Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
DAS

Did Robert Plant have a religious conversion?

Just wondering because of how much gospel/religious music he seems to be playing lately. He'll being playing at the Gospel and Blues festival and has been in an old fashion gospel style and playing songs like:

In My Time Of Dying

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

Waders In The Water

Oh What A Beautiful City

Down To The River To Pray

Twelve Gates To The City

Goodnight

Valley Of Tears (with a gospel choir)

I know there has always been alot of religious content in his songs but there seems to be alot more than before nowadays.

Edited by DAS

Whatever his religious affiliation is, I'd say that's his business and not ours. As for the song choices, tunes such as "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down" simply fit into the musical scheme of what he's been doing since teaming up with Allison Krauss for Raising Sand in 2007. "Down To the River To Pray" is a natural fit as that's one Allison contributed to the O, Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

Whatever his religious affiliation is, I'd say that's his business and not ours.

If he don't want us to know he should just not say anything and to my knowledge he has not. But if someone had heard something I was curious. I don't want to stick a camera in his bedroom but if he has made something public it's fair game.

I'd say it has nothing to do with religious conversion and everything to do with artistic direction. There's a fair amount of the same on Mighty Rearranger...song such as Dancing In Heaven, Let The Four Winds Blow, etc.

As long as he does not convert to Scientology or Evangelical Christianity and start hanging out with Tom Cruise or Kirk Cameron, it's all good. I could see him and Kirk knocking on Jimmy's door, "Jimmy, it's Robert and Kirk, please let us in. We need to save your soul before the rapture comes and Jesus ass-rapes you for all the Aleister Crowley shit!"

As long as he does not convert to Scientology or Evangelical Christianity and start hanging out with Tom Cruise or Kirk Cameron, it's all good. I could see him and Kirk knocking on Jimmy's door, "Jimmy, it's Robert and Kirk, please let us in. We need to save your soul before the rapture comes and Jesus ass-rapes you for all the Aleister Crowley shit!"

Well if he did convert it would have been to Christianity since he's singing so many christian songs. I personally don't care what he converts to as long as he doesn't start getting all weird like George Harrison and writing goofy songs to some statue or Elephant God or something.

Wouldn't it be amusing if Christianity and other allegedly benevolent organised religions were in fact the work of the Devil, and those who devote themselves to them are unwittingly condemning themselves to an eternity of torment? The earthly indications are certainly not promising...

The earthly indicators for everyone are horrible. Everyone is running around screaming how they know the truth and they are somehow changed or better for it. The truth of the matter is that people are all inconsiderate and selfish jerks. Decorating your own jerkery with religious or scientific talk doesn't change a thing. I've not seen a significant (or any) change overall in the lives of Christians, Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any other kind of people I've known. 99% of people are the same regardless. And it seems the more one talks about how changed they are the more of a average jerk they really are.

I'll also add this applies to politics and anything else that people live by. Being a good person isn't about voting for the right politician or what religion you do or do not belong to. It's about getting out there and helping people.

All I know is Robert has had plently of opportunity to convert to Zeppelinanity but the calling has pushed him over the hills and far away to the blue hills of Kentucky........

51pI-9KLkHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Grindstone

2. Coalminers

3. Wait Up

4. Criminals

5. Shaky Ground

6. Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down

7. Black Eye

8. Moonshiner

9. I Wish My Baby Was Born

10. Atomic Power

11. Lilli Schull

12. Warfare

13. Fatal Wound

14. Sandusky

15. Wipe The Clock

When Uncle Tupelo recorded this album do you think it was a sign that they were making their audience aware of some sort of conversion to Christianity or that it was just representative of some of their musical influences? I say "some" because they were also very obviously influenced by punk rock.

Edited by Jahfin

All I know is Robert has had plently of opportunity to convert to Zeppelinanity but the calling has pushed him over the hills and far away to the blue hills of Kentucky........

Isn't his current band the Sensational Space Shifters? I haven't heard them yet but from the line up I'm guessing they're going to have more in common sonically with Strange Sensation than the Raising Sand or Band of Joy records.

Well if he did convert it would have been to Christianity since he's singing so many christian songs. I personally don't care what he converts to as long as he doesn't start getting all weird like George Harrison and writing goofy songs to some statue or Elephant God or something.

If that's not racist, it's incredibly insensitive to the beautiful religion that is Hinduism.

It's not racism but worshiping, praying to or singing to a statue is stupid. I don't care if it's offensive. It's just stupid.

It's not racism but worshiping, praying to or singing to a statue is stupid. I don't care if it's offensive. It's just stupid.

What do you think Christians do? The crucifix and ikon's they all pray to. Those are considered graven images and are a violation of the 2nd commandment. But hey, what's wrong with a little hypocrisy when religion is concerned.

As far as I am concerned the only belief system that makes any sense is Buddhism. They are also the only theology that does not go around either trying to convert you, or tying to kill you. BTW, I am not a buddhist...yet :)

What do you think Christians do? The crucifix and ikon's they all pray to. Those are considered graven images and are a violation of the 2nd commandment. But hey, what's wrong with a little hypocrisy when religion is concerned.

Catholics do that. And I agree it's hypocritical. There is a big difference between Protestantism and Catholicism. Enough so to justify saying they are in fact two different religions imo. And I sure won't try to argue there is a religion or worldview of any kind that is not overflowing with hypocrisy. My whole point that is that inanimate objects are not legitimate objects of worship. They are freaking rocks! No offense to any intended. I was a little harsh. But if anyone here worships a statue I think you're a ding-dong. No sense pretending, it's already out in the open now. I mean c'mon, it's silly.

I have a huge tattoo of the Hindu God of art & music on my arm. Her name is Saraswatti, & she is beautiful. I'll still have a Christmas tree next to my statue of Budda on December 25th.

Led Zeppelin... The Only Way To Fly!

Just came across this:

Robert was baptised in a Catholic Church in West Bromwich, called St. Michael and the Holy Angels. I reckon that with the time he became interested in rock music, making him forget almost everything because of music. He later would return to have faith in The Band of Joy.

On 5/5/2012 at 2:55 AM, Sagittarius Rising said:

I think all religions are inhumane and just plain dumb.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, The Zeppelin's Biggest Fan said:

Robert was baptised in a Catholic Church in West Bromwich, called St. Michael and the Holy Angels. 

This is false as far as I know, but I'll gladly stand corrected if proven wrong. 

Who cares, his business and boring business at that. Why the need to identify and relate to musicians and actors we admire? They are them and I am me. Robert could be goat rogering satanist who enjoys slathering copious amounts of vaseline all about himself while running naked singin show tunes and that would not deminish my love for the mans music. Though I would wonder why no songs about goats or Vaseline.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

This is false as far as I know, but I'll gladly stand corrected if proven wrong. 

I'd be surprised, Brum doesn't have that many Catholics, though there is a cathedral

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Chad's_Cathedral,_Birmingham

The big Catholic places in England would be Manchester & Liverpool rather than Birmingham.