VAN HALEN!

Toronto Zeppelin

6 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

Sorry guys I much prefer the Hagar Van Halen with the exception of the tune Tattoo

And some people prefer the Firm over Led Zeppelin. I'll never understand such people but...well...

59 minutes ago, Strider said:

And some people prefer the Firm over Led Zeppelin. I'll never understand such people but...well...

Well, its just that, Van Hagar, had...too many notes. Yep, that's it. There are only so many notes the ear can hear and, um...

On 7/31/2020 at 9:37 AM, Strider said:

@chillumpuffer @JTM Is this the Manchester show you missed? May 22, 1978 Manchester Apollo.

That is the tour, yes. It was disappointing that VH could not stay on as support for the added gigs on that Sabbath 78 tour, never got to see them. 

9 hours ago, JTM said:

That is the tour, yes. It was disappointing that VH could not stay on as support for the added gigs on that Sabbath 78 tour, never got to see them. 

That is a shame. 1978-1981 was their zenith. Manchester crowd sounds like they dug them. Most opening acts barely get a nod.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

That is a shame. 1978-1981 was their zenith. Manchester crowd sounds like they dug them. Most opening acts barely get a nod.

They were liked so well that they were kicked off the Sabbath tour for “outperforming them”.

R😎

2 hours ago, reids said:

They were liked so well that they were kicked off the Sabbath tour for “outperforming them”.

R😎

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

44 minutes ago, JTM said:

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

Ok. Geezer Butler said it differently a few years back in an interview. He appeared to not like them upstaging Sabbath.  VH were limited space on stage like most openers with no lighting or effects, but did get an encore after they played 30 minute sets.  Ozzy’s drug problems set things off and he even went AWOL in Nashville (where they cancelled show). Then, Ozzy was fired from the band after the tour. Tony Iommi appeared to get along with VH, though. 

R😎

Edited by reids

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

June 1, 1978 @ Hammersmith Odeon. Van Halen's first appearance in London and they blow London's minds. Van Halen gets two encore songs... "D.O.A." and "Bottom's Up". I feel sorry for anyone who showed up late for this concert.

Edited by Strider

On 8/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, luvlz2 said:

Wolfgang Van Halen Says His Detractors Aren't Creative Enough With Their Insults: 'Nepotism' And 'Fat' Jokes Are Getting Old: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/wolfgang-van-halen-says-his-detractors-arent-creative-enough-with-their-insults-nepotism-and-fat-jokes-are-getting-old/

Let's face it, Eddie did Michael Anthony dirty and unlike with David Lee Roth there was no reconciliation as far as I know. Wolfgang's not the greatest bassist in the world but were it not for the motivation of performing with his son I doubt very much Eddie would have toured at all over the past ten years.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, JTM said:

This - at last, someone else remembers the way it actually went! Getting kicked off the tour for being too good makes a good yarn, but it's a myth just like the one that has Van Halen blowing Sabbath off stage every night. They certainly didn't do that at the gig I saw in Sheffield, which was the first night of the 1978 tour  - even though Sabbath blew the PA at the end and had to scrap the encore!

2 hours ago, Brigante said:

This - at last, someone else remembers the way it actually went! Getting kicked off the tour for being too good makes a good yarn, but it's a myth just like the one that has Van Halen blowing Sabbath off stage every night. They certainly didn't do that at the gig I saw in Sheffield, which was the first night of the 1978 tour  - even though Sabbath blew the PA at the end and had to scrap the encore!

I must admit I was a bit peeved that the Liverpool show was such a late addition to the tour that VH would be unavailable. I can’t remember who the support was except they were shite.

22 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Could it've been Tanz Der Youth, who were some bloke out of the Damned and his mates? They did some support slots at the time, to univerally bad reviews!

I don't really know, it could have been, Whoever they were they were possibly the worst band I have ever seen, not far behind are Samson who supported Robin Trower, a mismatch if ever there was one.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, JTM said:

8 hours ago, Brigante said:

I had never heard this myth of Van Halen being kicked off the Black Sabbath tour until just now when I saw reids post.

I mean, the UK tour was in May-June 1978. I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath and Boston at Anaheim on September 23, 1978. Obviously, if Van Halen was still opening for Black Sabbath in September they weren't kicked off the tour by Black Sabbath in June.

Plus, in all the interviews and books I have read on Black Sabbath (admittedly I haven't read every word printed on Black Sabbath), they always have had kind words to say about Van Halen. 

10422524_592368784198329_555191009496191163_n.jpg.7a1cae726c1fe742e7be3033b44e70e4.jpg

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I had never heard this myth of Van Halen being kicked off the Black Sabbath tour until just now when I saw reids post.

I mean, the UK tour was in May-June 1978. I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath and Boston at Anaheim on September 23, 1978. Obviously, if Van Halen was still opening for Black Sabbath in September they weren't kicked off the tour by Black Sabbath in June.

Plus, in all the interviews and books I have read on Black Sabbath (admittedly I haven't read every word printed on Black Sabbath), they always have had kind words to say about Van Halen. 

10422524_592368784198329_555191009496191163_n.jpg.7a1cae726c1fe742e7be3033b44e70e4.jpg

The myth has been around for years. I remember reading about it in one of the music weeklies, (NME/Melody Maker/Sounds). It was probably in the NME, the kind of story they would concoct.

Edited by JTM
Missing "it"

One of the biggest mysteries of Led Zeppelin is why they ignored and did not play one of their greatest songs, "The Rover". All we have is Van Halen's cover of "The Rover" from May 9, 1976 when they opened for UFO at a club in Norwalk, California.

30 minutes ago, Strider said:

I just love how Van Halen chose the deep cuts by Led Zeppelin to cover…the songs Led Zeppelin did not play live.

Problem is Dave's vocals ruin both tunes IMO. Though I prefer their take on The Rover, they do not do a good version of HOFN. Dave sings the song like a lounge act and the band just, again IMO, has no balls or swing. HOFN is a very tricky tune to play, the drumming is some of Bonzo's best as he is switching up styles and time signatures throughout the song. Literally every member of the band has to be locked in perfectly otherwise forget it. So again, IMO, the weakest links here are Alex & Dave though Eddie's flanger kinda screws up the tune as well.

Edited by Mr.Bones

30 minutes ago, Mr.Bones said:

Problem is Dave's vocals ruin both tunes IMO. Though I prefer their take on The Rover, they do not do a good version of HOFN. Dave sings the song like a lounge act and the band just, again IMO, has no balls or swing. HOFN is a very tricky tune to play, the drumming is some of Bonzo's best as he is switching up styles and time signatures throughout the song. Literally every member of the band has to be locked in perfectly otherwise forget it. So again, IMO, the weakest links here are Alex & Dave though Eddie's flanger kinda screws up the tune as well.

All valid criticisms. But I would like to point out that this is from a club show in May 1976. The "Presence" album had just come out and who knows if anyone in Van Halen had bought the album yet. They might have just sussed out the song from the times they heard it on the radio and decided to wing it. Van Halen was crazy like that.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

All valid criticisms. But I would like to point out that this is from a club show in May 1976. The "Presence" album had just come out and who knows if anyone in Van Halen had bought the album yet. They might have just sussed out the song from the times they heard it on the radio and decided to wing it. Van Halen was crazy like that.

Oh no, I agree, valid attempt indeed but even with practice I doubt DLR could have pulled it off and Alex never had the chops or ability of Bonham and HOFN is a serious drum track.

I saw VH live several times from 81' - 88' (Monsters of Rock) and was only disappointed once which was at a show in 84' and Eddie was drunk as a monkey and could not play at all. It was pretty sad. That was the only bad show I saw them perform so I have no complaints. Though the show I saw in 81' was the best of the lot.

59 minutes ago, Mr.Bones said:

Oh no, I agree, valid attempt indeed but even with practice I doubt DLR could have pulled it off and Alex never had the chops or ability of Bonham and HOFN is a serious drum track.

I saw VH live several times from 81' - 88' (Monsters of Rock) and was only disappointed once which was at a show in 84' and Eddie was drunk as a monkey and could not play at all. It was pretty sad. That was the only bad show I saw them perform so I have no complaints. Though the show I saw in 81' was the best of the lot.

1981 was to Van Halen what 1971 was to Led Zeppelin. A well-oiled machine with no flaws and everyone operating at peak efficiency.