Jimmy Page goes shopping!

It would have been more appropriate if the guy would have asked for a picture instead of filming him for 4 or 5 minutes...Although unless you are in that position it's hard to say what you would do, but it all comes down to what you think is right, respectful and what your morals are. Personally, I would have had the courage to introduce/excuse myself politely and ask if it would be too much trouble to take a pic and maybe add in something about him being an idol of mine and an influence musically, etc. But, I may not even have done that. I dunno.

I could see the guy filming him for a few seconds just to get it on tape, but the longer the vid went on-I felt embarraseed just watching it. Some people don't see anything wrong with that, but it was a bit overboard.

Many years ago we went to DisneyWorld (back in 2000 or 2002) We spent one full day at a place called Discovery Cove where you swim with Dolphins and snorkle inside caves, etc. Was a great time...

Anyway,before you are allowed to "meet" the dolphins they give you a tutorial on the "do's and don'ts" of your interaction with them. My brother was sitting next to me, and he whispers ....."Dude, is that Dee Snider"?...

Sure enough , it was! He was with his family (wife and several blonde headed kids)

I didn't even bother asking him for a picture because the guy was enjoying time with his family. If he would have been alone, I may have considered differently.

Even though that was a once in a lifetime chance to meet em', I felt it would be a little unnecessary to start a conversation, picture, etc. under those circumstances.

I'm sure he wouldn't have minded, but I respected him enough to just act as if he was not a "rock star" - just a normal guy....That's how I left it.

Later that day, I saw him swimming with a dolphin...pretty funny , yet cool.

This video was posted on YouTube initially, so if you have a YouTube account you can let the poster know what you think !

However I think that sadly he's typical of many people who have a really mixed up attitude to privacy : almost as if they don't get what it is.

It's particularly astonishing that it was his own stall : wasn't it enough for him that Jimmy was his customer ? After all, surely if you run a stall or shop you should offer a welcome, and the courtesy of privacy, to your customers (famous or not) - rather than undercover filming.

I tend to agree with Steve. He is in public, and he is a well known person. It's not like he was standing at his house filming through his windows, or following him around, or something like that. Jimmy was out shopping in public, not doing anything sensitive, and the guy filming didn't try to expose what Jimmy was looking at.

Did Page not want to be filmed? Probably. Did the guy film a little to long? Probably. Does it really matter? Not even a little bit. Stuff like this happens every day. It isn't any creepier than what goes on here sometimes.

Personally I think I would be too shy to go up to him, as I am with most people, but who knows.

I didn't even bother asking him for a picture because the guy was enjoying time with his family. If he would have been alone, I may have considered differently. Even though that was a once in a lifetime chance to meet em', I felt it would be a little unnecessary to start a conversation, picture, etc. under those circumstances.

I'm sure he wouldn't have minded, but I respected him enough to just act as if he was not a "rock star" - just a normal guy....That's how I left it.

I can definitely relate! On October 14, 1996 I attended a Diamanda Galas concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London. I had gone on account of her collaboration with JPJ on 'The Sporting Life'. After the show she graciously signed autographs in the lobby for all and sundry. It was during this time that JPJ strolled in to congratulate her on the performance with his wife Mo and daughters in tow. JPJ & Diamanda chatted briefly while JPJs' family quietly seated themselves at a nearby table. I had at least two dozen questions I wanted to ask but it was clear to me he too was there to see Diamanda, not engage with the public. I didn't know enough about his daughter Jacinda's album to approach her and besides it would've been awkward speaking with Mo and the girls when he was ready leave, which he did with them as quickly as they came.

• Comments from stall vendor

• “….he was buying records actually, then strolled around in the market with his friend and ended up behind mine. Books are all classics, real antique books. let's say he just likes popping up unnoticed in public places! “

• “…he's actually behind my stall, he's buying books from the stall behind mine”.

According to Ross Halfin's FB page: "Have been sent a YouTube link of Jimmy Page and I shopping at Spitalfields-well really it's Jimmy Page.

Look I don't understand why people can't fuck off and leave him alone. He's out doing stuff PRIVATELY abet in public BUT this is NOT a show or an event and this sort of thing is wrong. Are you THAT sad that you want to film him looking at books. The person who did this asked for a photo he said firmly 'NO' yet they go and film him. People are sad..."

So, the guy asked Jimmy for a photo, was turned down, and then resorted to creepily filming him from around his stall...that seems a bit much, to me.

According to Ross Halfin's FB page: "Have been sent a YouTube link of Jimmy Page and I shopping at Spitalfields-well really it's Jimmy Page.

Look I don't understand why people can't fuck off and leave him alone. He's out doing stuff PRIVATELY abet in public BUT this is NOT a show or an event and this sort of thing is wrong. Are you THAT sad that you want to film him looking at books. The person who did this asked for a photo he said firmly 'NO' yet they go and film him. People are sad..."

So, the guy asked Jimmy for a photo, was turned down, and then resorted to creepily filming him from around his stall...that seems a bit much, to me.

Wow. That changes things, especially that he said no to a photo, maybe he didn't want to draw a crowd. I wondered what they would think of this and now we know. I would still go up to Jimmy if I ever saw him and the circumstances were right though.

According to Ross Halfin's FB page: "..... this is NOT a show or an event and this sort of thing is wrong..."

.. when you're a celebrity, nothing you do in public is private. Fact. JP should count his blessings that he is unrecognisable to 99% of the public.

Halfin is a bell-end, and he should just STFU, IMO.

Whatever you - or I - think of Ross Halfin, this time he is spot on. It's about right and wrong.

Who among any of us should count our blessings that we're accorded a basic right and a basic courtesy?

People like this stallholder exist, people who don't understand privacy or who choose to exploit it exist - but not everyone takes that view, and it's NOT a given that life should be this way. No one who dislikes it should accept it; certainly not Jimmy Page.

Public figures in a public place DO have a reasonable expectation of privacy - in law and in practice, where the mainstream UK media are concerned. Ever since Naomi Campbell's victory against Mirror Group Newspapers in 2004 (over their undercover photography of her leaving a drugs rehab centre) there has been a huge tussle between celebrities' lawyers and the media as to where the boundaries lie. The lawyers are increasingly on the winning side - bolstered by generous interpretations of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which relates to privacy and the family. These challenges don't always make it to the courts, but privately I know of several cases where a celebrity has been photographed in a public place, but on private business, and their lawyers' letters have deterred publication.

So much for the law, and the mainstream media ... this isn't about that. It's about the fact that Youtube, Twitter, etc, don't (always) operate to the same rules, or at least can't be policed that way.... and given that all of us consume that material increasingly, then filming and posting intrusive crap on Youtube becomes normalised : we accept it. After all, whatever we all feel about Jimmy's private shopping trip, we have ALL seen worse things on YouTube: gross, intrusive, embarrassing stuff. In that context, who would challenge a seemingly innocuous shot of two men browsing books in a market?

These circumstances aren't about the law - they're about our individual values. Not what is rapidly becoming the norm, but about what we actually want to be the norm.

I don't know how you fight it .. but you don't shrug your shoulders and assent to it...

Still not in favor of stalking but it's just a picture. I know he's probably taken thousands but it would only take a second and the guy would have a memory for life while Jimmy would have probably forgot about it by the next day. It's still Jimmy's decision and still cool as long as they weren't jerks and I'd truthfully be surprised if they were since JP seems like a nice guy from what everyone says. Everyone has bad days too though. Whatever, I recognize Jimmy's right to privacy but at the same time the fan's right to talk to him. I'd talk to him if I saw him unless he was eating dinner with his family or something. I'd also get lost if he didn't want to be bothered.

I admit I watched the video and was excited to see Jimmy, but it was really creepy too. The comments from some people on the Halfin page were infuriating just because you purchased an album or went to a concert does not mean he owes you a damn thing, the fans did not make him who he is, he made himself who is he by being talented. After so many years I'm sure he is tired of fans coming up to him and bothering him. He just wants to relax and enjoy himself.

I also got a reply on FB from Ross after a short message I wrote him.

And?

Ross probably complained about it and youtube probably made the guy take it down. I don't see why though. It's the day and age we live in. He wasn't slandering Page, there was nothing negative about it. Just a simple celebrity sighting out in public and the guy happened to have a device capable of capturing video with him. You make it sound like he was being disrespectful. If you think for one second all fans are proper and respectful you are dead wrong. I don't think it was disrespectful. Page allegedly said no to a picture, the guy simply took a digital video of him for a minute or two.

And?

Ross probably complained about it and youtube probably made the guy take it down. I don't see why though. It's the day and age we live in. He wasn't slandering Page, there was nothing negative about it. Just a simple celebrity sighting out in public and the guy happened to have a device capable of capturing video with him. You make it sound like he was being disrespectful. If you think for one second all fans are proper and respectful you are dead wrong. I don't think it was disrespectful. Page allegedly said no to a picture, the guy simply took a digital video of him for a minute or two.

I don't know exactly what your problem or hang up is with my comment in particular, cause if you read this thread, more than half have the same notion, idea and thoughts on this as I do. So why you picked me, I don't know. If your lacking attention of some kind or looking to pick a spat, you found it dear sir. I'll be glad to entertain you just as long as you can handle what I say.

What this all comes down to is a persons own morals, level of respect for others and their privacy.

Obviously your level of this is lower than most because you'd never post the bullshit you decided to write in defense of the filmer. If Page said "no" to a photo, autograph, etc (which is what happened according to Ross) than I find it to be pretty low of him to continue to film the guy for almost 5 fuckin minutes.

Yes, he has every right to do what he wishes, but it doesn't make it right to do so, in the eyes of myself or many others here.

Answer this......if you care to.

How would you like someone to film you takin a shit, pickin your nose or fucking your partner without you knowing??? It's all the same shit buddy, he just happened to be reading a book!

Thats the problem, is people like you find nothing wrong with it at all.

Do I think all fans are proper and respectful??? No, I never said I did. And this is a perfect example of that. I can only speak for myself and what I think is right and wrong, morally. It comes with a gut instinct and a thing called a conscience...you got one?

I don't know exactly what your problem or hang up is with my comment in particular, cause if you read this thread, more than half have the same notion, idea and thoughts on this as I do. So why you picked me, I don't know. If your lacking attention of some kind or looking to pick a spat, you found it dear sir. I'll be glad to entertain you just as long as you can handle what I say.

I singled you out because you said you got a reply from Halfin. That's the only thing you even posted about, and the only thing I said to that was "And?". I don't know where you get the idea the rest of my post was directed at you. But whatever, lets go. What the fuck was the point of saying you got a reply from Halfin? Just to gloat that he sent you a message? Big fucking deal.

What this all comes down to is a persons own morals, level of respect for others and their privacy.

Obviously your level of this is lower than most because you'd never post the bullshit you decided to write in defense of the filmer. If Page said "no" to a photo, autograph, etc (which is what happened according to Ross) than I find it to be pretty low of him to continue to film the guy for almost 5 fuckin minutes.

Yes, he has every right to do what he wishes, but it doesn't make it right to do so, in the eyes of myself or many others here.

Obviously we are all gonna have different thoughts of whats right and wrong. I'm glad to see you lash out at others that dont share your views. Real fucking productive. I am defending the taper just because I dont see a problem with this particular event.

Answer this......if you care to.

How would you like someone to film you takin a shit, pickin your nose or fucking your partner without you knowing??? It's all the same shit buddy, he just happened to be reading a book!

Your fucking high if you thing its the same thing. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. I'd obviously have a problem if someone filmed that, it is blatantly wrong. The reality of it is that isn't what happened. Jimmy was out shopping; not fucking, shitting, or picking his nose. If you can't see a difference between these things, you're fucked up.

Thats the problem, is people like you find nothing wrong with it at all.

Do I think all fans are proper and respectful??? No, I never said I did. And this is a perfect example of that. I can only speak for myself and what I think is right and wrong, morally. It comes with a gut instinct and a thing called a conscience...you got one?

Glad to see that I'm your example of a improper and disrespectful fan. You aren't faring much better. This is a prime example of irrational behavior of fucking superfans...self centered and full of bullshit just waiting to start spewing. Oh and I do have a conscience...my red line is just a little further out than yours.

I singled you out because you said you got a reply from Halfin. That's the only thing you even posted about, and the only thing I said to that was "And?". I don't know where you get the idea the rest of my post was directed at you. But whatever, lets go. What the fuck was the point of saying you got a reply from Halfin? Just to gloat that he sent you a message? Big fucking deal.

Obviously we are all gonna have different thoughts of whats right and wrong. I'm glad to see you lash out at others that dont share your views. Real fucking productive. I am defending the taper just because I dont see a problem with this particular event.

Your fucking high if you thing its the same thing. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. I'd obviously have a problem if someone filmed that, it is blatantly wrong. The reality of it is that isn't what happened. Jimmy was out shopping; not fucking, shitting, or picking his nose. If you can't see a difference between these things, you're fucked up.

Glad to see that I'm your example of a improper and disrespectful fan. You aren't faring much better. This is a prime example of irrational behavior of fucking superfans...self centered and full of bullshit just waiting to start spewing. Oh and I do have a conscience...my red line is just a little further out than yours.

You just proved to me that you haven't read SHIT in this post besides possibly the last few. I have posted here 3 other times, (once about a similar encounter I had with a Rock Star) and nothing until now has been said about Ross (by me), so it's not at all about a fuckin high and mighty FB comment. The reason I posted that is because I was suprised the guy even wrote me a reply and secondly he explained how the dude wouldn't leave them alone after he was told "No"....so get the fuckin story understood before you continue to post shit without having a clue what the hell your even responding to.

Also, the level of disrespectful/proper fans was directed at the taper, not you, but if you wanna put yourself there-that's fine with me, because you seem to be on the same level mentally as the guy who filmed it.

I also like the way you TRY and accuse me of being irrational, when it's exactly the opposite. If you wanna call it that, because I believe what the guy did was wrong morally and respectfully, than so be it. Since you cannot defend your comments in a logical intelligent manner, it's much easier for ya to write me off as irrational.

Oh, so filming someone doing something out of the ordinary as opposed to someone shopping or reading a book makes it ok to fuckin film someone for 5 minutes intentionally without permission??? My point is (dumb ass) that it doesn't matter what the hell he was doing, wheather it be reading a book, or picking his nose....filming is filming, regardless of the act being taped. Get It???

Your the lost/fucked up one my friend. You should go work for the low life Paparazzi-cause your standards of respect for others are on the same page with theirs...It's all the same, just on a cheaper role of film.

So how am I supposed to know what Halfin said to you? All you did was comment you got a message from him, nothing about what he said. Its easy to make comments when you have information the rest of us don't. I read the whole thread. I read your post about Snider and the dolphins. I can respect that you didn't go up to him. I feel that its still a different situation though.

Now knowing the guy was a pest, I can understand. But you fucking failed to even mention that. My standards? How the hell do you think you know my standards? We've butted heads a couple times here...you just like arguing with me.

So how am I supposed to know what Halfin said to you? All you did was comment you got a message from him, nothing about what he said. Its easy to make comments when you have information the rest of us don't. I read the whole thread. I read your post about Snider and the dolphins. I can respect that you didn't go up to him. I feel that its still a different situation though.

Now knowing the guy was a pest, I can understand. But you fucking failed to even mention that. My standards? How the hell do you think you know my standards? We've butted heads a couple times here...you just like arguing with me.

:popcorn2: I'll leave you with this......Cause I'm done giving you attention.

If you care to read further, this may possibly make sense. First off, you singled ME out on this...I didn't go looking for you...so who wants to take the blame for the "argument" here? :whistling: Sure we disagree sometimes, but that's life.

Secondly, did you even care to ASK me what Ross wrote me before you started your pre-madonna lash out? How did I fail to write what you didn't even ask me to explain in the first place...???? But if you would have asked me what he wrote, I would have gladly explained......ASK next time, before you blabber on about nothing.

Like I said PE3, I just was suprised the guy wrote me back. I had no intention of sharing what he said, cause it's really no big deal.

Also, if you read further up DAS or someone posted what he said on his FB page, which is close to what he personally wrote me. It's no secret.

Sorry, I'm not a mind reader.

I said one word to you. One. You're the one that went off on me. In the other post there is no mention of the guy being a pest. You posted about your message and I wanted to know the signigance of it. You seemed to think it was relevant to let us all know that Ross messaged you.

Archived