna would do to you if you called her a bit long in the tooth (you'd likely love to see what she'd do to you, too ;)) /jk. I know what you mean, though I thought her concert was very impressive, particularly because she's been at it for so long and still gave a kick ass show. In stilettos. Plus her latest album is fab for the most part. She's actually inspiring for us ladies well beyond our teens :D

It's interesting how in some musical genres (pop, rock) longevity is sometimes viewed as a negative (Elton on Madonna, many others on the Stones) while in other musical genres (classical), musicians are more respected the more seasoned they are.

It'll be interesting to see how Gaga branches out and maintains cultural relevance over time.

Wow..after reading the previous posts by S and P ..I just might come out of hibernation and go to Gaga's TO show,,,I'll see of there is one ticket left....then decide if I'll ask for the time off..then check the current cost of travel by train and/or snowmobile and/or dogsled in case it snows real bad...

GAGA.....GAGA.....RED WINE......OOLA LA...

Try stubhub.com, J, if it's sold out. Some tickets are a little more (some are a lot more), but well worth it if you're a fan. I got to see Them Crooked Vultures through that site. Sorry for winding the convo away from Gaga towards Madge. If you go, have a great time :)