Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

OK - so no-one's buying ..

... but if instead he produced an album of wonderful and reasonably-priced new music, and these five images were used as five alternative covers... THEN which one would you pick ?

( Neal Preston for me.. )

I would like to choose Ross Halfin's picture as a cover. I think a current photo of Jimmy sould be better to his new music than an old one.

It's a pity that we just imagine it.

I think the day has come when the phrase "guitar player Jimmy Page" can be retired. For playing guitar seems to be the least of his priorities and desire.

Look, for all the joy, consulation, succour and pleasure Jimmy's music has provided me throughout my life, I don't begrudge the man for wanting to take it easy now. I even can see the appeal these high-priced books and photo-sets and whatnot would have for someone with the wherewithal to afford them.

Silver gelatin prints ARE fucking amazing. The difference between such a print and a book reproduction or a print taken from the internet is striking. What irks me, and where the current Jimmy dishonours the Jimmy of the past is by not at least providing a fan-friendly priced alternative.

One of the best Led Zeppelin photo books ever published was Neal Preston's landmark "Portraits" in 1983. They were first offered by mail-order for only $15 for a signed and numbered edition. I got two of them. Each of the photos in that book is frame-worthy.

I realize it's easy to blame Ross Halfin for this, but it takes two to tango...Jimmy still has the last word; he has the ability to say yes or no to Halfin's ideas. At least I presume he does...let's hope and pray that Jimmy hasn't yet developed any symptoms of Alzheimer's or Dementia and is becoming more dependent on Mr. Halfin.

Note that only one of the photos is by Halfin...the other four are by Preston and other photographers. I assume they are getting a piece of the action, too? Actually, even if I had the dough to get this, I would probably pass as the 5 photos chosen aren't really my favourites...they could have picked better ones I think. Only Neal Preston's is one that I would pay good money for.

But yeah, as someone said, Jimmy is starting to come off as a classier version of Gene Simmons. It is hard to reconcile this musically dormant huckster Jimmy with the vibrant, shape-shifting, sexual beacon charismatic Jimmy I saw on stage all those years ago. Either you are making music or you are not. It shouldn't take...when was that interview promising new music? 2008? 2009?...three years to make an album.

I hate to keep using Jack White as an example...but I just saw Jack White play an amazing concert two weeks ago with his FOURTH different band in what seems in as many years. Christ, "Icky Thump" was released in 2007, and the White Stripes last official release was the live album "Under the Great White Northern Lights" in 2010. In that time frame Jack White has also given us albums with The Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Wanda Jackson, and countless others.

THAT is what a working guitarist/producer does...make and produce music. Not worry about selling memorabilia.

So come on Jimmy. Either you are a working musician or you're not...and it's no problem if you don't feel it anymore. Just be honest with us and say "that's all, folks" instead of promising new music in interviews when there is none.

I think the day has come when the phrase "guitar player Jimmy Page" can be retired. For playing guitar seems to be the least of his priorities and desire.

Look, for all the joy, consulation, succour and pleasure Jimmy's music has provided me throughout my life, I don't begrudge the man for wanting to take it easy now. I even can see the appeal these high-priced books and photo-sets and whatnot would have for someone with the wherewithal to afford them.

Silver gelatin prints ARE fucking amazing. The difference between such a print and a book reproduction or a print taken from the internet is striking. What irks me, and where the current Jimmy dishonours the Jimmy of the past is by not at least providing a fan-friendly priced alternative.

One of the best Led Zeppelin photo books ever published was Neal Preston's landmark "Portraits" in 1983. They were first offered by mail-order for only $15 for a signed and numbered edition. I got two of them. Each of the photos in that book is frame-worthy.

I realize it's easy to blame Ross Halfin for this, but it takes two to tango...Jimmy still has the last word; he has the ability to say yes or no to Halfin's ideas. At least I presume he does...let's hope and pray that Jimmy hasn't yet developed any symptoms of Alzheimer's or Dementia and is becoming more dependent on Mr. Halfin.

Note that only one of the photos is by Halfin...the other four are by Preston and other photographers. I assume they are getting a piece of the action, too? Actually, even if I had the dough to get this, I would probably pass as the 5 photos chosen aren't really my favourites...they could have picked better ones I think. Only Neal Preston's is one that I would pay good money for.

But yeah, as someone said, Jimmy is starting to come off as a classier version of Gene Simmons. It is hard to reconcile this musically dormant huckster Jimmy with the vibrant, shape-shifting, sexual beacon charismatic Jimmy I saw on stage all those years ago. Either you are making music or you are not. It shouldn't take...when was that interview promising new music? 2008? 2009?...three years to make an album.

I hate to keep using Jack White as an example...but I just saw Jack White play an amazing concert two weeks ago with his FOURTH different band in what seems in as many years. Christ, "Icky Thump" was released in 2007, and the White Stripes last official release was the live album "Under the Great White Northern Lights" in 2010. In that time frame Jack White has also given us albums with The Raconteurs, Dead Weather, Wanda Jackson, and countless others.

THAT is what a working guitarist/producer does...make and produce music. Not worry about selling memorabilia.

So come on Jimmy. Either you are a working musician or you're not...and it's no problem if you don't feel it anymore. Just be honest with us and say "that's all, folks" instead of promising new music in interviews when there is none.

I heartily agree with this.

I find it incredibly sad that he has done pretty much nothing musically creative in the public realm (IMGL excepted... sort of) this century.

Obviously he only cares to do that with Robert. Perhaps Robert gave him a 'clean or not at all' ultimatum towards the end of the Page-Plant era, and he thought that when he was finally substance/alcohol free Robert would come scuttling back and all would be hunky-dory again. But then, even Robert wouldn't actually come out and say publicly 'never again' (although I was lucky enough to see him talking to some friends a few months before the O2, and he was ADAMANT about it - It will be a cold day in hell before RP works with JP or JPJ again from the sound of it.).

As a guitarist, from what I have seen of Jimmy's playing - O2 included - it's obvious he doesn't practise enough, if at all, broken finger or not. All that says to me is that playing just doesn't do it for him any more.

I really wish he'd just say 'sorry guys, no more new music'. But he's obviously enjoying his legacy, at least photographically. It's a shame he's evidently lost touch with the grass roots of the people that really did dig the music he made, and allowed him to live the lifestyle he does, and did.

I'm rambling - Jimmy take your (and Ross's) head out of your arse, look around you and do something 'real'. Stop looking at the £ signs, you don't need the money, it's crass, and counterintuitively, cheap.

Suddenly I have a great deal more respect for Robert Plant selling his rights to Zep in the early 80's and investing it back in a new career and new music. What a brave move.

I blame myself.

Well, not really, but one explanation here may be that JP has seen a lot of unauthorized Zeppelin- or Page-related material put out in the last few years (including two of my books, Magus, Musician, Man, and Led Zeppelin FAQ). It may be that his website and sales of various memorabilia are his way of getting in on what looks like a lucrative market.

A lot of rock musicians - and yeah, Gene Simmons is an example - have been up front in saying that they want a cut of anything sold with their name on it. Even the Beatles lost millions from the sales of bootleg or pirated Beatle merchandise in '64 and '65. So maybe Page just felt he should capitalize on a public appetite for stuff connected with him. I'm not condoning the prices he charges, and I'm not shelling out for any of it, but as a public figure he may feel he's entitled to reap the rewards from his own "brand." (He was listed as an Executive Producer of It Might Get Loud, which is probably how he consented to participate in that project.)

On the other hand, it's not like he needs the money, and there is Brad Tolinski's "Light and Shade" interview collection on the way. Anyhow, I'll stick with recommending my own books. They're pretty good, I think, and they're definitely a lot more affordable.

I blame myself.

Well, not really, but one explanation here may be that JP has seen a lot of unauthorized Zeppelin- or Page-related material put out in the last few years (including two of my books, Magus, Musician, Man, and Led Zeppelin FAQ). It may be that his website and sales of various memorabilia are his way of getting in on what looks like a lucrative market.

A lot of rock musicians - and yeah, Gene Simmons is an example - have been up front in saying that they want a cut of anything sold with their name on it. Even the Beatles lost millions from the sales of bootleg or pirated Beatle merchandise in '64 and '65. So maybe Page just felt he should capitalize on a public appetite for stuff connected with him. I'm not condoning the prices he charges, and I'm not shelling out for any of it, but as a public figure he may feel he's entitled to reap the rewards from his own "brand." (He was listed as an Executive Producer of It Might Get Loud, which is probably how he consented to participate in that project.)

On the other hand, it's not like he needs the money, and there is Brad Tolinski's "Light and Shade" interview collection on the way. Anyhow, I'll stick with recommending my own books. They're pretty good, I think, and they're definitely a lot more affordable.

Nice plug B) .

Ugh I feel like I'm letting Jimmy down as a fan. I couldn't afford his book and now I really can't afford this! I would love to buy something he puts out, but I just cant. :(

It was a surprise today though and it makes me wonder if he's secretly been doing any other projects (maybe music?...)

And did everyone see this on his website? What a cutie!

jorgen.png

Ugh I feel like I'm letting Jimmy down as a fan. I couldn't afford his book and now I really can't afford this! I would love to buy something he puts out, but I just cant. :(

It was a surprise today though and it makes me wonder if he's secretly been doing any other projects (maybe music?...)

And did everyone see this on his website? What a cutie!

jorgen.png

It's difficult. I want to hate him for these ridiculous prices, but then you see him so happy on that picture...

I'm a softy and it's a good thing I haven't got the money. Now if Mr. Page would release something AFFORDABLE instead...

After lying down in a darkened room for a while. I would like to say £7000!!! someone has missed out a decimal point somewhere.

Good luck to whoever does intend to purchase these fine art prints, :hysterical: Seven Grand....I need to lie down again.....

I really thought this was a joke...

Honestly, what is this about? 7.000 pounds for a signed photo?

As much as I love Jimmy, does he think it's fair asking that money for that? I could understand his worthy biography, the LP's re-editions, they were not the most desired things he could release but ok. But this?

Let's see what happens...

It's difficult. I want to hate him for these ridiculous prices, but then you see him so happy on that picture...

I'm a softy and it's a good thing I haven't got the money. Now if Mr. Page would release something AFFORDABLE instead...

I'm glad you feel this way too! :)

I would be smiling too if I knew I could demand $7,000 for some lousy pictures AND get it. Yep, I would be one smiling motherfucker!

I would be smiling too if I knew I could demand $7,000 for some lousy pictures AND get it. Yep, I would be one smiling motherfucker!

I would be laughing out loud while having an idea like this.

" ....Hey what if I... sell a picture of my guitars for....no....hahaha!"

I think it's £7000 which xe.com says converted to USD is $11,195.81 -- I'd be laughing too but I'd be laughing with a wonder if I'm fucking up tone to it.

I'm smelling Halfin. I've never been able to understand why Jimmy would befriend such a character. It's even harder to believe that Jimmy would take his advise on something like this, if he indeed did which I am of the opinion that he did.

With £7,000.00 (or 8,794.73 EUR)... well, I'd better save a bit more of money and have his Gibson signature Les Paul. At least I can play it :P

No, seriously. With that money I could pay for almost two years the renting of a gorgeous flat (that of course I can't afford now) only for me in the heart of my city. That says it all!

Hello Again all.

I just happened to get my daily ration of "JP OTD", was so gobbsmacked, I had to come back to see what the general concensus of this was among forum members.

I am glad to see the brave stand up! I hope this thread behaves itself and doesn't get deleted, because certain unmentionable people ought to see what they've done!

Yes, because he's smiling all the way to the bank. B)

Black-Dog,

Jimmy has not had any ideas in a very long time. The selling of £1,000 limited edition photos is scraping the barrel, and soon there will be no barrel left to scrape!

Yeah, last time I checked Death Wish's "Limited Edition" appears to be quite copius, aside from the sold out editions bought by most people who were just looking for an autograph. How much sooner? IMHO, He's been scraping.

Obviously Jimmy Page's desire to cease as a guitarist is blantantly so. How long ago was the "new radical frame" interview? I was so excited to hear this news, thought there was hope, this guy who inspired me to pick up a guitar is going to breathe life into this lifeless Arena. He starts his own website, Perhaps new music to come? No. This is reason I participated in the Forums and this is also the reason I left the site. As a child of an Economist, I know when I'm being sold a line. So much false hope unwarranted.

It's the old BAIT AND SWITCH routine.

"The goal of the bait-and-switch is to persuade buyers to purchase the substitute goods as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs expended to try to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin." -wikipedia

As a guitarist, from what I have seen of Jimmy's playing - O2 included - it's obvious he doesn't practise enough, if at all, broken finger or not. All that says to me is that playing just doesn't do it for him any more.

I really wish he'd just say 'sorry guys, no more new music'. But he's obviously enjoying his legacy, at least photographically. It's a shame he's evidently lost touch with the grass roots of the people that really did dig the music he made, and allowed him to live the lifestyle he does, and did.

I'm rambling - Jimmy take your (and Ross's) head out of your arse, look around you and do something 'real'. Stop looking at the £ signs, you don't need the money, it's crass, and counterintuitively, cheap.

Suddenly I have a great deal more respect for Robert Plant selling his rights to Zep in the early 80's and investing it back in a new career and new music. What a brave move.

I too saw The O2 as uninspiring, to be frank. Never want, or have any intentions of buying that concert if it were to be released. Might be a way for some folks to make a quick Buck. Cause that's what it's about, right?

Several years ago I severed my fretting pinky finger, tendons, artery, nerve. I was left permanently impaired. I give him a bit of leeway because of my own experience. But the difference between Jimmy and I is that I did not jump at the opportunity to let what I love to do die, which is playing music. Music, for it's true intended purpose, For Enjoyment. To Relate and Connect.

Music is a form of Art and Art has been endowed to each man and each woman. Music has been endowed to the birds. Each person on this planet could open themselves up, pick up a guitar and reach the levels of Jimmy Page and any other of his ilk! I say this because I am so tired of people looking at JP and others as if they are Gods and I am sincerely worried that they have started to truly believe that themselves!

I just do not understand how someone could have the audacity to release exorbitantly priced products during a World Wide Depression? Doesn't he watch the news? Doesn't he see his countrymen protesting? Does he not hear their cries?

This Rock Star welfare must come to an end! We're depressed! We need hope! People cannot afford to send Rock Stars on vacations through overpriced tickets and merchandise any longer. We're all to blame here for paying in!

M*^#A*&$#M#*$&M*#&O#&^@N

Severely, SEVERELY, disappointed.

I appologize for the Raving!

I'll go Led Wallet on this new offering.

Very Funny . Nothing shocking to me . I have said for years now that Jimmy Page has no songs. He can't retire because none of his peers have retired and they actually still make music, so he will continue to lead people on. I can't wait for the release of that 1 minute song he has""Embryo" maybe he can have Ross Halfin sign vinyl copies of it .

Actually, even if I had the dough to get this, I would probably pass as the 5 photos chosen aren't really my favourites...they could have picked better ones I think. Only Neal Preston's is one that I would pay good money for.

Not YOUR favourites? Oh, but they have the endorsement of the National Portrait Gallery... so they MUST be the ones to have.

They're part of 5 recent additions to the National Portrait Gallery archive - you may have seen the publicity as one of the images ( the RH one of course ) just happened to be the one which became the 100,000th to be digitised. Who could argue with any of that? - snap them up now.

Except that until 2012, according to its website, the NPG did not apparently have any individual portraits of Jimmy Page. He appeared on a striking 1966 photograph of the Yardbirds by Gered Mankowitz. This is listed as having been purchased by the National Portrait Gallery in 2010.

Their Acquisition and Disposals policy states that images can be obtained by purchase, acquisition or gift.

And their five subsequent acquisitions - just by chance the ones now offered on Jimmypage.com - were obtained by gift.

Each of them has been "Given by the wish of James Patrick (Jimmy) Page - 2012" ... that would be: given, and publicised, shortly before the planned release of the 5 photos and, presumably, once the 5 photographers had been signed up to the marketing project ( and perhaps for some of them the kudos of the NPG inclusion would encourage them to take a smaller cut ? )

We all have a choice about whether we get out our credit cards or not. And if Jimmy's marketing anything, he might as well have PR/management/marketing people who like to play sharp and mean - it's what he had in the past after all..

But it looks like the National Portrait Gallery has been badly hoodwinked here - and also looks like, having accepted (obviously! ) that JP as an individual deserves inclusion in their archive, they have failed to consider other fabulous portraits because these 5 - admittedly gorgeous - images happen to come free. Though at a different kind of price.

It's galling. but not surprising, to see that Sir Page has pissed off more than 2 people with his latest offering.

Seriously Jimmy. Ditch Leech Halfin, get back on the pulse - you SO had it before the horse. We all eagerly await your re-connection with US. Get it back and give us something of WORTH before you and your talent have totally expired.

Archived