Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

Truth and Beauty,

Excellent post. When I made the posting on the news forum about Halfin's photo being the 100,00th portrait, it occured to me at the time that this is all too much of a coincidence. It had to be the portrait of Jimmy, that just happened to be taken by Halfin - why not by one of the other four? And that particular announcement was made just days before these prints were put up for sale. I have come to the conclusion that Jimmy and his sidekicks must think we are all as thick as two short planks of wood!!!

I looked again at the JimmyPage.com site re the prints' pricing and this is what it states:-

"Pricing

As is customary in the art world, the price of the Fine Art Prints will increase as the editions sell through, starting at £1000 for the lowest available individual edition number. Once an edition is sold out, it will never be made available again."

Now, unless I am reading this wrongly, it looks like £1,000/£7,000 is in fact the starting price point. If that is indeed the case, how much will they be by the time you get to the end of the run?

I feel sorry for the stallholder in the market who was refused a photo by Jimmy - he should have walked up and offered him (or Halfin) £1,000 - that might have done the trick. For a number of years now, Jimmy has been refusing autographs to fans on the basis that he was preserving his signature for charity auctions - why therefore put out a photographic book, prints and vinyl which incorporate his autograph? The truth of the matter with Jimmy is that he will give his signature, or allow a photo, if you hand over the cash.

They are simply asserting these prints will fetch far more than £1,000/£7,000 on the secondary market once they have sold out.

Jimmy's unwillingness to sign autographs in public is rooted in his disdain for the hordes of professional autograph seekers who hound celebrities for signatures at every turn. Offering signed albums and prints through his website offers fans an opportunity

to acquire a genuine autograph at market value. Bear in mind he will still occassionally sign in public for free but very seldom.

For those who don't reside in London, Rio or Pattaya :P you have virtually no chance for a free autograph encounter in public.

I have a lot to say on the subject but most of it can't be posted since it would be full of expletives.

However, the math is all wrong:

£1,000 per photo (really? And they arrive unframed for that price!)

5 photos = £5,000

Where did the number £7,000 come from as a price for a box set? £2,000 for a box?!! What is it made of, gold? For that price the box had better include his private phone number, all access to his guitar collection and a promissory note stating that he will be my f*ck buddy anytime I am in London.

Either he is out of touch with his fans(and reality), he is getting greedy and bad advice or all of the heroin,coke and JD really did ruin his brain.

However, the math is all wrong:

£1,000 per photo (really? And they arrive unframed for that price!)

5 photos = £5,000

Where did the number £7,000 come from as a price for a box set? £2,000 for a box?!! What is it made of, gold?

You're right, this was my first thought me too.

They are simply asserting these prints will fetch far more than £1,000/£7,000 on the secondary market once they have sold out.

Jimmy's unwillingness to sign autographs in public is rooted in his disdain for the hordes of professional autograph seekers who hound celebrities for signatures at every turn. Offering signed albums and prints through his website offers fans an opportunity

to acquire a genuine autograph at market value. Bear in mind he will still occassionally sign in public for free but very seldom.

For those who don't reside in London, Rio or Pattaya :P you have virtually no chance for a free autograph encounter in public.

Saj,

Thank you for clarifying this :) . My confusion arises from their wording. I would have understood had they said "the value .... will increase", rather than "the price ... will increase".

Pattaya? :hysterical:

Elaborate. You proposed doing this for whom?

I won't elaborate on what company I work for but I defended this opinion in informal discussions among colleagues. What I proposed is to commercialize physical luxury items in order to reintroduce the principle of scarcity in music. Items that can't be easily reproduced digitally. The pics of course can but the physical product itself can't.

However, these photos are much too pricey.

IWhere did the number £7,000 come from as a price for a box set? £2,000 for a box?!!

I couldn't work out the logic of this either. Given that it is possible to buy all five for £1,000, it looks like this is one hell of a special box. £2,000? :faint1:

a promissory note stating that he will be my f*ck buddy anytime I am in London.

I don't think you would have to splash out on the photos for this service.

Either he is out of touch with his fans(and reality), he is getting greedy and bad advice or all of the heroin,coke and JD really did ruin his brain.

Sadly, there will be people buying these to keep them as an investment. It would be better if people didn't buy, and JPP and RH were left with a load of stock.

I won't elaborate on what company I work for but I defended this opinion in informal discussions among colleagues. What I proposed is to commercialize physical luxury items in order to reintroduce the principle of scarcity in music. Items that can't be easily reproduced digitally. The pics of course can but the physical product itself can't.

However, these photos are much too pricey.

Thanks, didn't intend to interrogate you, just genuinely curious. Jimmy can do whatever he wants with his website, fine by me. I enjoy "On This Day", warts and all. Having said that, he putting up some walls between himself and a lot of loyal fans either through premium pricing, adherence to vinyl only, etc. I do hope all his recent talk of new music "manifests", but I am coming around to the idea that he's more or less retired. Just too bad he keeps leading everyone on if that's the case. He's certainly entitled to call it quits if playing with Robert is the only thing that can motivate him to be creative these days...

So... that's 10 box sets at £7000 each - £70,000

and then 40 of each the 5 photos, that's 200 photos at £1000 each - £200,000.

£270,000 in total.

It can't have taken more than, say, a week to print all those photos. 5 days worth of enlarging and developing.... I suppose they could charge £1000 a day, so that's £5000 in labour.

I realise that the whole silver gelatin thing is special, but if you're buying 250 sheets of the paper you're not going to pay vast money for it. At £50 a sheet (say) that's £12500 in materials. Plus another coupla thou for acid-free packaging etc. (there's no way a cardboard box costs £2000.....).

That's around £20,000 to produce the set. Let's be generous and say £25,000.

That's £245,000 clear profit.... How much is Jimmy's signature worth FFS?

No wonder he doesn't play gigs any more.

Kenog, you seem to be having trouble with the "Quote" button. :)

I finally had a chance to watch this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show on HBO the other night and I wonder if others here had the same thought I did during the show: Where was Jimmy?

Particularly during the Freddy King and Donovan segments. It was Jimmy Page who partly was responsible for leading me to Freddy King in the early 70s when he name-checked him in a Led Zeppelin article I read back then. And we all know his connection to Donovan. It seemed like a missed opportunity on Jimmy's part to get out and play.

It's not just this HOF thing...Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Ronnie Wood, Keef, and countless others seem willing and able to play various blues festivals or tribute concerts or jam with a friend's band. Except for Jimmy.

Which, depending how you feel about some of these festivals, may be a good thing. But I find it strange, for instance, that Jimmy has never appeared at Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival.

Having overcome the price shock, I can see that Jimmy does have a interest materials & craftsmanship which is good, but I do

hope the website does not become some sort of high priced bazaar..

If anyone on the forum does buy the prints, may I wish you the best of luck explaining the purchase to your partner!

It's not just this HOF thing...Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Ronnie Wood, Keef, and countless others seem willing and able to play various blues festivals or tribute concerts or jam with a friend's band. Except for Jimmy.

Which, depending how you feel about some of these festivals, may be a good thing. But I find it strange, for instance, that Jimmy has never appeared at Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival.

Personally, I am glad to not see Jimmy Page doing Hall of Fame shows. I saw Jeff Beck in concert not too long ago..walked out (that's another story). I think a lot of these "rock stars" have teetered the edge of 'old hack',IMHO of course. Presidential Campaigning, selling Fender phones, leasing their music to any ol' commercial on the block! This is something I could not accuse JP of. I don't hate the guy, I just don't understand the pussyfooting.

I read an interview in a magazine while at the store couple years back. I believe it was the Guitar World 3D issue? He said something quite curious at the end, left me thinking...Something to the effect of Record Companies have bound and gagged their artists... I don't disagree! It was just out of no where. Somebody please find this interview.

I can totally understand eradicating the whole "Gimme your autograph" scenario by making them readily available online. But I don't care about autographs, that's why I haven't bought anything.

Some people are in it for the "fame" aspect, I could care less. I just want to hear some fuckin' rock and roll. You Know?

It wouldn't bother me if he released this pricey merchandise AFTER new music, because new music is what I signed up for. I don't have a thousand to spend because if JP can't play small venue, I'll probably need to save up my dough for some tickets.

<--Not in the Wealthy income bracket.

Personally, I am glad to not see Jimmy Page doing Hall of Fame shows. I saw Jeff Beck in concert not too long ago..walked out (that's another story). I think a lot of these "rock stars" have teetered the edge of 'old hack',IMHO of course. Presidential Campaigning, selling Fender phones, leasing their music to any ol' commercial on the block! This is something I could not accuse JP of. I don't hate the guy, I just don't understand the pussyfooting.

Page inducted (as well as performed with) Jeff Beck during the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies in 2010. He also took part in that massive guitar jam on "Train Kept A' Rollin'" in 2009. He's (along with the other surviving members of Zeppelin) has also allowed their music to be used in a variety of movies, television programs and a couple of Cadillac commercials over the years. He may not have the highest profile among rock stars of his age but he's never really struck me as having that sort of personality anyway.

Good Post, Steve. There are also many fake autographs out there, especially on EBAY, so knowing for sure Jimmy's autograph will help hold the value, if not increase it. Jimmy is also a very private person. I have never really heard him discuss much of anything outside of music and he seems very selective in where he goes or what he does.

Jimmy Page is not going on stage to trade solos with Billy Gibbons , Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamassa. He would come up with some excuse like always " Don't have my Guitar " " I don't need to do solos " etc etc. He would only play if if rehearsed with someone first. No off the cuff Jams for him. I'm still wondering why John Paul Jones gave up on Jimmy. Did he see the writing on the wall or should I say the lack of writing Jimmy has done in 20 years .

I'm still wondering why John Paul Jones gave up on Jimmy. Did he see the writing on the wall or should I say the lack of writing Jimmy has done in 20 years .

Curious as to why your stating JPJ gave up on Jimmy? It may be true, but do we know that or assuming that? I have always wondered what happened during the post 2007 reunion and why nothing came of it. No one talked much about it......It may be as simple as Jimmy wanting to play Zeppelin material (with or without Plant) and JPJ wanting to move on and write/perform new stuff.

Archived