Photographs from the Great Depression

Jahfin

There's far too many photos to post here (plus the image extension used on the site isn't allowed here); to see them all go to this link at DenverPost.com.

Amazing the clarity of the photos.

Dude....thanks for that link. The entire era that surounds WWII blows my mind. That pic of the B25 factory is really something. I often wonder what America would be like if it wasnt for that generation.

Really good clear pictures.

Your title is "The Great Depression". I thought that was 1929? There seems to be food, drink, petrol etc. in these pictures

When WW 2 was on in Europe from 1939 - 1945, there was blackouts and real hardship. Food rationing was the hardest part. Food was sold buy weight. Butter,eggs and milk were strictly rationed, as was petrol. Of course the rich could dine out in restaurants which were exempt. Things were so bad you couldn't buy most fruit, apples were limited to 1 a week if you could find them and of course the black market boomed. Rationing officially finished in Britain in 1954 when meat became freely available to buy.Coupled with the constant bombing that must have been seriously depressing

Your title is "The Great Depression". I thought that was 1929? There seems to be food, drink, petrol etc. in these pictures

I chose that as the subject line because when you open the link to the Denver Post website, the tab reads "Captured: Great Depression..." Wiki describes the Great Depression thusly:

The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression in the decade preceding World War II. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations, but in most countries it started in about 1929 and lasted until the late 1930s or early 1940s. It was the longest, most widespread, and deepest depression of the 20th century.

Amazing the clarity of the photos.

Not really that supprizing, photography in this era was still either medium or large format rather than the convenience of 35mm.

Even today an old style 8x10 inch field camera offers greater sharpness than any digital alternative.

Not really that supprizing, photography in this era was still either medium or large format rather than the convenience of 35mm.

Even today an old style 8x10 inch field camera offers greater sharpness than any digital alternative.

I'm thinking most of the color shots were Kodachrome and I agree about the 8x10 and have been thinking of getting one for quite some time.

Love the old Deardorff's.

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Archived