VAN HALEN!

Toronto Zeppelin

20670_243094046789_729251789_3774444_1997103_n.jpg

This was taken at June Jam at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, NC in 1979. In addition to Van Halen, the other bands on the bill were Poco, Boston and the Outlaws. The crowd had grown pretty restless leading up to Van Halen's set which led to everyone throwing plastic cups up in the air and eventually, at the stage. During Van Halen's set a train of cups hit Roth in the head, causing him to stop mid-song to address the crowd. He threatened to drag the "next motherfucker that throws a cup" up on stage to whip his ass. He also threatened to stop the show altogether if people kept throwing cups at the stage. After that, the cup tossing continued but no one threw any more at the stage. Unfortunately, things had gotten to the point where people were throwing nearly anything they could get their hands on. Up where I was seated in the bleachers I saw someone that had been hit in the head by a George Dickel bottle which left a pretty nasty gash. Thankfully, everyone calmed down considerably after Dave addressed the crowd.

Fast forward to 2008 and my second Van Halen concert. This one was also in Raleigh and also included David Lee Roth. During "Ice Cream Man" someone got the bright idea of rushing the stage to give Eddie Van Halen a hug. Considering how tight security was at that concert, it's a wonder they got on the stage at all.

Security for sure missed that guy...bet he got hammered a few times backstage!

^^Thanks SAJ! Has this been broadcast yet, or was it something someone spliced together? I listen to Howard (not as much as I used to) but have not heard this....I have many of these interviews archived on old tapes, but they're great to hear again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

From the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook:

524019_266298950122186_151694561582626_619231_518169844_n.jpg

ON THIS DATE (33 YEARS AGO)

March 23, 1979 – Van Halen Van Halen II is released.

# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 4.5/5

# Allmusic 4/5

# Rolling Stone (see original review below)

Van Halen II is the second album by Van Halen, released on this date in 1979.

While it's tough to follow up a classic, Van Halen II comes close to matching the brilliance of the band's debut. Once again, the record begins with a fat bass line from Michael Anthony, and his piercing background vocals are featured on "You're No Good," an explosive cover of the Linda Ronstadt tune.

While the group's early material was slightly too heavy for Top 40 airplay, here they take a commercial stab with the brilliant "Dance the Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls." "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" features the trademark wails of David Lee Roth, and Eddie Van Halen's magical soloing. Alex Van Halen's playing takes a slightly complex turn on "Outta Love Again" with some funky drum fills. Eddie shows his versatility with the gorgeous, flamenco-styled solo "Spanish Fly." The band kicks it full throttle once again on "D.O.A.," which accelerates to a mighty finish. "Women in Love" features lessons from Mr. Roth on dealing with female fickleness. Van Halen II would go on to be a huge success, reaching the U.S. Top 10. This remastered album leaves the band sounding better than ever.

COVER

The black-and-yellow guitar on the back of the album is buried with Dimebag Darrell. Eddie Van Halen placed it in his casket at his funeral because Dimebag had said it was his favorite. However, Eddie himself stated in interviews that the guitar itself was not actually used on the Van Halen II album, as it had only been completed just in time for the photo shoots for the album. David Lee Roth is shown in a cast in the inner liner notes, as he allegedly broke his right foot making the leap and accidentally landing on the bottom of the microphone stand also seen in the picture on the back cover art.

ORIGINAL ROLLING STONE REVIEW

Rock archaeologists have recently unearthed conclusive evidence (some liner notes contained in the ancient Dead Weight Scrolls) that the subspecies of heavy metal known as thud rock was born way back in the paleolithic mists when a certain strain of Heidelberg man (Mondo erectus) began banging on a garbage can with the skull bone of a chimpanzee.

Predictably, these findings received scant attention in the world's music press -- until the discovery off the coast of Sumatra last month, of a No. 5-gauge trash barrel whose artfully dented surface had markings that could only have been made by a slope-headed Stone Age percussionist. And now a research team of MIT-trained musicologists has deduced that this early primate was pounding out the same hectic boogie tempo found throughout Van Halen II. Both anthropologists and musicians were stunned by the news, and Dr. Kenneth Clark and Leonard Bernstein are reportedly collaborating on a book about the breakthrough (with Robert Stigwood holding the rights).

Phew. Talk about history repeating itself!

Van Halen is the latest rock act to fall out of a family tree of deadbeats whose ancestry includes slave drummers on Roman galleys, Ginger Baker's Air Force and the street crews of the New York City Department of Sanitation. But this blockbusting four-man band is not without some outside influences. Scattered throughout Van Halen's second album are various Vanilla Fudge bumps and grinds, an Aerosmith-derived pseudobravado, a bit of Bad Company basement funk and even a few Humble Pie miniraveups. And check out these timelessly ponderable lyrics lifted form "Beautiful Girls": "I got a drink in my hand!/I got my toes in the sand!.../All I need is a beautiful girl!" Mighty lead singer David Lee Roth hammers the maxim home with a flurry of blind yowls, ain't-we-got-fun guffaws and clever asides like "Awww!" "Come this way!" "Sit down right here!" "Ooooooh-la-la!" and "I think I got it now!"

From "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" to "D.O.A.," the material on Van Halen II comes up consistently ruminative and semirollicking, fleshed out as it is by the stilted instrumental blarings of lead guitarist Edward Van Halen, bassist Michael Anthony and drummer Alex Van Halen. Thanks to the behind-the-scenes assistance of "guitar technician" Robin (Rudy) Leiren and "drum kit set up" craftsman Gregg Emerson, the players are free to re-create every familiar squawking fuzz-tone riff, leaden bass run, cowbell clunk and rumbling drum eruption known to their genre. And yet the LP retains a numbing live feel, with Roth's repertoire of deft "Uh-huhs" and train-whistle exhortations ("Whoa-whoa whooooo!") occasionally segueing into impromptu snickers that are shared by the entire group.

Even as I write, Van Halen is scaling the topmost reaches of the nation's record charts and conquering arena-sized crowds from coast to coast. Like the Stone Age, these flawless thud rockers will probably be around for a long time -- and they deserve any notice they get. Dig it or not, I've had this amazing thirty-one-minute artifact on my turntable for hours, and after almost one careful listening. I'm utterly convinced that the members of Van Halen must have been up half the night creating it. What an effort.

~ Timothy White, Rolling Stone (July 12, 1979)

TRACKS:

All songs written by Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth, except where noted.

1. "You're No Good" (Clint Ballard, Jr.) 3:16

2. "Dance the Night Away" 3:06

3. "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" 2:52

4. "Bottoms Up!" 3:05

5. "Outta Love Again" 2:51

6. "Light Up the Sky" 3:13

7. "Spanish Fly" (Instrumental) 1:00

8. "D.O.A." 4:09

9. "Women in Love..." 4:08

10. "Beautiful Girls" 3:56

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I believe I just saw my last Van Halen concert last week....sadly.

DLR's voice is so shot and he cannot command the stage like he did even on the last tour (2007-2008). Eddie kicked ass, as always, but they just don't have it anymore as a whole. The only thing I can think of is he wasn't in top form, vocally, due to allergies (the pollen has been crazy in the southeast this spring) or illness. They rushed through their set (approx. 1 hr. 45 min.) and got out of dodge. No banter between songs, no band vibe at all.

I LOVE the new disc and wished they had played more of it, because they at least sounded interested while playing the new songs. Like I said, last VH show for me, unless something drastically changes - I'll just listen to the studio stuff.

Hi Pagemeister:

They are coming to The JLC in London ...I got my wish but it's too late to book the time off work...the only hope is to go after work but I'll have to book a super sonic jet or become super man/girl to get to London in time for the show....

J :superman:

I have to say, I believe I just saw my last Van Halen concert last week....sadly.

DLR's voice is so shot and he cannot command the stage like he did even on the last tour (2007-2008). Eddie kicked ass, as always, but they just don't have it anymore as a whole. The only thing I can think of is he wasn't in top form, vocally, due to allergies (the pollen has been crazy in the southeast this spring) or illness. They rushed through their set (approx. 1 hr. 45 min.) and got out of dodge. No banter between songs, no band vibe at all.

I LOVE the new disc and wished they had played more of it, because they at least sounded interested while playing the new songs. Like I said, last VH show for me, unless something drastically changes - I'll just listen to the studio stuff.

I saw them in '79 and then again in '08. I enjoyed both of those concerts but I'm also very content with those being the only two times I've ever seen Van Halen. At least I got to see them with their original line up in '79. Eddie seemed to be in pretty good shape in '08 but he seems to be in even better health now. That's pretty impressive as it looked like his personal demons were about to get the best of him there at one time.

Edited by Jahfin

Hi Page:

NO....I would never call in sick.....

I may be able to get there in time...I found out the show doesn't start till 7:30..there's an opening act....so VH will probably start closer to @ 8:30ish perhaps....the top price tickets are a wee bit expensive.so I better start saving...where there's a will ...there's a way,eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Jahfin:

I heard this VH news....The London Ontario show is one of the ones that has been postponed....

Now I don't have to worry about finding a fast limo and faster chauffeur that can get me to the Van Halen show on time after work...and I was so looking forward to buying a new ensemble with matching shoes and limo....ooppsss I mean purse...

J :rollin:

PS Hopefully the rescheduled show will fall on my day off.....

PS Hopefully the rescheduled show will fall on my day off.....

No actual news has surfaced yet about why the shows have been postponed but if it is inner band strife I have a sneaking suspicion that the shows won't be rescheduled.

**Edited to add:

Still an unofficial source but the Van Halen News Desk site has filed a report that you can read here.

Edited by Jahfin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a great interview and supporting articles with Eddie Van Halen, and with his son, in the August 2012 edition of Guitar World.

ec421_eddieguitarworldjune2012.jpg

Priceless headline on that cover. "I SEE US DOING THIS FOR A LONG, LONG TIME"

Doing what, treating your fanbase like shit?

A Different Kind Of Truth is the best summertime poolside disc this year, IMO. Probably because I've played the others to death over the years, but this disc is becoming my favorite of all of their releases. So rockin' and energized!

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong group, or am more gullible with the news than I realized. Didn't this group again cancel most/all of the shows that were postponed a while back, yet are recently being considered as the halftime act for The Superbowl?