Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Strider said:

@chillumpuffer @JTM Is this the Manchester show you missed? May 22, 1978 Manchester Apollo.

 

yep that's the one. The show I saw was the year later. This show was the Technical Ecstasy 1978 world Tour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

Sorry guys I much prefer the Hagar Van Halen with the exception of the tune Tattoo

 

And some people prefer the Firm over Led Zeppelin. I'll never understand such people but...well...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Strider said:

And some people prefer the Firm over Led Zeppelin. I'll never understand such people but...well...

 

Well, its just that, Van Hagar, had...too many notes. Yep, that's it. There are only so many notes the ear can hear and, um...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 9:37 AM, Strider said:

@chillumpuffer @JTM Is this the Manchester show you missed? May 22, 1978 Manchester Apollo.

 

That is the tour, yes. It was disappointing that VH could not stay on as support for the added gigs on that Sabbath 78 tour, never got to see them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JTM said:

That is the tour, yes. It was disappointing that VH could not stay on as support for the added gigs on that Sabbath 78 tour, never got to see them. 

That is a shame. 1978-1981 was their zenith. Manchester crowd sounds like they dug them. Most opening acts barely get a nod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strider said:

That is a shame. 1978-1981 was their zenith. Manchester crowd sounds like they dug them. Most opening acts barely get a nod.

They were liked so well that they were kicked off the Sabbath tour for “outperforming them”.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother just played, "summer nights" the other day

Some great vocals by sammy hagar and some mega eddie van halen, such a great song to listen to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reids said:

They were liked so well that they were kicked off the Sabbath tour for “outperforming them”.

R😎

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, JTM said:

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

Ok. Geezer Butler said it differently a few years back in an interview. He appeared to not like them upstaging Sabbath.  VH were limited space on stage like most openers with no lighting or effects, but did get an encore after they played 30 minute sets.  Ozzy’s drug problems set things off and he even went AWOL in Nashville (where they cancelled show). Then, Ozzy was fired from the band after the tour. Tony Iommi appeared to get along with VH, though. 
 

R😎

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

June 1, 1978 @ Hammersmith Odeon. Van Halen's first appearance in London and they blow London's minds. Van Halen gets two encore songs... "D.O.A." and "Bottom's Up". I feel sorry for anyone who showed up late for this concert.

 

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, luvlz2 said:

Wolfgang Van Halen Says His Detractors Aren't Creative Enough With Their Insults: 'Nepotism' And 'Fat' Jokes Are Getting Old: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/wolfgang-van-halen-says-his-detractors-arent-creative-enough-with-their-insults-nepotism-and-fat-jokes-are-getting-old/

Let's face it, Eddie did Michael Anthony dirty and unlike with David Lee Roth there was no reconciliation as far as I know. Wolfgang's not the greatest bassist in the world but were it not for the motivation of performing with his son I doubt very much Eddie would have toured at all over the past ten years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, JTM said:

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

This - at last, someone else remembers the way it actually went! Getting kicked off the tour for being too good makes a good yarn, but it's a myth just like the one that has Van Halen blowing Sabbath off stage every night. They certainly didn't do that at the gig I saw in Sheffield, which was the first night of the 1978 tour  - even though Sabbath blew the PA at the end and had to scrap the encore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It was always shocking, what a dick EVH was towards Michael Anthony. 

Edited by JohnOsbourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brigante said:

This - at last, someone else remembers the way it actually went! Getting kicked off the tour for being too good makes a good yarn, but it's a myth just like the one that has Van Halen blowing Sabbath off stage every night. They certainly didn't do that at the gig I saw in Sheffield, which was the first night of the 1978 tour  - even though Sabbath blew the PA at the end and had to scrap the encore!

I must admit I was a bit peeved that the Liverpool show was such a late addition to the tour that VH would be unavailable. I can’t remember who the support was except they were shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it've been Tanz Der Youth, who were some bloke out of the Damned and his mates? They did some support slots at the time, to univerally bad reviews!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Could it've been Tanz Der Youth, who were some bloke out of the Damned and his mates? They did some support slots at the time, to univerally bad reviews!

I don't really know, it could have been, Whoever they were they were possibly the worst band I have ever seen, not far behind are Samson who supported Robin Trower, a mismatch if ever there was one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, JTM said:

They didn't get kicked off the tour, extra dates were added on to the tour. VH had other commitments and were unavailabe for the added shows. For the Liverpool show I went to I knew well in advance there would be no Van Halen.

 

8 hours ago, Brigante said:

This - at last, someone else remembers the way it actually went! Getting kicked off the tour for being too good makes a good yarn, but it's a myth just like the one that has Van Halen blowing Sabbath off stage every night. They certainly didn't do that at the gig I saw in Sheffield, which was the first night of the 1978 tour  - even though Sabbath blew the PA at the end and had to scrap the encore!

I had never heard this myth of Van Halen being kicked off the Black Sabbath tour until just now when I saw reids post.

I mean, the UK tour was in May-June 1978. I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath and Boston at Anaheim on September 23, 1978. Obviously, if Van Halen was still opening for Black Sabbath in September they weren't kicked off the tour by Black Sabbath in June.

Plus, in all the interviews and books I have read on Black Sabbath (admittedly I haven't read every word printed on Black Sabbath), they always have had kind words to say about Van Halen. 

10422524_592368784198329_555191009496191163_n.jpg.7a1cae726c1fe742e7be3033b44e70e4.jpg

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, here is another nugget from that historic 1978 UK tour. Ipswich May 28, 1978.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Strider said:

 

I had never heard this myth of Van Halen being kicked off the Black Sabbath tour until just now when I saw reids post.

I mean, the UK tour was in May-June 1978. I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath and Boston at Anaheim on September 23, 1978. Obviously, if Van Halen was still opening for Black Sabbath in September they weren't kicked off the tour by Black Sabbath in June.

Plus, in all the interviews and books I have read on Black Sabbath (admittedly I haven't read every word printed on Black Sabbath), they always have had kind words to say about Van Halen. 

10422524_592368784198329_555191009496191163_n.jpg.7a1cae726c1fe742e7be3033b44e70e4.jpg

The myth has been around for years. I remember reading about it in one of the music weeklies, (NME/Melody Maker/Sounds). It was probably in the NME, the kind of story they would concoct.

Edited by JTM
Missing "it"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the biggest mysteries of Led Zeppelin is why they ignored and did not play one of their greatest songs, "The Rover". All we have is Van Halen's cover of "The Rover" from May 9, 1976 when they opened for UFO at a club in Norwalk, California.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just love how Van Halen chose the deep cuts by Led Zeppelin to cover…the songs Led Zeppelin did not play live.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Strider said:

I just love how Van Halen chose the deep cuts by Led Zeppelin to cover…the songs Led Zeppelin did not play live.

 

Problem is Dave's vocals ruin both tunes IMO. Though I prefer their take on The Rover, they do not do a good version of HOFN. Dave sings the song like a lounge act and the band just, again IMO, has no balls or swing. HOFN is a very tricky tune to play, the drumming is some of Bonzo's best as he is switching up styles and time signatures throughout the song. Literally every member of the band has to be locked in perfectly otherwise forget it. So again, IMO, the weakest links here are Alex & Dave though Eddie's flanger kinda screws up the tune as well.

Edited by Mr.Bones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...