Similarity between "LA drone" and "Lucifer rising"

hecube

L.A. Drone is a bowed acoustic in F#, layered by Page and Jones. Lucifer Rising is a mix of instruments, layered bowed guitars. The two uses of the material are complete opposites. L.A. Drone is used to build anticipation, while Lucifer Rising is used to help illustrate the rising of Lucifer.

Upon listening and comparing, I can see some similarities between the sound...but still not enough to connect the two I don't think. LR is only one layer it sounds like, just looped. L.A. Drone sounds like multiple layers. Page certainly has something for bowing guitars....I must say it is quite fun.

L.A. Drone was created before LR yes? It's plausible that Page used the same techniques to build LR.

Apparently jimmypage.com won't allow him to purchase Lucifer Rising in Russia. At least that is what I got out of it with a translator. I wonder why. They have a plethora of other countries they ship to.

The best "drone" effect Page ever used was at the beginning of "In the Evening". It set an extraordinary mood for the song that wasn't equaled since " In the Light" on Physical Graffiti.

The best "drone" effect Page ever used was at the beginning of "In the Evening". It set an extraordinary mood for the song that wasn't equaled since " In the Light" on Physical Graffiti.

Agree. Obviously, given my SN, I think ITE is one of Zep's finest. But the droning effect does set a very nice intro, almost makes you let your guard down, and then you get this huge punch when the song kicks in. I've often thought it was some of their best "heavyness" since Black Dog.

As far as the OP's question goes, I find LR almost impossible to listen to, but I do agree the drones sonically seem very similar.

Archived