VAN HALEN!

Toronto Zeppelin

That lead voice in Panama is a joke right ??

Who is that onstage???? OMG !!!

We all know if you are going to a VH concert with DLR at the helm, you're not going to hear a great vocal performance from Dave - but you are expecting to see a good show and have a party leader in Diamond Dave. It's better than his solo shows - or maybe it's just the music is better and that detracts...

Van Halen will promote the release of its new concert album, "Live: Tokyo Dome In Concert" , with a live performance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Thursday, April 2.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/van-halen-to-perform-live-on-the-ellen-degeneres-show/

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/van-halen-unchained-from-tokyo-dome-live-in-concert-streaming/

The only song I ever really got into by Van Halen was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA

I did like the entire album Van Halen III which was released in the late 90's, but it's been a while since I listened to it

That is a sad testament to your Canadian upbringing. :P

Gary Cherone? :bagoverhead:

You know when I'll get excited? When they announce the release of "Van Halen Live in Oakland 1981" or "Van Halen Live in Landover 1982".

You know when I'll get excited? When they announce the release of "Van Halen Live in Oakland 1981" or "Van Halen Live in Landover 1982".

A lot of people feel that way, but it seems Eddie wanted a concert performance with his son captured for posterity more.

The Ellen link mentions they will embark on a "Greatest Hits Tour". Any confirmation?

DLR really sounds like crap on the entire Tokyo Live CD.

No official confirmation yet, but I'm told they'll be playing about 40 dates in North America from Jul - Oct 2015.

I was at the Tokyo Dome concert. The band had actually told venue management to permit the fans to record the show. Unfortunately, that word did not reach most attendees.

DLR has masterfully used charisma and showmanship to compensate for an overall average singing ability for years.

It was funny...friends and I were just walking out of the TCM Fest's closing night party at the Roosevelt Hotel and we had to laugh. Just as one event is ending another is getting started.

Let's see if this works...

post-1470-0-24954600-1427746225_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-10868700-1427746284_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-79286700-1427746516_thumb.jp

Strider, did you get to see Shirley McClaine and Sophia Loren?

Yes I did...and Errol Flynn's daughter Rory, Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Alex Trebek, Bill Paxton, Apollo 13 Captain Jim Lovell, Alec Baldwin, Dustin Hoffman, and Greg Proops.

Ooops, I fogot Carl Reiner and Dawn Welles.

Edited by Strider

The set list of the Van Halen concert tonight. Not sure which songs will be aired on Kimmel.

Panama/Hot 4 Teacher/Runnin' with the Devil/Eruption-You Really Got Me/Dance the Night Away/Unchained/Ain't Talkin' Bout Love

Such an awesome tune.

One of my very favorites.

I concur 100%.

Last night Kimmel aired Panama, Running with the Devil, and Dance the Night Away. So if they air another three songs tonight, one song will get the boot. Personally, as long as they show Unchained and Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, I'll be happy...they don't even have to show a third song.

Oh, and that wasn't a Breathe Right strip DLR was wearing last night on his nose. He cut his nose immediately when they began the first song Panama. They stopped the song and bandaged Dave's nose backstage and then came back on stage a restarted the show.

OK, so here's what I take away from these recent VH appearances:

Eddie looks great, in amazing shape for his age and looks real healthy. Still a mind boggling player.

Wolfie, sheesh, lay off the twinkies and chips man!

DLR- I never got the idea of covering your body in tattoos, but if it works for you, go for it. Looks and sounds good.

Alex looks like he's got the most mileage, but still keeps a solid beat going.

Isn't it time to integrate the two VHs? Will Roth NEVER sing a SH song and vice versa? Seems kind of silly, some of their great tunes had SH singing, why can't Roth cover them?

Still wish they had new material to showcase, but you can't have everything.

Loved the stop and restart when Roth cut his nose, very big of the band to just start all over.

Edited by in_the_evening

OK, so here's what I take away from these recent VH appearances:

Eddie looks great, in amazing shape for his age and looks real healthy. Still a mind boggling player.

Wolfie, sheesh, lay off the twinkies and chips man!

DLR- I never got the idea of covering your body in tattoos, but if it works for you, go for it. Looks and sounds good.

Alex looks like he's got the most mileage, but still keeps a solid beat going.

Isn't it time to integrate the two VHs? Will Roth NEVER sing a SH song and vice versa? Seems kind of silly, some of their great tunes had SH singing, why can't Roth cover them?

Still wish they had new material to showcase, but you can't have everything.

Loved the stop and restart when Roth cut his nose, very big of the band to just start all over.

This performance is making me reconsider seeing them in Tampa in September. First of all, they are playing a smaller venue than the past two times they've come around - and it's open air. They will never play SH songs with Dave simply because they can't stand Sammy and they would definitely need Michael Anthony to make any sense of the vocal harmonies - and that's not gonna happen either. I think Eddie is more about rocking out again and not playing the synth/piano as much as he was in the mid-late 80's. Sammy did sing Dave songs, but they never sounded right with the Van Hagar era. As far as new material - I'm with you that would be great! I thought their last release was the greatest "comeback" disc of any major band that I've heard. It was awesome and those songs sounded great on their tour. "She's The Woman" is a classic VH song for sure! I am hearing this tour is really going to be a greatest hits set list. The first tour back with DD, they really focused on VH I and 1984 - the last tour was more VH II than any other disc. I would love more Fair Warning personally.

Broke down and bought VH tickets today. The high end tickets were $175 total. That's crazy, IMO, at this point (w/o Michael Anthony). And it was about 1/2 of the venue at that price or higher for "VIP" tickets! I bought the second level of tickets and got 2nd row of that area, on Eddie's side of the stage. It will be very interesting to see how many people are willing to pay 175 for them at this point....

The amphitheater in Tampa is pretty small, less than 12,000 on a declining floor w/o steps. Open air, which is the best way to see them - it's summertime music after all!

Broke down and bought VH tickets today. The high end tickets were $175 total. That's crazy, IMO, at this point (w/o Michael Anthony). And it was about 1/2 of the venue at that price or higher for "VIP" tickets! I bought the second level of tickets and got 2nd row of that area, on Eddie's side of the stage. It will be very interesting to see how many people are willing to pay 175 for them at this point....

The amphitheater in Tampa is pretty small, less than 12,000 on a declining floor w/o steps. Open air, which is the best way to see them - it's summertime music after all!

$175 is cheap...it's $280 plus service charges for any halfway decent seat at the Hollywood Bowl show.

Frankly, I would hate to see you waste $175 Walter. Are you really sure what you saw from the Jimmy Kimmel performance is worth your money? I don't know what Van Halen means to you, but the Van Halen I saw on Kimmel is not the Van Halen I cherish in my memory. A grounded David Lee Roth who talks his way thru songs while bonking himself with baton twirling and tired judo moves is not the whirling dervish party-master DLR that I remember from my youth.

And contrary to the haters, there was a time when DLR did sing the songs as well as doing the leaps and 20 foot jumps off the drum riser. It wasn't until the 1982-83 tour that he started getting lazy and letting Michael and Eddie pick up the vocal slack. Watch the Kimmel performance again. Now, listen to this 1981 bootleg from Greensboro, North Carolina. If you think 2015 Van Halen comes close to 1981 Van Halen, by all means, be my guest and spend $175 to see them.

Edited by Strider

Do I have dillusions that VH is the '81 VH, no way. The music sounded great to me and Eddie is still Eddie. Would I pay 175 - HELL NO! That was my point and now you are saying they are charging 280 out in Hollywood to see them? People must have f.you money to burn to pay that. We got a reasonably priced ticket at a mid-size outdoor venue - which they haven't played in years here in FL. I certainly don't think Dave is anywhere near the frontman he was and I was very critical of him the last time we saw them 3 years ago. It will be a fun night, IMO, with a lot of crowd singing and great guitar work. The Kimmel performance was good for Runnin' With The Devil - Panama has never sounded good live to me, for whatever reason, and no matter who was singing it.