There's a great interview and supporting articles with Eddie Van Halen, and with his son, in the August 2012 edition of Guitar World.

ec421_eddieguitarworldjune2012.jpg

Priceless headline on that cover. "I SEE US DOING THIS FOR A LONG, LONG TIME"

Doing what, treating your fanbase like shit?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Different Kind Of Truth is the best summertime poolside disc this year, IMO. Probably because I've played the others to death over the years, but this disc is becoming my favorite of all of their releases. So rockin' and energized!

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong group, or am more gullible with the news than I realized. Didn't this group again cancel most/all of the shows that were postponed a while back, yet are recently being considered as the halftime act for The Superbowl?

• 3 weeks later...

Curious minds want to know about the CURRENT VH. I'm not a VH enthusiast, yet I love "Fair Warning" and think they are the most logical - AND- KICKASS - current possible choice for the Superbowl halftime show.

I haven't seen them on this tour but I did see them on the previous one back in 2008 and thought they did a pretty remarkable job, especially in light of all of the criticism that's been leveled at them regarding Wolfgang, Dave's voice, onstage glitches, etc. That said, the clips I've seen of Edward playing "Eruption" from the current tour are a marked improvement over what I saw in 2008. That's not to say that he sounded shitty on that tour or anything but he seems much more animated and with it this time out. More like the Edward of old before drugs and alcohol nearly did him in. I must also say they sound pretty good on their latest album, which would make a pretty good followup to Women and Children First stylistically speaking. It's just got more of that sort of raw power I more closely associate with Van Halen and has none of the spit n' polish sound of their latter Dave-era stuff.

It's just got more of that sort of raw power I more closely associate with Van Halen and has none of the spit n' polish sound of their latter Dave-era stuff.

Again, I can't think of a more appropriate group to delver more "raw power" to the Superbowl Halftime show - in spite of the cancelled shows.

Again, I can't think of a more appropriate group to delver more "raw power" to the Superbowl Halftime show - in spite of the cancelled shows.

As you may have noticed in the link I posted a few posts back, Dave is all for it. I guess it's just matter of the Superbowl people deciding who they want. Personally, I don't really pay any attention to the Superbowl or any of the performers they have at half-time but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Just saw Van Halen in May in Vancouver, B.C. Uhmazzzing show! Eddie was on fire! It's not just the way he plays (which is otherwordly) but how effortless he makes it all look, as well as the positive energy he exudes. All smiles for the whole show. Van Halen is only Van Halen with David Lee Roth behind the mic stand. He may not be in the vocal shape he was in in 1978, but the man cannot be denied as a frontman. Honestly it was the best concert I have ever attended, second only to Robert Plant and the Band of Joy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice story, Strider! Did you have any sort of conversation with him?

Happy Birthday Diamond Dave!!!

No, he was pretty out of it. While taking classes I was working graveyard shift at the 7-11 on Santa Monica Blvd. near Fairfax. He came in late one night, just before the 2am cutoff and bought the rolling papers, beer and who knows what else...I think maybe some slim jims. He was still pleasant even though he was obviously loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

According to The Pulse Of Radio, VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth has posted a new solo song online called "One Piece Thermo-Molded Country Plastic Chair", which he said is "dedicated to all who are affected by and recovering from Hurricane Sandy." Roth co-wrote the tune with Scotty Emerick and posted a video for it online as part of his ongoing web series, "The Roth Show".

This month's Classic Rock mag says: 'EVH's life was saved by recent emergency surgery for a severe case of diverticulitis. The 57 yr old is expected to make a full recovery, but all VH's future dates are now postponed until 2013.'

Apparently, diverticulitis is a colonic complaint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

Ouch.

• 2 months later...

Its so weird the comparassons between the Van Halen Sam and Dave versions...but I go with Sammy here...for Dave, Eddie had to tune down a few steps because Dave didnt have the range...and it resulted in sloppy playing...and when Dave went...so did Ted Templeton...and Eddie self produced...

...but Daves band with Steve Vai was much better than Van Halen ever was...as is Sammys band with Joe Satriani...

• 4 weeks later...