Robert Plant guesting on Amy Cook album coming out Aug/12

Came across this today, apologies if it has been posted somewhere else

Robert Plant, Ben Kweller, Jonathan Wilson and More Featured on New Amy Cook Album

Austin-based singer-songwriter
will release her new album, entitled
Summer Skin
, on August 28 via Roothouse Records/Thirty Tigers. The 12-song release features an all-star list of guests including Robert Plant, Patty Griffin, Ben Kweller and an equally star-studded band consisting of David Garza (guitar), Me’Shell N’Degeocello (bass), Chris Bruce (guitar) and Jonathan Wilson (drums). Plant performs on two tunes, “It’s Gonna Rain” and “Airplane Driver.”
Summer Skin
comes as the followup to 2010’s
Let The Light In

http://fuckyeahrober...wilson-and-more

• 3 months later...

Song Premiere: Amy Cook Featuring Robert Plant, 'It's Gonna Rain'

'Summer Skin' set for release on August 28th

By ZACH SCHONFELD

August 15, 2012 9:00 AM ET

"Robert Plant had come to the studio with Patty [Griffin] and was sitting next to me in the control room and he said, 'Do you mind if I give it a go?'" Cook tells Rolling Stone. "I did not mind. He sang it a couple of times and it was perfect."

Plant's harmony vocals appear on "It's Gonna Rain," a smoky ballad that makes ample use of the familiar "Stand by Me" chord progression. Cook describes it as a "song of hope," explaining, "'It's Gonna Rain' is a song I wrote for a friend who had had a rough couple of years."

Read more: http://www.rollingst...5#ixzz23cXLwK60

(Release date has been moved to August 28th)

• 3 months later...

Amy Cook

Summer Skin (Root House Records / Thirty Tigers)

Reviewed by Abby Johnston, Fri., Aug. 24, 2012

music_phases4.jpg

Amy Cook

Summer Skin (Root House Records/Thirty Tigers)

A decade of steady gigging has given Amy Cook a weathered, comfortable sound, and Summer Skin perfects it. The Austin songstress follows up the folk base of 2010 breakthrough Let the Light In by delving deeper into steel guitar laced pop. Opener "Waiting 4 the World 2 End" sets the pace at a gallop, bouncing and weaving through conversationally toned lyrics: "Laying in your bed/ listening to the Talking Heads/just waiting for the world to end." Cook just as easily caresses lush folk laments like the title track, which scales up and down the guitar fret highlighting Cook's leathery voice. She balances rumbling songs with the playful and painfully catchy "Hello, Bunny," which hops and skips like its namesake. Guest appearances from newly minted local Robert Plant on the hazy "It's Gonna Rain" and grinding "Airplane Driver" are easily recognizable, but Cook is never overpowered by Plant or other cameos by locals Ben Kweller and Patty Griffin. Not only does Amy Cook own Summer Skin, it fits her like one.

star.gifstar.gifstar.gif

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2012-08-24/amy-cook-summer-skin/

Archived