individual albums vs. "complete studio recordings"

Trufan

fell BACK in LOVE with Zep after being COMPLETELY burned out by classic rock radio, a feeling I'm sure some of you can identify with! (looking back, I don't how those DJs got through playing the great STAIRWAY a MILLION times!). dug out the (1st) Led Zep box set and fell in love again. It was like RE-DISCOVERING the band! now, I'm hungry for more! No, I want it ALL!! :)

So my question to all my fellow Zep fans out there is: should I buy the INDIVIDUAL albums or should I save up and buy the "COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS" instead? Supposedly, the individual albums have EXTRAS. Are those extras included in the COMPLETE RECORDINGS?

Also, I understand that Jimmy Page COMPLETELY re-mastered the ENTIRE catalog since its INITIAL release, including since the release of the box set I currently own. How BIG is the difference? As an example, I recently heard the REMASTERED version of the Doors' debut album, and while I appreciate the CLEANED-UP sound, not sure I prefer the REMASTERED version (in which you can hear the word "high" and LIGHT MY FIRE is sped up!)

Thanks for reading. Any/all comments appreciated! Rock on!

The Complete Studio Recordings and Box Set/Box Set Volume 2 are cheaper than buying the albums individually and have enough extra material on them to make up another album. Most notably the songs Traveling Riverside Blues and Hey Hey What Can I Do appear on these two sets but not on the albums.

So my question to all my fellow Zep fans out there is: should I buy the INDIVIDUAL albums or should I save up and buy the "COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS" instead? Supposedly, the individual albums have EXTRAS. Are those extras included in the COMPLETE RECORDINGS?

There are some bonus tracks but they're not part of any of the individual albums other than Coda, which has been expanded to include "Baby, Come On Home", "Travelling Riverside Blues", "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" and "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do". As for the sonic differences, I can't speak to that as I haven't heard The Complete Recordings box. I bought the first two boxes when they came out so I've never really had any need to buy any of the other collections that draw from the original studio albums. The track listings for The Complete Studio Recordings is readily available online at sites such as Amazon.

I went the Complete Studio Recordings route.

I also had box set 1.... which I traded with a friend of mine for Judas Priest Metal Works.. ... I know ... shoot me.

But that shows how happy I was and am with Complete Studio recordings.. I also insisted I keep the booklet from Box set 1

This is the first and only time I sold or traded anything Zeppelin related... well I did give my sister my double of The Song Remains The Same DVD....

The only thing Complete Studio doesn't have is the Bonzo's Montreux / Moby Dick pc that Jimmy Page put together for Box set 1.

Like Jahfin said, all the extras are on the tail end of Coda...which makes it much cooler than the 1982 release.

I'd much rather have the songs in their running orders of the albums anyday... but I loved some of the things Page did with song sequencing on Box set...... BM/MD into I'm Gonna Crawl in particular was real effective.

The complete Studio recordings was also from the same re-master - re-mixes that were used on the Box Sets.

They sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the original studio albums and I have the first bx set on six album vinyl and the second box set on CD, I havent seen the track listings for the complete recordings so I cant comment on that but I found that the only difference between the original to the remastered was that it had been cleaned up, and a few unreleased tracks but not every track from the albums.

There's a little extra on the end of In My Time of Dying. I think it was always on the vinyl records but not on the original cd's. I bought LZ II remastered and then bought Coda, then finally decided it would be cheaper and easier to buy the Complete Studio Recordings, which I did.

• 1 year later...

I have a copy of II that was likely remastered since 69' but also own the Complete Studio Recordings box set and think the copy on the box set is better. Just more powerful and louder bass which is great in tracks like Ramble On, The Lemon Song, heck Jonsey always tore it up on bass!

Archived