RIP Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys.

Wolfman

I never even knew he was ill! :(

I own a few albums and saw them live a couple of times at festivals in the 90s, great shows too.

RIP.

From REMHQ.com:

cms_image_9107.jpg

We've lost one of our greats. A true gentleman with the strongest resolve, humor, and energy to spin the world on its axis...and that is exactly what he did. Let's not forget he did it with panache and style and beats and in various costumes. Even while dressed as a Swiss mountain climber. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Beasties and to Adam's family and fans.

Michael Stipe and R.E.M.

For those that don't know what Stipe is referring to, perhaps some of you remember this moment from the MTV Video Music Awards:

http://youtu.be/MJsecXTJ74M

Very sorry to hear this sad news. The band weren't my gig but the Beasties were a huge influence on both of my son's. RIP

Beyond being a great band in their own right they were huge Zeppelin fans. Beyond "She's Crafty" which samples "The Ocean" & "Stealin' & Rhymin'" which samples "When The Levee Breaks", check out "Resolution Time" the B-side to "Sabotage" which samples "Bonzo's Montreaux" to much greatness as I was floored the first time I heard it 1994. Adam Yauch, you were hysterical & a good man, you will be missed...

When MCA didn't make the HOF ceremony, I kind of prepared myself that the end might be closer than I realized. Still...when I heard the news last night, it hit with a shock.

The Beastie Boys were a giant part of my musical life in the 80s and 90s, so it's going to take some time to process this sad news before I can write anything. The Beasties might have sprung from New York but after recording "Paul's Boutique" in Los Angeles, they were a major presence and cultural force in L.A.

Adam Yauch and the BBs were such a force of life it is hard to think of any of them being gone at such a young age...Adam was two years younger than me.

What a terrible loss. This sucks.

Here's a nice appreciation written by Randall Roberts in today's L.A. TTimes

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/05/an-appreciation-age-wisdom-tamed-beastie-boy-adam-yauch.html

• 3 months later...

Archived